Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need admin help regarding TOS #9 (Read 3033 times) previous topic - next topic

Need admin help regarding TOS #9

I have noticecs one of my topisc was moved to the bin, because it biolates TOS #9.
I believe it's not true.

I was wriring about copying a copy ptotected CD.
Copying CDs for own use, such as backup, CD-R playable copy to protect original from use wear, or making digital files for personal use is not a violation of copyright, thus TOS #9 does not apply there.

Final clarification from an admin please?

Reply #1
That's a myth, one which is very popular because it is something many of us want to believe and because no one has been sued for it yet. The reality, though is that US copyright law does not make such exceptions. The UK very recently introduced exceptions along these lines, but they're already being challenged.

(Technology is way ahead of copyright law, still, and it calls into question the philosophy behind law in general... if technology is enabling the public to widely disregard the law, and the public generally believes there is nothing morally wrong with what they are doing, and no one is getting dragged into court over it, then what responsibility does a site like this really have? On the other hand, whether to risk being sued, even if it's very unlikely, is entirely up to the site's administrators. Enforcing a zero-tolerance policy for certain topics is their prerogative.)

Reply #2
I have noticecs one of my topisc was moved to the bin, because it biolates TOS #9.
I believe it's not true.

I was wriring about copying a copy ptotected CD.
Copying CDs for own use, such as backup, CD-R playable copy to protect original from use wear, or making digital files for personal use is not a violation of copyright, thus TOS #9 does not apply there.

Final clarification from an admin please?

TOS #9 is very clear that these things are not permissible regardless of local law or your personal intentions.

Talk about encryption circumvention is forbidden, full-stop.

@mjb:
There are other courses of action that can be taken against this site besides being sued. People might want to consider whether one of them hasn't already happened just because some member merely dropped the name of a program.

Reply #3
It all depends on where the site is hosted, some countries do actually allow making a copy of copyrighted material for private use, for example Germany. The copyright owners get a compensation by the means of charging an additional amount for e.g. DVD burners and recordable media (printers, scanners etc as well). However, just because it's allowed in say, Germany, doesn't mean it's allowed in the US, and if the site is hosted in the US, it will get in trouble for that.

Reply #4
It all depends on where the site is hosted, some countries do actually allow making a copy of copyrighted material for private use, for example Germany.

"It"?

As I said already, there are other courses of action that can be taken against this site besides legal ones.

Until administration has instructed otherwise, TOS #9 will be enforced as it has been, regardless of where the site is hosted or where any specific members reside.

EDIT: I have closed the discussion for the time being.  A member of the staff may re-open it in order to address the topic at a later date.