Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XLD Requested Features List (Read 202965 times) previous topic - next topic

XLD Requested Features List

Reply #175
A shame that there's no way to actually test C2 compatibility with XLD (or with anything else on OS X).

Pepzhez - I'm not sure on compatibility of C2, but I have been able to report ability of C2 or otherwise using the drutil command. There's a lot of config info it will spit out for your drive that you can trawl through. A specific one to get C2 capabilities is the following.

Code: [Select]
drutil getconfig supported | grep -i c2

The result of this command for my drive (Mashita UJ-85J) is the following.

[blockquote]Logical unit will return C2 error data[/blockquote]

Reply #176
It might be good to start a separate thread for XLD results with different drives, and keep this more for feature requests.
Also might be good to start a XLD use questions thread. Could be useful until the help files come along --- and actually help build them.

-------

Feature request - Make user definable offsets part of the auto offset function. I just got a drive that isn't included, and I really miss the nice brainless quality of the auto setting.

-------

Back to drives.... My Plextor, and even more so, my brand new Lite-On are working great!

Reply #177
knucklehead I started a thread about drives already.  At the time no one seemed to be interested Here is a link 
I added your feature suggestion to the list!

Reply #178
knucklehead I started a thread about drives already.  At the time no one seemed to be interested. Here is a link

A bit different.
Drive use results with all the logs and whatnot. And not limited to OEM drives (who want's to be limited to them ...  ).

Reply #179

knucklehead I started a thread about drives already.  At the time no one seemed to be interested. Here is a link

A bit different.
Drive use results with all the logs and whatnot. And not limited to OEM drives (who want's to be limited to them ...  ).

Thats a good idea to include log reports with the drive information.  I started a new thread about drive use results with all the logs. I also started a XLD Master Thread to help organize all the important threads about XLD such as: The Drive use results with all the logs,Feature Suggestions, OEM Drives and other relevant threads that have been posted.  This way new users will have an easier time finding all the important threads that the older HA XLD users are already aware of.

Thanks 

Reply #180
@macmanforhire: Great idea. Can we also have a thread to capture found problems with XLD, which is slightly different to feature requests? I'm not keen on polluting the feature request thread with these items.

Thanks.

Reply #181
mookr just posted the Master Thread List.  I will add a found problems and bug list.  You know Mac users want everything simply and laid out for them, or at least thats why I bought a Mac!

Reply #182
A shame that there's no way to actually test C2 compatibility with XLD (or with anything else on OS X).
Pepzhez - I'm not sure on compatibility of C2, but I have been able to report ability of C2 or otherwise using the drutil command. There's a lot of config info it will spit out for your drive that you can trawl through. A specific one to get C2 capabilities is the following.

Code: [Select]
drutil getconfig supported | grep -i c2

The result of this command for my drive (Mashita UJ-85J) is the following.

[blockquote]Logical unit will return C2 error data[/blockquote]

Note: remember that there's a separate transaction to ask the drive if it supports C2 error pointers.  That's different than the transaction to request (well, flag in the Read CD command really) that the C2 error pointers be delivered via a Read CD command. 

In addition to that difference, there's the quality and reliability of the C2 pointers returned.  This, in turn relates to the entire data reading/analysis chain that takes the reflected light, turns it into signal, digitizes the signal, decodes the signal into raw data, syncs and reorganizes the data from raw into various cooked formats, and in parallel performs error detection and correction using C1, C2, CIRC, etc.  That all varies from drive model to drive model and sometimes firmware to firmware.

My point being that yes, you should verify that a drive reports that it supports C2 before you start requesting the supplementary C2 error pointers when you request reads, but that does not mean you should automatically feel comfortable with the quality/accuracy of the C2 data being delivered.

The daefeatures.co.uk database is a good start, but again, you really need to test several drives with the tool using a known scratched disc to get a feel for the quality of the reads the drives make (with and without the C2 error pointers to help the software focus on the problem areas).

-brendan

Reply #183
Note: remember that there's a separate transaction to ask the drive if it supports C2 error pointers ...
-brendan

Brendan - thanks for the detailed information. I'm not familiar with the low level details of C2 at all - I've been searching for a way on OS X to see if a drive can report on C2 or not and drutil was the only way I've found so far. Of course, several layers of implementation aspects make the story far trickier. Your information is valuable - anyway we can have a primer on C2 and its foibles put in the wiki?

Is there one drive that "does it all" or is that a/the holy grail of drives?! I'm searching for a SATA one right now and getting this level of detail in order to make a decision is very difficult it seems.

Reply #184
When transcoding individual files have XLD respect the Format of filename structure.

Reply #185
Your information is valuable - anyway we can have a primer on C2 and its foibles put in the wiki?

We can make a dedicated page to C2 errors and how exactly they work. Before I wrote the Secure Ripping page I was actually unsure about them. The only problem is we would need feedback from the community, because there isn't much out there about the low underlying structure of what exactly C1/C2 errors are. To discuss C2 error's, besides the fact that they are read-errors from a compact disc we would have to go into what exactly Reed-Solomon codes are and then after that everything just get's real messy without having a degree in Comp. Sci or EE for that matter.  My point is basically if we can get some feedback from the more experienced users on here I would be happy to put another wiki page together. 
budding I.T professional

Reply #186
Option for it to automagically query its databases for metadata, rather than having to be told to go look.
These features will be implemented (priority is low).
Quote from tmkk XLD developer

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but it would be nice if XLD would save downloaded/modified metadata to its OWN database for retrieval later. As it stands, if XLD hangs during a rip, and has to be shut down, any modifications made to downloaded metadata have too be re-entered... which is time-consuming.

EDIT:

Also, the ability to cancel or skip the pregap detection when mounting a disc would be nice. Maybe having the option to detect the pre-gap AFTER editing metadata, etc.

Reply #187
Ability to switch to Gracenote info if you already used freedb.
Although the Gracenote feature is fairly idiot proof once you know to have iTunes open, I'm stuck with a lot of freedb tags in XLD that I can't seem to replace with the much better Gracenote offerings.

Reply #188
@ ozmosis82 I added both your suggestion to the list. I think it would be great to have a safety net like that when editing metadata.

@ knucklehead I added your suggestion to the list.  It would be convenient to allow you to switch form the freedb tags to Gracenote tags.

I would  like to suggest to add the ability to search albumartexchange.com for album art. This site has higher resolution album art images that have been cleaned up. The Album Art Exchange database of album art seems to growing at a rapid pace. I think this would a great asset to add to XLD allowing the user to get retrieve more consistent  quality album art.

Reply #189
@ ozmosis82 I added both your suggestion to the list. I think it would be great to have a safety net like that when editing metadata.

@ knucklehead I added your suggestion to the list.  It would be convenient to allow you to switch form the freedb tags to Gracenote tags.

I would  like to suggest to add the ability to search albumartexchange.com for album art. This site has higher resolution album art images that have been cleaned up. The Album Art Exchange database of album art seems to growing at a rapid pace. I think this would a great asset to add to XLD allowing the user to get retrieve more consistent  quality album art.

Here a vote for something like Max's iTunes metadata scripting unless it turns out I am the only one for whom the "open iTunes first" thing does not always work.

Reply #190
Ability to switch to Gracenote info if you already used freedb.
Although the Gracenote feature is fairly idiot proof once you know to have iTunes open, I'm stuck with a lot of freedb tags in XLD that I can't seem to replace with the much better Gracenote offerings.

Seconded. The ability to select GraceNote as an option (and also force a re-read of GraceNote in certain situations) would be very useful. I've found an issue with multi-session disks (listed on the issue thread) that would have benefited greatly from enabling a re-read of GraceNote specifically.

Reply #191
Add to log the peak level for each track (EAC log does).

Apparently CDs from different pressings, even though from the same master, can have different CRCs. They would have the same peak levels so that info in the log could aid verification.

Reply #192
tim.lance I added your feature suggestion to the list.  I have not heard from tmkk in sometime.  I last sent him an email on 9/26/08 but have not heard back from him.  I will try another email soon.  I hope everything is ok he always replied to emails very quickly.  I just don't won't bother him.  I hope is just taking some time for himself and everything is ok.

Reply #193
tim.lance I added your feature suggestion to the list.  I have not heard from tmkk in sometime.  I last sent him an email on 9/26/08 but have not heard back from him.  I will try another email soon.  I hope everything is ok he always replied to emails very quickly.  I just don't won't bother him.  I hope is just taking some time for himself and everything is ok.
Actually just heard back from him and if, in Preferences, under the CD Rip tab, the user ticks "Scan ReplayGain," the info is shown. I'm getting corroboration from some folks that such would suffice for their needs/wants. Will get back to you.

Reply #194
Please bring back the ability to convert to MP3, I used this program a ton for that

Reply #195
Please display the audio source (filename) when a cue-sheet is loaded.

Reply #196
I have a few feature requests for XLD that all relate to batch processing large amounts of music. I have used MAX to convert our 1.5TB FLAC project to MP3 and now am converting from FLAC to ALAC and am considering using XLD.

The first is to encourage a previous request about adding the ability to select folders and multiple subfolders for conversion with a single click.

The 2nd is an option to move all other non-music files to the new folder that is created. A feature to select the type of files I'd like moved would be best, as I don't want to bring files like shntool.txt or .md5. files to my MP3 folders. However, I'd love to bring all my text files with recording info, my gif and jpg ticket stubs, and any other artwork over automatically. I am dealing with 1,000's of folders so 1 at a time is quite a feat.

I'll give an example of the whole process which will give an example of all my feature requests.

I have a year of concerts that I'd like to convert. The folder is called 1997. In 1997 I have 153 folders, all named to etree standards for live concerts (ph1997-11-21.86507.flac16) and with embedded FLAC tags.

What I'd absolutely love to do is convert an entire year at a time, have the folders be created by XLD reflect the FLAC tags that are properly in place. I'd also like XLD to find all non music files (preferably the ones I specify) and bring them over as well so I don't have to manually drag over files between 1,000's of folders (again!). The tags create a folder that is named different than the one the FLAC is in, batching this process is very hard after the fact.

I cannot seem to find a way to have XLD create a folder during the conversion and renamed according to the embedded tags.

For example, when I rip the tagged FLACs inside the folder: ph1997-11-21.86507.flac16 to MP3 using Max, the result is a folder titled: 1997-11-21 - Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA. Similarly, Track 1 looks like this as a FLAC: ph1997-11-21d1t01.flac and like this after MAX converts it: 01 Emotional Rescue.mp3.

Where MAX doesn't perform is differentiating between two folders like this:
ph1997-11-21.16623.flac16
ph1997-11-21.86507.flac16

When converted using MAX they are piled into a single folder. My music players notice this difference either either. So I manually change the folders when there are duplicates to show the audio source. At least when they are loaded into Cog the tracks are not 01 01, 02 02 which helps.

1997-11-21 - Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA [AKG 460]
and
1997-11-21 - Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA [AUD Microtech Gafelle m210]

I've manually added to the folder names for all shows with more than one audio source. For example, this show has 4 sources and the FLAC folders look like this:

ph1997-11-21.16623.flac16
ph1997-11-21.86507.flac16
ph1997-11-21.87303.flac16
ph1997-11-21.89645.flac16

It would be super swell if 4 folders were created upon conversion in this instance but I imagine that's a longshot when it comes to having a say in what happens in relationship with the tags. I'm not sure how these can be tagged without breaking etree standards.

Otherwise, I am very pleased with XLD, it runs really well on my MacPro and would love to set all 8 of these brains loose and see how well she performs over a long haul like this.

Cheers!

Reply #197
I don't know why (or perhaps if) this hasn't been suggested, but I really, really think XLD should have an "Eject Disc" function.

...and yes... I realise I could just hit the eject key on my keyboard.

Reply #198
I really like how XLD will resize coverart when embedding into each individual file.

I mainly use XLD to convert from FLAC to ALAC.

I would also like to see the following:
  • Better batch encoding support - Currently, If I want to perform a pseudo batch convert, I drag all the files onto XLD. I have XLD set up to to prompt me for tag changes before converting. Unfortunately, this means that I have to set tags manually for EVERY file.

A better option would be a batch window where you could set tags for several files at once by highlighting multiple files and batch editing tags (Similar to Max).

• Support for iTunes method of indicating that an album is Gapless.

• Support for the iTunes Compilation tag (this may not actually be necessary as setting the Album Artist tag to "Various Artists" may accomplish the same thing. Please ignore this suggestion if this is indeed the case).

Reply #199
why don't more apps do the same as musiccutter and split mp3 without reencoding? any app on mac does this?

sorry if this is getting a bit offtpic

Software MP3 Trimmer for Mac OS-X does exactly this [excellent!] job.
Splits MP3 files into desired pieces without re-encoding mpeg, and even much more.

http://www.deepniner.net/mp3trimmer/

Also unregistered version works well, only annoying delay counter is applied.
Undocumented feature is splitting a file according the regular CUE file. Just drop CUE on the app icon, then you'll be prompted for MP3-Audio file. Then proceed. I do not have latest 2.8.8 version, but in previous one did not work well file tagging and naming.