Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Corrupted MP3's! (Read 4296 times) previous topic - next topic

Corrupted MP3's!

So I had a sudden MP3 Resync problem that occurred 3 weeks ago. I've been researching like crazy and this thread relates to my problem. http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofive...php/t17568.html

Prior to reading that I have used MP3Test to find all my corrupted MP3's. Though what I'd like to know is how this occurred in the first place! So random... and why isn't it recoverable?

Also I'm curious to know if this cause affects any other files. I did find ONE corrupted jpeg that was greyed halfway out and I have a lot of WAV files that happen to be affected too which is very sad. So.... maybe some experienced people can help me figure this out. Thanks.

Corrupted MP3's!

Reply #1
What devices were you trying to sync?

Corrupted MP3's!

Reply #2
not really syncing.... but some of my mp3s had "resyncing errors" which were glitches that made screeching skip noises which in conclusion was a corrupted mp3. It's very odd.

Corrupted MP3's!

Reply #3
Well the cause could be a range of many different things, from corrupted sectors on your hard drive to a virus that's damaging your files.

That's why it's always wise to make backups of any data that is important to you.

Corrupted MP3's!

Reply #4
Yeah either a virus or my RAM because it did act up during that week.. not sure why it would affect the files though. And yeah I did back up certain data.. Didn't think files could become corrupt like that though. Lesson learned. I just feel paranoid when I'm on my computer. Like right now...

Corrupted MP3's!

Reply #5
Someone emailed me (via the mp3decodertest website I assume) saying all their mp3s had become corrupted. They emailed one to me to check. My virus checker (Avast) blocked it. So that would be the first thing I'd check. Then I'd check for faulty hardware.

Cheers,
David.

Corrupted MP3's!

Reply #6
Thanks. I've checked with Avast already and I did every diagnostic test a computer can actually do. I keep my files on an external hard drive. I recently utilized more of them and began making back ups. Corruption of files isn't spreading so I guess that's good, probably because I reinstalled my OS 2 weeks ago... What a weird virus...

Corrupted MP3's!

Reply #7
Ok so let's talk about weirder stuff... like messed up mp3s playing random parts of songs...  I've seen some people complaining about this over the internet and I got some of my own...   

What the hell is going on? 

"Corrupt mp3's problem" post on pcreview

Corrupted MP3's!

Reply #8
Your HDD or RAM is faulty.

Corrupted MP3's!

Reply #9
People tend to forget to check their disks for file system corruptions... and they tend to build up.
Error 404; signature server not available.