Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: List of recommended LAME compiles (Read 423340 times) previous topic - next topic

List of recommended LAME compiles

Reply #75
Originally posted by Dibrom
For starters, nspsytune2 isn't practical to use in a "recommended" build because it requires 2 passes and an external program to be used, not to mention that even according to Naoki it's still very early and needs more tuning.

Does this mean that it might (finally!! ) bring along a 2-pass vbr mp3 encoding tool? That would be great!!!

Reply #76
No, it's not a 2-pass VBR.
With nspsytune2, the first pass calculates tonality estimation, while in the second pass, the tonality estimation calculation is applied to the masking spread function. Or something like that, don't take my word for it.

Reply #77
Not 100% sure but I think even bigger reason for nspsy2's 2-pass is the new 4096 point hybrid FIR/FFT filter used by psychoacoustics.
Without nspsy2 Lame's psychoacoustics (both gpsycho and nspsytune) uses the normal 1024 point FFT.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #78
I'd like to suggest that a link to the latest LAME compiles could be maintained in the download section of the site. For those people who don't visit the site daily and aren't familiar with all the technical updates, a one stop link would be a good way for less knowledgable users to stay up to date.

Otherwise, if there are links to recommended compiles of LAME 3.92, could someone please post them.

Thanks,

Andy

Reply #79
It will be done as soon as the new site design is complete. Which should happen quite soon.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #80
"Real soon now," i like that phrase :listening

Reply #82
Does anyone know a lame dll version 3.92 or later which can be used with EAC and the alt preset system. I want to use --alt-preset fast standard

Reply #83
You don't need to have the dll version.
Just use the exe for EAC.

Reply #84
I know, but i find using a DLL is more comfortable, because i can see the status of the encoding in EAC without an extra window.

Reply #85
You can use CDex as ripper, then. It uses the DLL.

www.cdex.n3.net

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #86
I only use EAC and don't want to change....

Perhabs in the future the --alt-presets can be used in EAC?

Altough, thank for your fast answers!

Reply #87
I thought if you use the configuration wizard of EAC to set up lame.exe, it automatically uses --alt-preset standard already?

Reply #88
the alt presets CAN be used in EAC!!!
in the compression settings dialog you just choose "LAME mp3 encoder" and write "--alt-preset standard" or something else in the additinal commandline field.
remember to give it the path to the lame.exe.

Reply #89
I know that and I am doing it that way already.
But a DLL is more comfortable because it is more integrated in the program.
And with a DLL i don't have to change "delete .wav after compression" when i want to compress directly from CD instead of compressing a file on my hard disc.

Reply #90
I was answering Shiki

Reply #91
oh sorry 

Can you ever forgive me?

Reply #92
Perhaps.

Reply #93
The currently recommended DLL binary is:

http://static.hydrogenaudio.org/extra/LAME...ied_dll-ICL.zip

Note:  The .dll recommended here makes use of john33's modifications (thanks!) which map certain quality settings to the --alt-presets.  Please READ the included explanation of these mappings before using this .dll

Is there a new link for this DLL? The link here doesn't seem valid anymore. Thanks.

Reply #94
Is there a new dll with the --alt-presets ??

Reply #95
Is there a new link for this DLL? The link here doesn't seem valid anymore. Thanks.

Now it works again. Thanks.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #96
in the compression settings dialog you just choose "LAME mp3 encoder" and write "--alt-preset standard" or something else in the additinal commandline field.

The problem with EAC is that it always wants to put in a bitrate parameter, which is surely going to mess with the preset? There's no easy way to put in your own custom command line like you can in RazorLame 

I wanted to use "--alt-preset 150 --lowpass 17.5" - so I wrote a little wrapper app in VB which strips out the extra parameters EAC adds and gives a clean command line. In the old version of EAC it was easy to do this using a command file, but this method no longer works in the latest version 

Reply #97
The problem with EAC is that it always wants to put in a bitrate parameter, which is surely going to mess with the preset? There's no easy way to put in your own custom command line like you can in RazorLame 

No problem at all. Just choose user-defined encoder. Then no additional stuff will be added (but also not the source and destination filename)

So you can use aps in this way:

--alt-preset standard %s %d

Done.

Reply #98

Now it works again. Thanks.

Thanks for fixing the link John! 

Reply #99
I have a version of lame 3.92 from the following site:
http://www.hot.ee/smpman/mp3,
and I downloaded lame 3.90.2 from the link posted and I noticed something different.

LAME 3.90.2
File:  Cymbals.wav (general cymbal test)
Switches: --alt-preset standard
Avg. Bitrate: 219.3Kbps    LR: 871 (75.74%)    MS:  279 (24.26%)

LAME 3.92 (http://www.hot.ee/smpman/mp3)
File:  Cymbals.wav (general cymbal test)
switches:  --alt-preset standard
Avg. Bitrate: 224.4Kbps    LR: 896 (77.91%)    MS:  254 (22.09%)

Would you still recommend using the official LAME 3.90.2? I'm not sure why the bitrate of the two files are different, and why the LR and MS frames are different.
Could somebody explain the cause of this?
-Andrew-