Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Silent audio computer" (Read 35561 times) previous topic - next topic

"Silent audio computer"

Reply #150
From the link in the previous post:
TNN computer is the world's first absolutely noiseless computer since it does not use ANY cooling fans. Not even in the power supply.

I don't understand why they say it is the first, since it is not available yet and there are other fanless models...
including my first laptop from 1995... and as noted in several posts in this thread, there are a couple of
current (ie much faster than my 1995 laptop) fanless models available.

"Silent audio computer"

Reply #151
For playback of mp3 I use a Pentium 100 PC with only a floppy disk, soundcard, and (old, 3c509)network card. It has no fans, no harddisk, and the floppy is only needed for booting. So after booting it is completely!! noiseless.
The OS is party on the floppy, Linux based. It starts by getting additional programs from a http-server (Linux or Windows, doesn't matter).
Then it  gets it music from an http-server, in another room.
It's controlled by web, infrared (lirc) and keyboard( I have none connected). It's possible to have a monitor attached (I have not).
By using a Pentium 100 power consumption is very low, so I took out power supplies fan. It runs now for several months without problem. The player did well during the hottest summer in Europe for 4 centuries!
I did solder some extra capacitors on the soundblaster, for even better sound. All parts are extremely cheap. Only software finding and  putting together took a lot of time, but was fun to do.
So for the folks who want a nice cheap thing: Pentium 100 has enough power, and does NOT need active cooling by fans, not even in the power-supply. But be sure to do some VERY good testing!

"Silent audio computer"

Reply #152
Only software finding and  putting together took a lot of time, but was fun to do.

Could you show me the way? Thanks...

"Silent audio computer"

Reply #153
show me the way?

First thing to do is install linux, on a harddisk (2Gig, HD will be removed later), an old version is preferred, to keep everything needed on just one floppy. Take Slackware 7.1. Then learn Linux. In the meantime I will make a website with instructions.

"Silent audio computer"

Reply #154
From the link in the previous post:
TNN computer is the world's first absolutely noiseless computer since it does not use ANY cooling fans. Not even in the power supply.

I don't understand why they say it is the first, since it is not available yet and there are other fanless models...
including my first laptop from 1995... and as noted in several posts in this thread, there are a couple of
current (ie much faster than my 1995 laptop) fanless models available.

I second that.

My Panasonic T1 is a fanless Pentium 866. It's pretty much the same laptop as featured in Tomb raider II