Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [OFF-TOPIC] From: How to allocate budget for new stereo system (Read 2547 times) previous topic - next topic

[OFF-TOPIC] From: How to allocate budget for new stereo system

AJ, you obviously have an axe to grind with Ethan. I get a completely different impression from the posts you linked, namely that he respects Floyd Toole, but disagrees with him on one particular point, not that he completely disregards proper scientific tests, which would also be completely at odds with his youtube videos etc.

I respectfully think that you should discuss your grievances directly with Ethan, instead of misusing this thread to promote your own agenda.

Reply #1
AJ, you obviously have an axe to grind with Ethan.

I'll take issue with anyone who promotes and peddles nonsense beliefs, including their self admitted poorly informed acolytes.

not that he completely disregards proper scientific tests

Great, so let's see your links for proper scientific (DBT) tests of anything he peddles and disagrees with Toole about, including this kind of studiophile BS. It wasn't too long ago that I linked the McGill study. 
If you are going to introduce and dispense recommendations about room acoustics, you best educate yourself and be prepared to have that advice held to HA standards of scrutiny. No surprise Ethan bailed here.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #2
Nevertheless, my recommendation is still to hear Ethan out, because he gives compelling arguments and has enough experience to lend him some degree of authority on the matter. His disagreement with Floyd Toole seems to mostly focus on early lateral reflections, and his arguments on stereo image comb filtering vs. reflective comb filtering are compelling. It certainly seems to agree with my own (completely personal) experience with listening rooms that I found pleasant or unpleasant to listen to music in.

And his tone of discussion and discourse has AFAIK always been helpful and pleasant. Nevertheless, I am not against alternative recommendations in anyway, but personal jabs and rudeness are in very poor taste.

This discussion will not continue by my hand, as we have probably already scared the OP away.

Reply #3
Nevertheless, my recommendation is still to hear Ethan out, because he gives compelling arguments and has enough experience to lend him some degree of authority on the matter. His disagreement with Floyd Toole seems to mostly focus on early lateral reflections, and his arguments on stereo image comb filtering vs. reflective comb filtering are compelling. It certainly seems to agree with my own (completely personal) experience with listening rooms that I found pleasant or unpleasant to listen to music in.

The question was rhetorical as usual. You can't provide any such links because there are none, just studiophile believer beliefs espoused by Ethan et al. You are free to believe in the nonsense Ethan peddles, but this forum allows challenges to believers and your recommendations are believer nonsense, whether you like the taste of it or not.
That's why there are no DBTs of those beliefs supporting them.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #4

The question was rhetorical as usual. You can't provide any such links because there are none, just studiophile believer beliefs espoused by Ethan et al. You are free to believe in the nonsense Ethan peddles, but this forum allows challenges to believers and your recommendations are believer nonsense, whether you like the taste of it or not.
That's why there are no DBTs of those beliefs supporting them.

Are you suggesting Ethan's products don't work and wouldn't work effectively in a DBT? That's a bit of stretch, IMO.

When was the last time you conducted a supervised DBT and do you really think any blind test results will be taken seriously here if not properly supervised? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Reply #5
AJ, you obviously have an axe to grind with Ethan.

Played out in public on the AVS forum maybe a year ago.

IME the winner of the argument ends up with the most back wounds.

I get a completely different impression from the posts you linked, namely that he respects Floyd Toole, but disagrees with him on one particular point, not that he completely disregards proper scientific tests, which would also be completely at odds with his youtube videos etc.

Agreed.

If you expect perfect agreement among audio authorities, lots of luck!

If you want umm lively debate, have dinner with a good-sized group of them.

I respectfully think that you should discuss your grievances directly with Ethan, instead of misusing this thread to promote your own agenda.

No serious hopes of that happening, here. You may see that Ethan and I are getting similar "Treatment"

Reply #6
Through his tears, the reputed godfather of ABX and fervent defender of controlled listening test science, says Ethan Winer et al, don't need no stinkin' ABX, listening tests or badges.
Respect his authoritah!

Good stuff Arnie  . What a knight in shining armor you are for the "Objective" position.
Loudspeaker manufacturer