Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What APE features are "unsupported" in 0.9? (Read 7321 times) previous topic - next topic

What APE features are "unsupported" in 0.9?

Hi, I was running 0.83, but I'm eager to try 0.9. However, most of my files are APE, and I'm a little worried by the message on the component download page: "This component has known unresolved stability issues." What exactly are these unresolved stability issues with APE and 0.9? I basically extract to APE and use Foobar to convert to MP3 and listen to both. I don't Replaygain, etc. Will I have issues with 0.9 and the plugin from http://www.foobar2000.org/components/foo_input_monkey.zip?

Thanks.

Reply #1
There aren't any limitations, just rare and completely random crashes when playing APE files.  I haven't experienced a crash in a loooooooooooooooooong time, but I can confirm I've had the random crashes happen before.

Reply #2
So far, I haven't had a crashed while playing APE files.
I am just a normal person trying to live a normal life.

Reply #3
I've only had a crash playing APE files in an early 0.9 beta.  It's never happened to me since.

Reply #4
Thanks a lot for the info! I'll install without worry!

Reply #5
So are random crashes while decoding with foo_input_monkey.dll (using version 2.0) and fb2k 0.9 (using version 0.9.1) the only issues? I've been considering converting my huge collection of ape files to wavpack instead, primarily because of that vague warning on the official foobar2000 page. Is version 0.8.3 safe and should I use that to convert everything? I have no clue what can be trusted and what can't. Some sage advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

PS: I'm really digging the latest version of foobar2000 by the way, which has finally become my sole audio app. Hopefully foo_history (the way I remember it), foo_playlistfind, and foo_uie_simple_spectrum will eventually get ported. They are the only ones I find I am really missing so far. foo_freedb2, foo_prettypop, foo_ui_columns, foo_uie_albumart, and foo_uie_albumlist are the other ones I use, all of which work great in 0.9.1. Good work and many thanks to all involved in making fb2k the awesome program it is today.

Reply #6
i never have crashes... just that it consume very high amount of memory while decoding it