Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: seeking advice on lite-on drives (Read 1378 times) previous topic - next topic

seeking advice on lite-on drives

Hi all.
thanks for the advice I have been given regarding obtaining a new drive for cd ripping so far. I bought a zen drive after reading up on it and some people's recommendations on the forum, and unfortunately it gave very bad performance, I assume because it was USB powered and a slimline drive. As a result I am rapidly coming to the conclusion I would be better off buying an internal drive and a separate enclosure to power it so I can have it as an external drive.

I have read a lot of people saying good things about the lite-on Ihas324 drive. So I guess I would like to know is this still a good recommended drive, or are there now better ones.
From having a quick look online I wasn't seeing these available on amazon, however on sites for used products I saw listings for several ihas324 drives, all ihas324s with different - numbers after the 324. I would be looking to use a drive with exact audio copy, secure mode settings and in a USB enclosure of some sort.
The drives i spotted were
lite-onIHAS324-17, -32, -98, 32b, -07, -09. Those numbers are all the final numbers after the ihas324 name.
Any thoughts would be welcome or suggestions for other internal type drives I should consider.

I know some people will suggest I should use burst mode, or dbpoweramp, but the cds I rip are generally not in the accurate rip database so secure is essential, and I can't use dbpoweramp because it isn't compatible with the accessibility software I have to use on my computer because of my disability.
Thank you for any thoughts on the various lite-on drives or any others I should think about. It would be good to know what sorts of speeds can be obtained from said drives or generally people's experiences.

Re: seeking advice on lite-on drives

Reply #1
LG WH14NS40 is a reliable optical drive.
EZ CD Audio Converter

Reply #2
LG WH14NS40 is a reliable optical drive.

I own the SATA (internal version) of the WH14NS40.  It's reliable at reading CDDA and can over-read the lead-in area of a disc rather nicely.  It's not very reliable at retrieval of ISRC codes or any sub-channel stuff, in fact it can't even burn it correctly sometimes.  Side note: It's great with Blu-rays if you wish to use them.  This drive can struggle more with audio CDs that aren't as pristine when compared with the other two I have.

The most reliable drive I have for reading ISRC codes and sub-channel stuff is actually a Pioneer BDR-205.  It does feature over-read lead-out as well.  Side note: It's terrible with Blu-rays if you wish to use them.  This drive is also the only one I have that is not ripped locked.  This drive lacks the ability to report C2 errors!

I also have an ATAPI DVD A DH16ABSH YAA1 drive (which came from an ASUS CM1630 machine) and this drive can do disc surface scans.  It's slightly more reliable at ISRC codes and sub-channel stuff than the WH14NS40 I have is but not as reliable as the Pioneer BDR-205.  But it fails hard at over-reading the lead-in.  This is actually the drive you don't want to use if you're trying to read a disc with hidden track one audio (track 0).  Probably the best drive to use with a damaged audio CD that I have.

All drives here are capable of reading and writing CD-TEXT.

Reply #3
As a result I am rapidly coming to the conclusion I would be better off buying an internal drive and a separate enclosure to power it so I can have it as an external drive.
Beware that performance issues (you didn't say what kind of) over USB could be due to it being external and transferring data over USB bridges. If so, you might get the same for this solution, especially if the SATA to USB conversion works the same way as you are using now.

Reply #4
I bought a zen drive after reading up on it and some people's recommendations on the forum, and unfortunately it gave very bad performance, I assume because it was USB powered and a slimline drive....
Maybe you've plugged it into a low speed USB port?

https://support.anker.com/s/article/What-is-the-difference-between-USB-2-0-3-0-and-3-1
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)