Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Re-Rip old 64k & 96k files but still KEEP old MP3 Tags? (Read 1688 times) previous topic - next topic

Re-Rip old 64k & 96k files but still KEEP old MP3 Tags?

A lot of my music was ripped around 20 or so years ago, when 20 gigabyte was considered a big HDD, hence most were encoded at 64k, 96k or 128k bitrate to reduce filesize. (some sound naff)
Seem to have a lot of time on my hands at moment, so thought I'd re-rip to 256k / vbr... for a clearer sound.
The problem is I put a lot of effort into annotating the music by embedding images and comments, including when & where recorded, band members names & instruments played (especially for Jazz), plus a bit of history or bio.
Is there any really easy way in foobar to re-rip a CD or individual track so that the original mp3 file is updated with the new higher bitrate, yet keeps the original tags.
Or re-rip a CD then automatically transfer the tags from the old low bitrate mp3 files to the new ones.
Please, anyone? or I may have to do each file manually  :(

Re: Re-Rip old 64k & 96k files but still KEEP old MP3 Tags?

Reply #1
foobar2000 will do this.  Just tested copying an MP3 to new bitrate and all tags and embedded artwork transferred to the new files.  Install foobar2000 and its "Free Encoder Pack".

P.S. I'd suggest if you are going through the trouble to re-rip that you go lossless or at least MP3-320.

Reply #2
Thanks, all my old mp3s were ripped with a variety of programs but I have used foobar2000 for the last few years.
I have used foobar>properties>details to manually transfer tags on individual tracks.

One of the problems is that I didn't always rip every track on a CD, and the different progs used have created 'odd' filename structures that may not be identified by foobar as a match.

The second problem is that basically I'm a bit of a coward and didn't want to risk my valuable tag information, having said that I do a full backup of my PC every month, so I think I'll have to bite the bullet...  :)

Thanks for confirming that it's possible with foobar2000

Reply #3
so thought I'd re-rip to 256k / vbr... for a clearer sound.
Consider also making a FLAC archive so you never have to re-rip again.   If you want to change to a different format again sometime in the future, it's a lot easier to do a mass/batch conversion than to re-rip. ;)

Just tested copying an MP3 to new bitrate...
Of course, "copying" or transcoding to a different/higher bitrate isn't the same as re-ripping and the quality be worse than the original lower-bitrate file.. 

Just in case foobar2000 can't do what you want, it looks like MP3Tag can do it.

Reply #4
@vicric , I'm sorry, I gave you some bad information above.  I described transcoding, but that's not what you asked at all.  If I were re-ripping my CDs and wanted to copy tags from an old set of files, I'd use Mp3tag as @DVDdoug mentioned above.

Re-rip the CD with no tags just to make it obvious which files are the new ones.  Load them into Mp3tag, then add into Mp3tag the original files.  Be sure the new and old are in the same order (you do this by clicking on column headers in Mp3tag) and remove any new files you don't want.  Then, highlight the old files, select "Tag Copy", highlight the new files, and select "Tag Paste".  It should work fine, but test first.

I don't know of any more automated way to do this.  While the next CD is ripping, you can easily process the one you just ripped.  What I described above shouldn't take more than a minute.

Reply #5
@apesbrain, @DVDdoug
Thanks for help, yes, wondered about original answer re copying / re-ripping and realised difference, but it made me look at problem a bit harder.
I realised I could almost do it in foobar by highlighting an album's tracks in library, right click properties, highlight all tags (top to bottom), right click - choose edit... Bingo there is every track with every tag & it's contents, already to be copied then pasted into new rip.
Unfortunately it would only work for a complete CD as originally laid out, I cannot re-order or delete individual tracks. but nearly there.
Your suggestion of MP3tag was brilliant ! it caused me to remember that I put MP3tag on this computer around 7 years ago for this very problem, I'd even done a practise CD to prove it works but then must have forgotten about it (I do have a memory problem, and seem to constantly lose marbles).

Again, thanks for your help

Reply #6
embarrassed  :-[

Reply #7
I cannot re-order or delete individual tracks.
Maybe you can.

Make a backup of the MP3
If you do have the right track number you might have a look at the rename options.
MP3Tag probably allows you to generate a file name starting with a track number or even better track number only.
Rip a CD, configure to generate a file name consisting of track number only.

Use a free program like FreeFileSync.
Check if you can configure it to sync missing files only (from CD to MP3)
This should yield a list of your MP3's plus missing tracks in the right sequence.
Now copy the tags.
Maybe this works
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #8
Thank you, But what I meant was - I couldn't do it directly in foobar2000, nearly there...
But was able to keep tags when I replace / upgrade tracks, even on incomplete CDs by using MP3tag.
No probs now, all happy.. :))

Reply #9
even on incomplete CDs

Missed that one, looks your are set
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #10
I would suggest you to rip your CDs to Flac so you wouldn't have to rip them ever again.