Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Which name do you consider correct?

Beatles
[ 5 ] (10.4%)
The Beatles
[ 43 ] (89.6%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Topic: Beatles or The Beatles (Read 9549 times) previous topic - next topic

Beatles or The Beatles

So, the greatest band ever (IMHO), but I can't decide how to name my files, for me 'The Beatles' is too long, but 'Beatles' seems like is lacking something.

What do you think/prefer when refering to the Beatles?
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #1
Where's the "they simply misspelled Beetles" option? :B

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #2
What's wrong with The Beatles with an 'a'?

I heard a man on a flaming pie came to someone in a dream... 

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #3
Beatles, The

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #4
On every single one of their albums, its written "The Beatles", just do what Jan S. said and use "Beatles, The" to keep alpha order.

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #5
As your poll asks, I consider "The Beatles" to be correct. I would, however, name my files using "Beatles" and use "The Beatles" for tags, etc. or any other instance where sorting is not an issue (it looks better imo). "Beatles, The" looks a bit awkward, but would still be technically correct if ´correctness´ is what you´re aiming for, as well as alphabetical sorting. I personally always remove the leading "The" of bands in filenames though.
f to c to f to c

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #6
I personally always remove the leading "The" of bands in filenames though.

So if you have an album by the band "The The", you file it under "The"?      (j/k)

I voted for "The Beatles", of course.  As for doing "Beatles, The" when sorting music, I decided to just stay loyal to the original name of every band when I began encoding way back when, even if it begins with "The".  It just means my "T" directory has a lot more bands in it, and I have a few more than normal under "A" for the same reason.  I'm used to it, and I've memorized which bands start with "The" or "A" and which don't.  Maybe if I had over 1000 albums to sort I'd do it differently, but my mediocre collection of 400 is pretty easy to manage.

As for a more critical place to find "The Beatles" and other "The..." bands quickly and easily, my car, there are Linux shell scripts for my car's HDD music player that can automatically parse out "The" and "A" and organize "The Beatles" under "B" if I want to do it that way, while keeping the directory and tag name as "The Beatles".

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #7
The problem is that they spelt it both ways.

Beatles
The Beatles

Why aren't we allowed to use images with the .jpg extension in the IMG tags?
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #8
when sorting music, I decided to just stay loyal to the original name of every band when I began encoding way back when, even if it begins with "The".

Same here. It would seem strange to me to file "The Band" under "Band", or "The Guess Who" under "Guess Who", or "The Who" under "Who".

Besides, allmusic lists The Beatles as The Beatles, and if you can't believe them, who can you? 

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #9
The problem is that they spelt it both ways.

Beatles

The reference to "Beatles" on the cover of Sgt. Pepper's was more incidental, I believe, since...

-1-  They were "pretending" the album was by the ficticious band rather than "The Beatles" anyway, so I wouldn't put much precidence on what's "written in the flowers", and...

-2-  Every typed reference in the liner notes refers to "The Beatles", always preceded by "The".

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #10
Speaking of The Beatles, EMI has done it again. They released "Let It Be Naked" today.

This is fine for the know nothing casual  The Beatles fan. For the rest of us, why the hell did they not release the "Get Back" album as compiled by Glyn Johns? The hardcore fans have been waiting 33 years for a clean official release of the "Get Back" album, and we get a watered down, track rearranged bastartdized "Get Back " album. Don't toss out your ****leg copies quite yet.!
you will make mp3's for compatibility reasons.

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #11
EMI has done it again.

Stupid bloody EMI and its f*cking Copy Protected discs.

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #12
For the rest of us, why the hell did they not release the "Get Back" album as compiled by Glyn Johns?

Probably because most of us "hardcore" fans already have that album in numerous bootleg incarnations (I already own every extant mix of the album, and plan to get Let It Be - Naked as well). If they had simply released one of the familiar mixes with nothing new, I would still have bought it... but it might not have been as high on my albums-to-buy list.

When this new album was being compiled, consideration was also given to the mixes which were previously released in Anthology 3. Naked offers different mixes altogether, and between this and the Anthology completes the rooftop concert - something which had never previously been available on any legitimately released CDs. (Sure, the songs are out-of-order and you need to sequence them yourself if you want to hear the full thing, but that's quibbling.)

- M.

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #13
it's THE BEATLES
for sure

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #14
I personally always remove the leading "The" of bands in filenames though.

So if you have an album by the band "The The", you file it under "The"?      (j/k)

Yes!

It's obviously "The Beatles",  but it's a lot easier just to drop all the "The"s on file/folder names. Or else have two fields - an "alphabetically sorted" artist, and a "display" artist. Or whatever!

I haven't been into many record shops where The Beatles are filed under "T". (I've been into one, I think it was the same one that filed everything by first name, e.g. Celine Dion under C, so they're just weird!)

Cheers,
David.

P.S. I think the old CDDB (?) method of just having a tick box for "The" made sense.

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #15
It's obviously "The Beatles",  but it's a lot easier just to drop all the "The"s on file/folder names. Or else have two fields - an "alphabetically sorted" artist, and a "display" artist. Or whatever!

I haven't been into many record shops where The Beatles are filed under "T". (I've been into one, I think it was the same one that filed everything by first name, e.g. Celine Dion under C, so they're just weird!)

Count me into the "weird" crowd!   

I'd file Celine Dion under "C" (if I had any).

My girlfriend used to complain all the time:  "Where the h*ll are your Liz Phair albums?  Under "L"?!?  Why?!?  And 'The Beatles' don't go under "T", sweetie."

Hey, it's my own system.  B)  I'm not a record store...so my filing system is "personalized"...a.k.a. "The only truly logical name-sorting system".  If your band name starts with "A", it goes under the "A"s.  If you're "The Beatles", you go under "T".  If that's not proper, the only way to change is to change their name to "Beatles".

(Sounds like I'm frustrated but I'm not.    I get this abuse...erm...uhh..."advice", all the time.  I'll stick with my system...it works...it's easy...400 CDs, 150 of them under "T", so what?)

P.S...Oh, and it prevents me from having to know whether a band name is a person's name or not.  Pink Floyd?  Everyone says it goes under "P"...easy.  Jethro Tull?  Do you know how long I thought that was a person's name?    So see, with my system Jethro Tull goes under "J" in either case, regardless of what I know or don't know about the band name.

So what would most people file "Fatboy Slim" under?  It's a pseudonym...a name, but not a *real* name.  Under "F" or "S"?  Personally, I put it under "N". 

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #16
OK - you've won me over to the weird side!

(Well, at least for a while, and only in theory!)

Cheers,
David.

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #17
Beatles, The

The first thought that popped ino my mind as well
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #18
@ScorLibran

Fatboy Slim under 'N'? For Norman Cook? This doesn't look right to me. I'd arrange artists by whatever the band name is, not by their real name. And Fatboy Slim has been called "a one-man band" on one of his tracks
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #19
@ScorLibran

Fatboy Slim under 'N'? For Norman Cook? This doesn't look right to me. I'd arrange artists by whatever the band name is, not by their real name. And Fatboy Slim has been called "a one-man band" on one of his tracks

You're right...I was just kidding about filing him under "N"...he's actually under "F".  (...the "one-man-band" reference coming from the end of Right Here, Right Now, leading into Rockafeller Skank, of course.)

[slightly OT]
Hmmm...I thought of something my g/f would have loved...filing music not by first or last name, or first character, but by something meaningful but different than the band's name.  Hole goes under "R" for "riot grrrl", Liz Phair goes under "S" for "supergoddess", The Doors under "L" for "lizard king", ...and The Beatles belong under "K" for "kookookatchoo".
[/slightly OT]

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #20
I was for a long time in Jan S's camp, trying to get the files sorted alphabetiacally after the family name or main part of group name. But I discovered two drawbacks with it which made me switch to ScorLibran's camp.

1) When refering to artists you rarely use only their family name, but often only first name. This makes the first system slower when you look for some artist as you would have to think for a while to remember what their family name was.

2) It takes time to rename and retag the files especially for those various artists compilations. You usually want the tag to have the name in correct order but filename with a comma and no tagger software i'm aware of can do this yet.

So it's perfectly natural way of tagging. Nothing weird with us at all ScorLibran! To be fair I haven't seen more than one record shop which used this system, and that one was in a country where the family name is normally written in front of the given name.

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #21
My girlfriend used to complain all the time:  "Where the h*ll are your Liz Phair albums?  Under "L"?!?  Why?!?  And 'The Beatles' don't go under "T", sweetie."

what a girlfriend... teach her the win+f art 

btw, last month I went to a record shop looking for "Anne Clark" and I knew they had it because it was listed on their website. At the end, I left that shop quite angry because they didn't have it... under the "A" folder!!  (if that was a folder  )

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #22
Bad puns in band names, yet another reason to hate The Beatles*.

Speaking of misfiled CDs...  I've seen Jethro Tull placed under both T and J.

* To be fair, there is one (exactly one) Beatles song that I like, but mostly only for nostalgia reasons.
I am *expanding!*  It is so much *squishy* to *smell* you!  *Campers* are the best!  I have *anticipation* and then what?  Better parties in *the middle* for sure.
http://www.phong.org/

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #23
Bad puns in band names, yet another reason to hate The Beatles*.

Pfft. While I agree that Ringo is the least talented Beatle, this person apparently never heard Pete Best, and I get the strong impression that ideological differences (links to the CATO institute, Heritage Foundation) make for the majority of this individuals hatred of The Beatles.

Certainly appears never to have heard Wings, which put out more than one good album.  Ted Nugent, who seems much more in-line with this persons ideological leanings, never put out a solid album.

Beatles or The Beatles

Reply #24
The Beatles is correct when written or spoken.

Beatles is correct in filing systems.