Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mppenc 1.04, mppdec 1.04, WinAMP plugins 0.94, XMMS plugin 0 (Read 38146 times) previous topic - next topic

mppenc 1.04, mppdec 1.04, WinAMP plugins 0.94, XMMS plugin 0

Reply #50
Originally posted by Garf
GCC 3.1 cannot compile the XMMS plugin correctly at an optimization level higher than -O1 (makes everything sound like udial)

GCC 2.95.3 works fine

-- 
GCP

Test mppdec. Also publish config.h

--
Frank Klemm
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #51
Originally posted by CiTay
ABX test, equipment: Hercules GTXP, AKG K-290 headphones, PCABX 1.7.5 (BTW it looks awful with Windows XP's "Luna" GUI, somebody should fix that).

I used the "--radio" profile for all tests, to get usable results (--standard is already too good sometimes). 

Sample: "SmashingSample89.wav"

mppenc 1.0, 139.8 kbps: 15/16. Cymbal in the right channel is overemphasized.

mppenc 1.04, 138.4 kbps: 14/16. Same effect, slightly less distinct. I would even say that this sounds a bit better than 1.0.

Sample: "dogwhistle.wav"

mppenc 1.0, 129.7 kbps: 16/16. The whistle tone appears to be lower. Nervous chirping of the noise.

mppenc 1.04, 123.4 kbps: 16/16. Same effect. Again it sounds a little more pleasant to my ears.

I can't test longer in a row. Odd results, the opposite of what i expected. Of course these are only two samples, and the bitrate difference isn't immense. But so far i couldn't ask for more than maintaining the quality level of 1.0, and this seems to have worked.

Most of the bitrate savings are not active in --radio. It is the mode with the smallest
changes.
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #52
Originally posted by Frank Klemm

Test mppdec. Also publish config.h

mppdec works. I didn't change config.h for the xmms plugin (I did for mppdec)

--
GCP

Reply #53
Originally posted by Garf

mppdec works. I didn't change config.h for the xmms plugin (I did for mppdec)

-- 
GCP

Publish config.h .
Do what I say. Don't thought about it.
mppdec tests all dirty tricks it uses, WinAMP not.
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #54
The XMMS plugin 0.94 seems to be an empty archive, I get a 0 byte file, can anyone confirm this?

Also just wondering if the xmms plugin will support APE tags?

Reply #55
Originally posted by jeffster
The XMMS plugin 0.94 seems to be an empty archive, I get a 0 byte file, can anyone confirm this?

Works fine here.

Maybe your problem is that it's in bzip2 (bz2) format. Try right-clicking -> Save link as...

BTW: The file size, here, is 99Kb.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #56
Originally posted by rjamorim

Works fine here.

Maybe your problem is that it's in bzip2 (bz2) format. Try right-clicking -> Save link as...

Hi Roberto,

Nope that's not it, sorry I was actually referring to the binary at the bottom of the page (which is a zip file) not the source, but... if you can point out the steps required to compile it in linux I will give that a try. 

Thanks,
Jeff

Reply #57

Hi Roberto,

Nope that's not it, sorry I was actually referring to the binary at the bottom of the page (which is a zip file) not the source, but... if you can point out the steps required to compile it in linux I will give that a try.   

Thanks,
Jeff

I have permanent Quota problems. I hope the situation becomes
better when I completely outsource the WinAMP plugin development
to Case from Finnland. Thank You for your engagement!

I don't have any hopes that the "offical" cites are usable for
me until 2010 for that purpose.

Also some webspace for listening examples were nice. Currently
I removed most of the stuff from my website.

<Informational> I'm currently NOT in Jena, this is written outside
my home town, emails are not answered.

<Informational> This is written from a public web terminal and
I have the same problems with hydrogenaudio I told about.
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #58
if you can point out the steps required to compile it in linux I will give that a try. 

Just download, tar -jxvf, make (no ./configure or anything), and then copy it to your xmms Input dir (mine's /usr/lib/xmms/Input), and it should work.

Reply #59
Originally posted by Dibrom

Just download, tar -jxvf, make (no ./configure or anything), and then copy it to your xmms Input dir (mine's /usr/lib/xmms/Input), and it should work.

Thanks, it worked! 

Reply #60
Originally posted by Frank Klemm

I have permanent Quota problems. I hope the situation becomes
better when I completely outsource the WinAMP plugin development
to Case from Finnland. Thank You for your engagement!

I don't have any hopes that the "offical" cites are usable for
me until 2010 for that purpose.

Also some webspace for listening examples were nice. Currently
I removed most of the stuff from my website.

You might try SourceForge (sourceforge.net). Back when I registered the rule was that they require the projects they host to be free, opensource or advance free software in some way.

You could say that mpc decoders are open source, and testclips help LAME and Vorbis as well.

If your project gets accepted, you get 100Mb of http space on a pretty
fast connection for free.

(their service/support sucks, but you can't beat the price...)

--
GCP

Reply #61
The file I changed was mpp.h, not config.h. There is no equivalent in the xmms plugin.

config.h contents:

/* Determine Endianess of the machine */

#define HAVE_LITTLE_ENDIAN  1234
#define HAVE_BIG_ENDIAN    4321

#define ENDIAN              HAVE_LITTLE_ENDIAN

/* Test the fast float-to-int rounding trick works */

#define HAVE_IEEE754_FLOAT
#define HAVE_IEEE754_DOUBLE

/* Test the presence of a 80 bit floating point type for writing AIFF headers */

#define HAVE_IEEE854_LONGDOUBLE

In mpp.h I just enabled:

#define MAKE_16BIT

--
GCP

Reply #62
This is getting crazy.

Aside from its phenomenal quality, one of the main things that attracted me to MPC was its inherent simplicity: a handful of profiles to accomplish all my encoding needs.  Now it seems to be going the way of LAME:  an endless, daily pursuit of some nebulous, subjective, "best" version and/or tweak.

Basically, I do three types of MPC encodings:

1.  EAC rips, for which I use --xtreme (as is)
2.  Mp3 transcodes, for which I use --standard (as is)
3.  Very occasional cassette line-in recordings, for which I use --xtreme --nmt10

I have settled on the release version 1.0 of SV7, the 1.04 version of mppdec, the 0.84 version of ReplayGain, and Tag as my system of choice, and hereby withdraw from the ratrace in order to enjoy the music more.

May sound crazy, but it works for me, especially since cutting-edge info appears to be headed in a more esoteric direction, and there is no way I would be invited onto Frank's mailing list.

Regards,
Madrigal

Reply #63
Originally posted by Madrigal

I have settled on the release version 1.0 of SV7, the 1.04 version of mppdec, the 0.84 version of ReplayGain, and Tag as my system of choice, and hereby withdraw from the ratrace in order to enjoy the music more.

May sound crazy, but it works for me, especially since cutting-edge info appears to be headed in a more esoteric direction, and there is no way I would be invited onto Frank's mailing list.

I suggest you give mppenc 1.01j a try (more here).

Also, i will post all relevant information from the list in the MPC section here. You won't miss anything important.

Reply #64
Originally posted by CiTay

I suggest you give mppenc 1.01j a try (more here).
Also, i will post all relevant information from the list in the MPC section here. You won't miss anything important.
CiTay:

Thank you.  I had noticed the many references to 1.01j (especially in comparison to 1.04), and will definitely give it a try, then choose between it and release version 1.0.

I am not retiring from keeping abreast of developments in the unfolding MPC story, only from the constant "update and compare" rut into which I had fallen.

Many thanks for your kind reply.

Regards,
Madrigal

Reply #65
IMHO MusePack Encoder v1.04, provides the same quality as the v1.01j version. I have done some very rudimentary listening test (ie. Encoding two differenct tracks and sitting down and listening, to them but not trying to pick out "flaws" but to see whether they both sound alike, which they both do). I know its not a "scientific" method of testing, but its all I got time for.

It would be great to find someone that has a clip that fails on v1.04 and passes on v1.01j.

*EDIT* Page two of this thread has some test done by CiTay. *EDIT*

Just my .02c

Cheers
AgentMil
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams