Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Classical Music (Read 2745 times) previous topic - next topic

Classical Music

I am using Winamp but have been lured to Foobar by the good things I have read.

I listen mostly to Classical music & have Winamp main screen setup to list my music by Composer, then genre ie Sonatas, Concerto's etc for me the Artist is a secondary listing which I do use but it is not the most important search criteria for me like it would be for all of my other music which almost never get played.

The Composer criteria seems to be buried in the %artist%  field & for the life of me I cannot work out how to get my main layout screen to sort by Composer, can anyone point me to some info I how I would do this.

David

Classical Music

Reply #1
The Composer criteria seems to be buried in the %artist%  field & for the life of me I cannot work out how to get my main layout screen to sort by Composer, can anyone point me to some info I how I would do this.

For search, you can use composer HAS Beethoven. Note that there is a difference between artist HAS Beethoven and %artist% HAS Beethoven. The latter will include the composer also.

For the “main layout screen”: I suppose you mean the track list, where you have columns like Artist/Album Track Title/Track artist etc?
Right-click on one of these. You can choose between Columns and Groups. Choose Groups --> More. The next window lets you define your own custom columns. Try to call it Composer and with field %composer%. When you have gotten that to display as you want it, you can click on that column to sort by it (each time – but you maybe want that sort by default? But first step is to get it displayed, do start with that.)

Classical Music

Reply #2
You could use Facets to create sort lists and sort by %composer%. Personally, my %artist% and %composer% tags are the same, as I consider the artist and composer to be the same. The performer obviously goes in %performer%.

This is my layout for classical music, using simplaylist: http://i.imgur.com/Uaa9PG0.jpg

Edit: This is assuming you're using the %composer% tag, otherwise you could sort by %artist% and get similar results.

Classical Music

Reply #3
I am also a Classical person - my layout and instructions for how to use it can be seen here:

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/TG/MediaPlayer.html

I never bother with playlists per se - generally I just search for what I am interested in at the time and double click the item(s) to play them. Example: A search for "beet viol conc" will display all recordings I have for "Beethoven's Violin Concerto" - just click one and play it ;-)

Mike

Classical Music

Reply #5
Thanks everybody  I'll check it all out.

Classical Music

Reply #6
Thanks everybody  I'll check it all out.

Ive managed to get a TAB Called Classical Music & a Composer view, but it shows all of the individual CD's that the composer is in, so whats the issue your thinking, with Winamp I am able to have a list of Composers  in one tab (only listed once each) and filtered so they are only classical music composers, then when I select the composer the adjacent tabs show the detail of all of the CD's that the particular composer is in. Is it possible to replicate this in Foobar?

Classical Music

Reply #7
I worked out I can build part of the Winamp view in facets still working on it

Classical Music

Reply #8
Facets appears to be the answer