Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bug: ReplayGain not saved for some 24-bit wav files (Read 2259 times) previous topic - next topic

Bug: ReplayGain not saved for some 24-bit wav files

I have several mono and stereo wav files (all good and playable) which I'm trying to ABX compare. For this purpose, I need their gains adjusted.
For most of the files of the bunch ReplayGain scanning worked fine, but there were 4 mono files for which the scanning worked, showing the needed gain adjustment, but when I clicked "Update File Tags", the windows closed, but the info didn't get saved with the files.
I also attempted to convert the files to the same format, just changing the filenames, but this didn't work.
However, when I converted them to 16-bit, the info could be saved. Similarly when I converted them to 24-bit flac files, I could successfully scan and save the gains.

So currently I will use the flacs as a workaround, but obviously, something is wrong with the ReplayGain mechanism.

I tried this with v1.2 and then updated foobar to 1.2.4, but the bug remained.

Here's link to one of the problemmatic files:
24-bit mono wav file
(I hope it will work for unregistered users of the gearslutz forum)

Cheers!

benzin

Update: initially I linked to the wrong file, link updated.

Reply #1
Thanks for the report.
The file appears to be malformed; there are improperly aligned chunks at the end of it - looks like some application that wrote/updated the file before botched the process.
I recommend using foobar2000 converter to convert it to WAV - producing a fresh WAV file without the malformed chunks; then you can freely tag it.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #2
I recommend using foobar2000 converter to convert it to WAV - producing a fresh WAV file without the malformed chunks; then you can freely tag it.

Thanks, but as stated in the report, I tried this, and it didn't help. Only converting to a 16-bit WAV file allowed me to tag. Try this and see yourself. 

BTW, the files I converted to 24-bit FLAC allow tagging, but won't allow seeking, e.g. I cannont jump to a different time in the file, so also ABX comparison didn't function.

Reply #3
Indeed looks like Converter also doesn't properly handle WAV streams that carry odd byte counts (eg. mono + 24bit + odd sample count).
Bug fixed for the next version, thank you for your patience.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.