Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: audio editor recommendations (I'm still using EAC's sound processing) (Read 335 times) previous topic - next topic

audio editor recommendations (I'm still using EAC's sound processing)

I got started using the built-in sound processing from Exact Audio Copy, in the fairly early days of HA. I still use it and am comfortable with it, although I'm older and have a family so I don't do much anymore.

EAC's sound processor is limited to normal CD-rip (44.1 16-bit stereo wav) files, and I'm increasingly getting lossless files with higher samplerate or bitdepth (e.g., buying remastered albums through Bancamp).

I've thought for over a decade that I should switch audio editors, but haven't put time into figuring out something that can handle a wider range of files.

Things I like about EAC's sound processing:
* basic wavform display, can zoom in horizontally (time interval) and vertically (wavform height)
* can click on individual samples to see/edit the exact value
* interval bars for CD audio frames (588 samples, 75 per second at 44.1khz)
* options such as "select peak range" and "scale selection"
* doesn't change any sample values unless I tell it to (which I expect to be standard behavior for handling any lossless file)

Audacity is the audio editor I'm most aware of, and I know it handles a wider range of file specifications and types. Will it (or some other app) do the things I'm looking for that EAC's editor does?
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

Re: audio editor recommendations (I'm still using EAC's sound processing)

Reply #1
Here are a couple screenshots of EAC's built-in sound processing function, at varying degrees of zoom-in:

Re: audio editor recommendations (I'm still using EAC's sound processing)

Reply #2
Okay - took the time to read up on Audacity handling lossless without changing anything (except where I ask it to, of course), and it basically comes down to "turn off dither". Audacity loads each sample in as floating-point 32-bit, but when saving/exporting that will go back to the same 16-bit or 24-bit value (as long as export settings are lined up with the bitdepth of the original file).

I'm sure I'll get used to the interface after a bit. Should have probably done this a decade ago.