Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Divergent discussion about file-hosting services and archival software (Read 4844 times) previous topic - next topic

Divergent discussion about file-hosting services and archival software

There are a large number of possible things to click on to "download." None has a name that means anything and none has any associated explanation. Against my better judgement I clicked on the first. It tried to download an executable before I canceled the whole thing. Sites like that give me the creeps. I will not be participating without some very specific instructions in the HA post that lets me know exactly what to do to get the audio file and avoid anything and everything else -- if such is even possible.

Reply #1
.rar file isn't an executable but a compressed file as like zip, etc. .

To get those files just download the .rar package and then, if needed, download additional software for to extract the sample files from it (WinRAR and 7Zip, etc.).

I wonder why OP
- packed sample files using RAR since, it's not very popular method
- don't want to upload samples using HA Uploads sub forum

Juha

Reply #2
There are at least 12 "download" buttons, most of which suggest they will provide KX1UT2DXV7. Having tried a few, I found they all opened various new windows, then spent five minutes or more displaying new screens that apparently expect me to be stupid enough to allow  them to then do something additional.

None of the ones I've tried actually got around to being explicit about just what they might do or download, .rar package or anything else, except the one that wanted me to take the .exe file. I suppose this is the way free services make their revenue, but it is a good way for the unwary user to end up with a computer he doesn't like anymore.

Reply #3
The 1st link ('Direct download' button) is the one I choosed and got the .rar file downloaded (additionally some pop-up window launched after pressing the button but, it was just a chatting 'room' you don't need to join (if you don't want to).

Juha

Reply #4
That one worked. I wasn't systematic in what I tried earlier, but I thought that was one I did click on. Anyway, now I just have to find enough energy to hunt out something to unpack it with.

Reply #5
That one worked. I wasn't systematic in what I tried earlier, but I thought that was one I did click on. Anyway, now I just have to find enough energy to hunt out something to unpack it with.

There are many free and commercial archive extractors. One famous free app is:

http://www.7-zip.org/

Reply #6
I fail to understand the confusion. As might be inferred from its name, Multiupload takes a file and uploads it to multiple file-hosting sites, each of which is linked to from the former in an obvious way and provides its own mechanism to download the file, usually involving a wait of a given duration – which you chose to interpret as them “expect[ing you] to be stupid enough to allow them to then do something additional”. Granted, one may or may not agree with the layout or chosen advertising partners of said services, but finding the actual link (rather than an unwanted one) is usually fairly easy.

Moreover, as has been pointed out (and was news to me), it provides a direct link of its own; did this not appear at the top of the list, as it does for me?

That aside, I agree that the files may as well have been posted to the Uploads subforum. But as they weren’t (or until they are), please try to suffer the form in which they have been presented. At least limit the original topic to discussion of the samples, while continuing to discuss the method of their provision here if you wish.