Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TAK 2.2.0 development (Read 35876 times) previous topic - next topic

TAK 2.2.0 development

Reply #50
read the thread? 

Then i will perform a lot of testing and finally prepare an alpha release of TAK 2.2. I can't tell you, how long this will take. Maybe 2 weeks.

Indeed.

I just started the first test runs. Even without the new multi channel audio tests the whole validation process already took more than a day. The tests are running on my primary PC (it's my fastest one). Since i also need it for other purposes, i often have to interrupt the tests. There is also a chance that i find bugs in the new code.

Therefore i still can't tell you an exact release date.

TAK 2.2.0 development

Reply #51
- Mpeg4Als -7 is doing the above. Furthermore it uses higher bit resolution multiplications for the filters. This may bring an advantage of about 0.3 to 0.4 percent, but at the cost of also much slower processing. I wouldn't want to sacrifice most of TAK's speed advantages for this little. Ok, i am sure i could write an ALS-encoder which is a lot faster than the reference implementation, but still significantly slower than TAK.

Out of curiosity, increased complexity of both encoding and decoding or only encoding?

TAK 2.2.0 development

Reply #52
- Mpeg4Als -7 is doing the above. Furthermore it uses higher bit resolution multiplications for the filters. This may bring an advantage of about 0.3 to 0.4 percent, but at the cost of also much slower processing. I wouldn't want to sacrifice most of TAK's speed advantages for this little. Ok, i am sure i could write an ALS-encoder which is a lot faster than the reference implementation, but still significantly slower than TAK.

Out of curiosity, increased complexity of both encoding and decoding or only encoding?

Decoding too. If it was only for encoding, i would be far less hesistant.

TAK 2.2.0 development

Reply #53
I just started the first test runs. Even without the new multi channel audio tests the whole validation process already took more than a day. The tests are running on my primary PC (it's my fastest one). Since i also need it for other purposes, i often have to interrupt the tests. There is also a chance that i find bugs in the new code.

No bugs found, but the tests indeed lasted until now. One of the tests took more than 24 hours! I just upgraded my RAM from 2 to 4 GB to have more space for file caching. This was definitely a bottleneck for the multi channel audio tests. Especially because my totally silent desktop PC has only a single 2.5 harddisk.

Ok, enough whining. I will now prepare an alpha release.