Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Suddenly my Foobar can't deal with WavPack anymore (Read 1339 times) previous topic - next topic

Suddenly my Foobar can't deal with WavPack anymore

Yo, been using f2k for a few years already without any major problems, but today something weird happened. Suddenly, f2k can't encode to WavPack anymore. Not only that, it can't play some as well. Oddly enough, this problem does not happen with all my wavpack files, just more recent ones.
I updated my f2k to 1.6.6 not long ago, but I haven't encoded anything in a while, so I can't say with 100% sure if this is 1.6.6 fault, but I have so many things done and configured that rolling back to an older version will be too much of a pain to test.

I have the Free Encoder Pack installed, and also wavpack-5.2.0x64 CLI files I got from wavpack site itself a while ago. Using any of the utilities from wavpack-5.2.0x64 via CLI works perfectly fine, and the files can be played on other players such as MPV, or with ffplay. If I try to encode a file to wavpack using foobar, be it with the native wavpack encoder or the external encoder (configured with the custom encoder option), it fails. If I encode a file to wavpack using the CLI, and try to play it on foobar, foobar will not play it. But if I try to play a wavpack file made a while ago with foobar, it will play perfectly fine. The only change between my last time encoding to wavpack and now is the foobar version, I hadn't updated anything else.

When trying to encode, it apparently do encode, but something in the end makes it fail. The small window with the progress bar opens, the progress bar goes on as usual, the speed is the same as usual, but at the end it always fails. Every problem mentioned above gives me a similar error message: Object Not Found. When encoding it says "An error occurred while finalizing the encoding process (Object not found)", when trying to change tags, it will say at the bottom of the tag editor window: "Could not load info from 1 file: Object Not Found" and there it goes. No matter the folder names or the file names, f2k decided it don't want to deal with wavpack anymore.

My CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600, using Windows 10 Pro 20h2 with the latest updates (not on the Insiders program), 64bit version. Any clues?

Re: Suddenly my Foobar can't deal with WavPack anymore

Reply #1
but I have so many things done and configured that rolling back to an older version will be too much of a pain to test.
You can do testing with fresh clean portable installation of fb2k, installed in separated folder. Your current fb2k installation will remain untouched.

Reply #2
Nice save, somehow I forgot we could make a portable install of foobar. Fortunately I kept the 1.6.5 installer here. Turns out, on 1.6.5 everything is working perfectly fine! I did 2 portable installations to be sure, one of 1.6.5 and one of 1.6.6, did a full installation and nothing else (no encoder packs nor components) for either of them, either on its own folder too of course.
On 1.6.5, wavpack files can be played, tags can be edited, files can be converted to and from wavpack no problem whatsoever
On 1.6.6 it happens as I said on the first post. In this meantime I also tried using wavpack-5.4.0x86 as external encoder on my main foobar which is on 1.6.6 and it also did not work.

Looks like 1.6.6 might have broken something with wavpack
Fortunately I can use the portable 1.6.5 to deal with my wavpack needs for now at least. Thanks for reminding me of the portable installation option.

Reply #3
Maybe PM Peter (and CC me, because I'm curious) with a file that's broken on 1.6.6 and not 1.6.5?

Reply #4
Yes, please share a sample WavPack file that fails to decode for us to look into.

In meanwhile, I added version 1.6.5 to old versions archive, so anyone else affected by this can get it:
https://www.foobar2000.org/old
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #5
UPDATE
Apparently WavPack lossy without correction stopped working. A fix will be available shortly. No need to send samples.

Reply #6
Oops sorry was not around for the day, only managed to see the replies now. So, don't need a sample file anymore?
Apparently WavPack lossy without correction stopped working.
Hmm now that I think of it, I haven't tried making non lossy wavpacks, and the ones that were working were indeed, not lossy. I adopted wavpack as my main format to carry music on my smartphone, so I came around today with an objective in mind and ended up not testing non lossy conversions. I just did an encode to wavpack lossless and it did worked on my main 1.6.6 install.

Thanks for the attention!

Reply #7
1.6.7 beta released, WavPack regression has been corrected. Thanks for reporting this.