Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What is for you the best album ever ? (Read 384682 times) previous topic - next topic

What is for you the best album ever ?

Reply #225
Ha! I would have answered the same way ten years ago as today.

Guns 'N Roses - Appetite For Destruction. They say grunge killed glam, I say no way! This album did, with its technical proficiency and hedonistic gritty glimpse into the reality of life in LA, GNR made bands like Ratt, Warrant, Poison, Skid Row, and (ew) Winger sound like high school glee clubs. One of the very very few albums where I definitely say there is 0 filler. Once it's on, it's all the way from Jungle to Rocket Queen. When I'm drunk, it's Appetite. When I'm pissed off, it's Appetite. I can't even say that about my favorite bands albums, since I can nearly always point out a 'skippable' track. From the black cover with the four skulls, to the robot rape scene hidden within that would have shocked and scared my parents had they seen it in 1987, the album screamed badass, and it was! (never did show my parents the inside of the cassette cover haha)

Reply #226
Radiohead - In Rainbows

Reply #227
Rush - perhaps Caress of Steel or Farewell to Kings

Reply #228
Ballads is a jazz album by John Coltrane. It was recorded in December 1961 and 1962, and released on the Impulse! label in 1963 as A-32 and later AS-32 (the "s" is for "stereo"). Critic Gene Lees stated that the quartet had never played the tunes before. "They arrived with music-store sheet music of the songs" and just before the recordings, they "would discuss each tune, write-out copies of the changes they'd use, semi-rehearse for a half hour and then do it". All the pieces were recorded in one take, except for "All or Nothing at All".[2] In 2008, the album was a recipient of the Grammy Hall of Fame award.[3]

Reply #229
Best soundtrack ever - Gladiator by Hans Zimmer.

That is really an awesome album, and very sad.

I'll have to throw in a soundtrack as well:
David Arnold -- Stargate

It might be a dull movie but the soundtrack is one of the most powerful and dynamic pieces of classical music I've ever heard.

My former brother-in-law played trumpet on the 'Stargate' OST. But, despite that (just kidding, Mark!), it's actually very good indeed.

Reply #230
Naming the very best is an exercise in masochism, like 'Desert Island Discs'.. But here's a few pearlers to go on with. Check 'em out:
Joe Jackson - Look Sharp! Hooky, snarky, tuneful.
Burning Tree - Burning Tree. There are two bands with the same name, so be careful - it should have tracks called 'Turtle', and 'Wigs, Blues & High-Heeled Shoes'.
Judee Sill - Heart Food. Or her eponymous first album. Transcendent.
The Nits - Giant Normal Dwarf. A magnificent set of imaginative strangeness.
Love - Forever changes. Everyone's written about this better than I could.
Frank Zappa - The Grand Wazoo. His funky, jazzy 'big band' album with only brief vocals.
Garth Hudson - The Sea to the North. The multi-instrumentalist of The Band lets rip at length with everything from drunken Bach to talking drums on a strange and beautiful musical trip.
Dub Colossus - A Town called Addis. Dub reggae meets Ethiopian folk music, with magical results.

Reply #231
Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas

Reply #232
Miles Davis, Kind of Blue

The album's influence on music, including jazz, rock, and classical music, has led music writers to acknowledge it as one of the most influential albums ever made. In 2002, it was one of fifty recordings chosen that year by the Library of Congress to be added to the National Recording Registry. In 2003, the album was ranked number 12 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

You Tube full album

Reply #233
Ballads is a jazz album by John Coltrane. It was recorded in December 1961 and 1962, and released on the Impulse! label in 1963 as A-32 and later AS-32 (the "s" is for "stereo"). Critic Gene Lees stated that the quartet had never played the tunes before. "They arrived with music-store sheet music of the songs" and just before the recordings, they "would discuss each tune, write-out copies of the changes they'd use, semi-rehearse for a half hour and then do it". All the pieces were recorded in one take, except for "All or Nothing at All".[2] In 2008, the album was a recipient of the Grammy Hall of Fame award.[3]

Yes, great album!

You tube full album

Reply #234
John Coltrane's A Love Supreme gets my vote - maybe even beating my Pink Floyd albums as my all-time favorite CD. Late-period Coltrane (from ALS to his death in 1967) isn't for the faint of heart, though 

Get a hold of Coltrane's "First Meditations for Quartet" I can't tell you how many times I have listened to this since it's release in 1977. You will laugh, cry, dance and feel the depth of serenity.

Reply #235
I could never choose an all time favorite album. Even a list of my favorites would have to be about one hundred, but I will throw out a few that would be in there if you don't mind.

One would be "Steve Lacy Raps" Good luck finding a copy though,sorry, it didn't make it to the digital world. My copy is on vinyl.

Steve Lacy "Raps"

Reply #236
Sun Ra "Solo Piano"

Reply #238
bob dylan-blonde on blonde
rolling stones-let it bleed
beatles-abbey road
pink floyd-animals
deep purple-...in rock
doors-strange days
cream-disraeli gears
the who-who's next
the kinks-arthur...
led zeppelin II
supertramp-crime of the century
CCR-cosmo's factory
jimi hendrix-are you experienced?
frank-zappa-hot rats
and so on and so on and so on........

Excellent list here, well chosen sir!

Reply #239
King Crimson Islands

Reply #240
Sun Ra "Solo Piano"

Love that album.

My at-the-moment favorite is in a totally different genre- "Redbird." Americana played by four stellar musicians, recorded with a single point mike in a living room. Very little processing, very natural sound, GREAT music.

Reply #242
Miles Davis; Kind of Blue

Reply #243
Vangelis - Opera Sauvage

Reply #244
I Don't Like Your Face - Furious Pig

Reply #245
I have 2 albums i love most and I think for that first one will stay best, legendary and epic forever. Nobody can create something more creative and simply giving chills everytime i listen... again and again
! Wu-Tang Clan - "Enter The Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers..."
Another album one made my fav rock band:
GunsNRoses - The Spaghetti Incident

Now I just cant listen new rap music. new productions ausing no emotions for me so there is no point to listen and yawining haha

Now UK Garage, Oldschool House, Deep House, Bassline, 90's music. Trying to work on music but its completely for fun, doesnt mean im not trying improve myself. Sending greetings to everybody

Reply #246
Miles Davis-The Cellar Door Sessions

Reply #247
Rush - Moving Pictures or The Tea Party - Tangents (although it's a greatest hits)

Reply #248
I couldn't pick just one, but these would be in the tops...

Speak For Yourself by Imogen Heap (melodic, harmonious, eclectic synth poppy type of stuff, like no other)
Scarlet's Walk by Tori Amos (soft rock--definately great in every aspect)
The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails (crossover rock-industrial/electo-industrial/soundtrack)
and various albums by Tipper (doesn't fall easily into any kind of genre other than trippy electronic music)
Be a false negative of yourself!

Re: What is for you the best album ever ?

Reply #249
Wow thread been going a long time.

My favorite album of all time if I can only pick one album would probably be Rush - Farewell to Kings