Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Jplay - just another scam? YES IT IS! (Read 303883 times) previous topic - next topic

Jplay - just another scam? YES IT IS!

Reply #375
It could do both, use a built in ramdisk to buffer raw read input AND buffer the decoded stream to the normal output path (ASIO) like any other ASIO capable player does.

Sorry for my misleading formulation. I am talking about READING samples via ASIO where jplay acts as a "virtual" ASIO driver.

Reply #376
http://www.audiostream.com/content/jplay-r...nds-open-letter

Well, this thread certainly seems to have done some good raising awareness, even if the dyed-in-the-wool audiophiles will still lap up absolutely anything they are told about the insides of these mystical things we call computers.

Reply #378
Shooting fish in a barrel, etc.

The same guy:
Be good to understand why I am hearing such a big difference in sound
I love* how it never even crosses their minds as a possibility that they might not actually be hearing these fanciful effects. Nope, they’re infallible, and their perceptions are sacrosanct. So they must find ways to justify them, however hard said explanations fly in the face of physics and, let’s be honest, common sense.

*word used extremely sarcastically

Reply #380
What??  Will there be audiophile routers next?

Just imagine any ol' random thing.

SSD sounds better than HD.

ramdisk in DDR5 sounds better than DDR3

More ram allows for better expression of lower frequencies.

Uranium drivers.

Reply #381
SSD sounds better than HD.

Didn't someone do some 'tests' and claimed that it also depended where on the HDD the files were as to how good it sounded? Or something equally bizarre.

Reply #382
I think a big issue here is that people don't realize that audio cables oriented to magnetic north and south sound better than east and west, which is probably a major cause of failures when blind testing decent audiophile gear.

Reply #383
Yeah, so 2013 won't be a good year to test your cables, people! The solar cycle is getting unpredictable. I mean, magnetshowdotheywork, am I right?

Reply #384
I wonder if MythBusters could do an episode on audiophile tweaks. They could easily do an entire two-part special.

Reply #386
I wonder if MythBusters could do an episode on audiophile tweaks. They could easily do an entire two-part special.

I saw a talk not too long ago where Adam said he wanted to do exactly that.  He claimed the producers don't think they could make an interesting show out of the topic so they can't do it.

Reply #387
I saw a talk not too long ago where Adam said he wanted to do exactly that.  He claimed the producers don't think they could make an interesting show out of the topic so they can't do it.

To bad! They could have nice explosions with audiophile 2-way speakers that can indeed take advantage of more then 16bit exactly in the moment they bust in 1000 pieces
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #388
Pff, so they can, as I found out while quickly checking the terminology in my previous post here, literally shoot fish in a barrel to check that myth, but they can’t address the blatant myths of a pervasive subculture full of some of the worst mumbo-jumbo and most uninformed people on Earth?

Nice to have further confirmation that the world is done for if it continues to focus only on whatever sentationalist nonsenses the masses want. Flagrant disregard of the most basic animal welfare in order to hawk advertising minutes to braying consumers, for instance. Rubbish like this is what the media want people to want. Said media are birds of a feather with those selling crap like ‘audiophile’ gear, after all. It’s a tangled web.

Reply #389
CAT5 is nowhere neat, CAT6 a little laid back. CAT7 rules.

What??  Will there be audiophile routers next?

Well, there might be another CAT or two, and then it could escalate ... possibly up to the level where some audio forum on the net will flow over with cat avatars.

Reply #390
JPLAY uses special ultra low-latency RAM to store music samples and massively pre-queues them so the sound driver can access them faster

What the hell.
"Ultra low-latency".....heh

Reply #392
Maybe it comes with an incantation to make your existing RAM faster.

Reply #394
The only faster mem available would be the CPU cache and as far as I know programs (not even the OS) can directly write into this. Caching is handled by the CPU itself.

Reply #395
The only faster mem available would be the CPU cache and as far as I know programs (not even the OS) can directly write into this. Caching is handled by the CPU itself.

Did you mean "can't directly write", right?

Well, maybe knowing the CPU caching strategy a skilled programmer could try some tricks to keep as much code as possible into cache, but this would be no deterministic, expecially under a preemptive multitasking OS (*) and all the more the program itself should be written in assembly, or at least the programmer should know his compiler's code generation strategies and optimizations, making everything compiler vendor, version and even switches dependent. Of course all this would be targeted to a very specific CPU core.
Definitely not feasible.

(*) yes, I know, JPlay claims to turn off as much system services and background processes: nope! The only strategy that could make sense it this respect wold be a pure MS-DOS version, booting the PC from a diskette!
... I live by long distance.

Reply #396
Eh yes, meant can't -- of course.
Like you said, you'd need to interact on machine code (assembly) level... not on (windows) API/driver level.

Reply #397
If I am not mistaken, and excuse me for not going to the official JPLAY compound to check, I believe there is indeed a version that tries to monopolise the cache for itself and links this to quality using the usual utter nonsense.

The mention of low-latency RAM is presumably just a disengenuous reference to normal RAM and how modern examples have low latency simply by virtue of the ever-present shift towards faster speeds. Never mind that playing from RAM is neither necessary nor sufficient for a competent audio player to reproduce a signal without butchering it, something that is easy in many other ways but not this one. Besides that, the speed of that RAM will make precisely no difference as long as the programmer is not an idiot and has proper strategies for buffering and so forth. Those do not require advanced techniques and certainly do not justify a payment of 99 EUR, just like everything else JPLAY does/claims to do.

Reply #398
A modern processor can transfer around 25GB/second - a lossless audio stream is what 176KB / sec, so the processer + memory are 142,000x faster than need to be....that is not enough?

Reply #399
It is, plenty fast. We already came to the conclusion jPlay is a scam. Just picking apart the bogus claims of how this black box supposedly operates. Even if it could do what they say it does, it probably wouldn't matter.

Seems like an example of throwing in enough random technical terms so that half tech-savvy people recognize these and believe it's plausible that it works but is far too complex for them to comprehend. The programmer is a pro after all... pro at deceit that is.

The fact it hogs so much system resources (which shouldn't be needed for something trivial as audio is for modern systems these days) reminds me of bogus programs that have a fake progress bar. Normally these programs would take only a few seconds to perform the simple operation they performed. To mask the fact what they do is trivial, they add a progress bar that would load in half a minute to give the user the impression the program was actually doing a lot. Mostly seen in a variety of system performance boosting apps and reg cleaners which use readily available windows functions and often don't work (reg cleaning is useless for instance).