Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best balance between speakers and output (Read 3450 times) previous topic - next topic

Best balance between speakers and output

I realize this has probably been asked before, but I am not sure what to search for. I just got new speakers and was wandering, is it better to turn the output on my computer all the way up and then adjust the volume using the speakers, or is it better to do the opposite (or somewhere inbetween). I assume amplifying a lower volume signal would cause degradation of the sound, so the former is better, but just wanted to check first.

Reply #1
I realize this has probably been asked before, but I am not sure what to search for. I just got new speakers and was wandering, is it better to turn the output on my computer all the way up and then adjust the volume using the speakers, or is it better to do the opposite (or somewhere inbetween). I assume amplifying a lower volume signal would cause degradation of the sound, so the former is better, but just wanted to check first.

If you are willing to pay for the answer, I believe Macworld just featured this exact article while rating computer speakers. I unfortunately can't say I know the answer precisely, for I simly glanced over the article, So I'm affraid I can't offer much more help than that. If I happen to purchase the magazine myself, I'll let you know what the article said.

Reply #2
I most cases the best way to go is to pull all volume sliders in the computer all the way up and adjust with volume knob on your amplifier (which is built-in in your speakers). YMMV, though.
Ceterum censeo, there should be an "%is_stop_after_current%".

Reply #3
Also depends if you're connecting digitally or through analog. I think if it's SPDIF or HDMI it's pretty safe to just turn it up all the way.

Reply #4
I've always gone with 100% on the soundcard output, then volume control from the speakers. I have encountered poor quality soundcard outputs where 100% caused audible static/distortion, but dropping the output back to ~95% sounded fine.

Reply #5
I just used the standard volume setting of Windows 7 and never ever changed it.

Apart from that the ideal way is that the line in is of a defined maximum power (+4 dBu for studio and -10dBv for home equipment). Changing the volume at the speaker output of your soundcard normally shouldn't surpass these. Also what the soundcard actually does when the mixer tells it to go to 100% is another question.

And then most importantly the actual speaker volume should always be adjusted using the amplifier that is driving the speakers.

Why exactly that is and not the other way round, I don't know for sure, but can only guess: noise, clipping and distortion.