Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_dsp_xfeed (Read 73691 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_dsp_xfeed

Reply #51
I find the effects to sound quite realistic (especially the live venue) but too strong for use as a replacement crossfeed for regular headphone listening. I think I'll stick with Head-fit-lite for now.

foo_dsp_xfeed

Reply #52
I find the effects to sound quite realistic (especially the live venue) but too strong for use as a replacement crossfeed for regular headphone listening. I think I'll stick with Head-fit-lite for now.

Head-fi lite doesn't work properly for me with foobar and vst adapter (problem of displayed interface).
Regarding "strength", you can decrease it for any crossfeed, and in this case you use ILD low and ILD high (you move sliders to left).

foo_dsp_xfeed

Reply #53
This* is not a crossfeed however, it is a room virtualizer (more like dolby headphone). It does not offer ILD and ITD controls. Head-fit-lite works, albeit a bit buggy. You have to enable and then disable the EQ setup button to get rid of the EQ ui buttons that otherwise lay on top of the crossfeed buttons (only works while playing music).

*; I was replying directly to markanini who linked to the Beyerdynamic virtual studio.

foo_dsp_xfeed

Reply #54
You have to enable and then disable the EQ setup button to get rid of the EQ ui buttons that otherwise lay on top of the crossfeed buttons (only works while playing music).

Oh great , just managed to make it work.

*; I was replying directly to markanini who linked to the Beyerdynamic virtual studio.

Sorry if I misread you, using quote prevent such confusion.

Just tried that Beyer Virtual Studio. I like that you can run it without much fuss.
I find it reduce fidelity , but fatigue too.
I just can stand recently the wide stereo separation of my hd800 (unless it's that mid bass hitting too hard too).

foo_dsp_xfeed

Reply #55
Xnor you're awesome!

This plugin is brilliant! Thank you!

foo_dsp_xfeed

Reply #56
I wanted to post a comment much sooner, but was finally pushed to do so by today's short conversation in bs2b component thread with reference to new crossfeed component by Case, which I didn't know about, but have tried it already.
As just a user, i don't know the rules or requirements needed to list a component on main fb2k site, if it is on creator's decision or not. Current status with crossfeed plugins is rather mess, all of them have basically the same purpose, but are listed under different tags or are located just somewhere in the HA forum. I mean the user "darkflame" is proof of that, if he didn't know about your component (update: he tried it ). I apologize if it isn't this case, but anyway I didn't know about Case's crossfeed component. It'd be good to list them all under same tag, "headphones" or "crossfeed" or another.

It is big shame the components are scattered there and there and that your component isn't listed on fb2k site, as it is, because of its design, on completely different level, imho. Don't get me wrong everybody, i highly appreciate every effort and this isn't criticism of other crossfeed components available, it is just my personal comparison between them.

We had a conversation at the beginning of this thread, so i don't want to repeat myself. The reason of this post is a request related to the only thing i miss in your component, some kind of room designer, such as we know from TB Isone and which would certainly push the feeling even much further. I think the current base of this component is so good (very similar to TB Isone), that it directly calls after such refinement. I use it more that 2,5 years and can't imagine to listen without it. Overall feeling can be very slightly improved with sensitively adjusted mudlord's freeverb component, but it isn't the right solution. I agree with you, that HRTF designer from TB Isone isn't critical part to achieve the right listening feeling and can be understood as optional extension on top of crossfeed and room designer. Reverb time can be supplied by existing plugins, but only room designer (speaker distance, room size, early reflections, diffusion, reverb time) would move listener from anechoic chamber to real-like environment.

I don't know your further plans (if any) with this component, but kind of room designer would be perfect addition to it.

foo_dsp_xfeed

Reply #57
I'm going to give this a try today, and am trying to work out the best settings for my head size. My maths skills are appalling... 

My head diameter is .15 or .16 meters (as close as my wife could measure it, it's a difficult measurement to do!), and I am used to having my speakers at 60 degrees in my studio. Can you give me the best measurements to use with the FB2K component? I get confused trying to work out the degrees, as your previous example is 30 degrees and not 60. Can I just halve 0.524 to arrive at 0.262?

Headphones are Sennhesier HD600s fed by a Crookwood DAC and headphone amp.

foo_dsp_xfeed

Reply #58
d = 0.15/(2*343) * (1.0472 + sin(1.0472)) = 418us
with 0.16 => 446us

But are your speakers really located at +/- 60°, spanning an angle of 120°?

Also remember that this is only a ballpark figure.
"I hear it when I see it."

foo_dsp_xfeed

Reply #59
Thank you, I will certainly give those settings a try!

I think the standard set up for near field studio monitors is with a 60 degree angle (an equilateral triangle with a narrow sweet spot). I believe in home theatre they prefer to use 30 degrees for a wider sweet spot? So yeah, basically the monitors are at 60 degrees with me in the middle. Does that make sense? Like this:

foo_dsp_xfeed

Reply #60
Yes that is +/- 30° or spanning 60° between the speakers. So 224us with 0.15m.
"I hear it when I see it."

foo_dsp_xfeed

Reply #62
Amazing DSP. If i listen music without your plugin i have a headeche.

foo_dsp_xfeed

Reply #63
My head's diameter is 0.19m.

Now i use
ILD low -4.5 dB
ILD high -12 dB
ITD 284 us

Is it best settings for my 0.19m head's diameter?

Re: foo_dsp_xfeed

Reply #64
Ok, I think I got lost when I have read about head diameter, I will not open this door now.
But I would like to know the difference between 0.1.3 and 0.1.2
I saw the changelog but, I wonder why you keep offering both versions.
Are there situations where the 0.1.3 is not desirable?
Thanks

Reply #65
Hmmm, ok, I got it, the formula. Although I think that more than the diameter of the head it should be the distance from ear to ear, what do you think?

About the two files, 0.1.2 and 0.1.3, besides understanding the differences, how do I know which of the two on the download thread is which? they both have the same name and I have downloaded both but in the properties there is no info about the version of the dll.

Reply #66
Nobody here anymore?

Anyway, I have tried both files and found the right one.
I just wanted to say, apart that I know now the formula by memory (cool), I have had better results using the inner diameter of the head, the one of the circle which supposedly passes through the hammers of the ears. So, 12cm instead of 15, approximately. The resulting sound is more "in my head", like when one finds that magic spot of the triangle with speakers.

I have compared this with the Binaural and the meier. Ar first listening the meier was more interesting, and then for a while I have preferred the binaural, but now I am pretty sure I like this the most.
I have used it with Dolby Headphones for a while and although the first impression was "wtf?" (too much) I had gotten used.
But then I have found this stereo effect based on the Haas effect, called SX36.
It definitely sound much better than either DB + Xfeed, or Xfeed alone. Much more natural than DB, much more open and spacious than Xfeed alone (but still centred and crossfed...).
It is quite tricky to get the right spot.
In the case of the SX36 anyway it is not (or I think it is not) related to dimensions of head, so I can give a screenshot of my settings if anybody is interested. I have spent many hours to get to that. You could spare them.

Reply #67
xnor, do you thing is there any chance in the future to modify the internals of xfeed with some of the Meier's natural crossfeed ideas?

"The sound of an instrument in the middle of the soundstage will be equally present in both audio-channels and isn't given any crossfeed. A crossfeed signal is only generated for instruments that are not placed at the center. The more off-center the instrument is placed, the stronger the crossfeed and the longer its delay."

You mentioned adding reverb sometime at the very beginning of this thread.

Reply #68
In theory you get a couple deep comb notches with the first one located near 2 kHz, yes, but those gaps are filled with reflections, reverberation and are further reduced by diffraction and so on. That's one of the reasons why stereo doesn't sound right in anechoic environments, but it sounds fine in normal listening rooms.
Secondly, the high frequencies where comb filtering occurs are supposed to add in terms of energy and not amplitude. Thirdly, the common part of the signal is significantly lower in level at higher frequencies.
Altogether, the "damaging and destructive crosstalk" is only a problem if you want to listen to binaural stuff with loudspeakers, imo, ymmv.

Thank you for pointing this out--I'd tried measuring my ears' HRTF a few months back but mistakenly thought that a minimum-phase representation of the frequency responses would be sufficient.  I've just gone back and redid my work preserving the full phase information and can't believe what I'm hearing! :D

Reply #69
Any chance we can get this as a VST for Windows, 32 bit and 64 bit, please