Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: UPSE PSF Decoder (Read 9788 times) previous topic - next topic

UPSE PSF Decoder

I have produced a PSF decoder component based on William Pitcock's Unix PlayStation Sound Emulator library. It currently supports only PSF/MINIPSF files, but will eventually support PSF2/MINIPSF2 files, and will thus stand to replace foo_psf. Did I mention it's also Open Source, under the GNU General Public License, as if anyone cares about that?

Feel free to post about any rips which don't work, or somehow even manage to crash the player, to help improve this library.

The component can be downloaded here, or my site. The source code to the component and the UPSE DLL module are also available at my site.

Change log:
  • 2011-01-03 - Version 1.3:
    • Optimized the ADSR envelope calculation code for a 16% speedup in some cases.
    • Fixed a crash bug loading PSF1 files where the compressed PSX EXE header specifies a length larger than the actual compressed data. This fixes at least Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, some tracks from Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete, and Tales of Eternia. Other rips unknown.
    • Fixed files without length tags from playing forever when they weren't supposed to.
  • 2010-11-20 - Version 1.2:
    • Updated UPSE to latest version again. Now that it's fully reentrant, a separate DLL file with copy and load hacks are no longer required for multiple decoder instances.
  • 2010-11-04 - Version 1.1:
    • Updated UPSE to latest version, should fix some volume issues.
    • Removed frequency response filter as it's now integrated into UPSE.

UPSE PSF Decoder

Reply #1
Is it more accurate than Highly Experimental?

UPSE PSF Decoder

Reply #2
It may be in some respects. Also, its delay slot emulation seems to be more correct, as it will cause a bad rip or two to lock up.

Of course, until it has PSF2 support, and support for the numerous rips that won't play, either through fixes to the player or to the rips, I can't recommend it over Highly Experimental for anything other than testing.

Edit: Now that proper reentrancy is in, work can move on to increasing compatibility and extra features, like PSF2 support.

UPSE PSF Decoder

Reply #3
Hey, I don't know if you've become aware of this by now, but I was comparing the two PSF plugins and this one sounds great, much crisper and clearer reverb, but on Vagrant Story you'll sometimes get some very audible clicking sounds. I only picked some random songs to try, but the first part of "Climax of the Greylands Incident" gets them starting at around 30 seconds in and "Wyvern" from the beginning. It's consistent, happens whether using regular playback or when converting to another format, and doesn't occur with the other plugin.

Thanks for your work, I'm looking forward to seeing this plugin develop!

UPSE PSF Decoder

Reply #4
My complete overhaul of the ADSR envelope generation code does not seem to have any effect on the annoying popping sounds in various tracks from Vagrant Story, but it does bring a nice speed up. Oh, and some of the rips which used to crash the player outright should no longer do so.

UPSE PSF Decoder

Reply #6
Use foo_psf instead.

UPSE PSF Decoder

Reply #7
downloaded v1.5 on zophar, the audio quality sounds great and is much clearer than foo_psf or any soundtrack CD

unfortunately some games won't play (nekketsu oyako), will write forever when outputting as a wav (blaster master) or will crash foobar randomly when trying to convert (xenogears, but not always)

tried a later version but the audio quality was muffled... read that peops was dropped

still working on this or know if another person has made a plugin with similar sound quality?

UPSE PSF Decoder

Reply #8
Nope, nobody else is working on a thing. And I dropped PEOpS because it's inaccurate and slower. I also dropped this component altogether because it lacks features and has the compatibility and crashing issues you reported.

I could probably be bothered to add inaccurate resampling algorithms to this player, just to give you that "sharper" "clarity" you're used to hearing from other emulators. To foo_psf. I won't be reviving this component for that.