Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WASAPI output component version 3.0 final (Read 163323 times) previous topic - next topic

WASAPI output component version 3.0 final

Reply #25
If you cannot stop the process, it's stuck in a driver call; therefore it's the your driver that's broken. Also, posting exact info about your which exact soundcard you're using would be very helpful.

My system config
win7 x64
Creative 0404usb
Foobar 1.1.5

i hope the information is enough.

I'm using the same gear and hv exactly the same problem. I had to switch back to WASAPI 2.1.

Surprisingly, my old Harman Kardon soundsticks (USB) works with WASAPI 3.0. I think it is a EMU 0404 driver issue.

if it is really 0404 driver problem, i have no idea why wasapi 2.1 works.
Anyway, i am happy with 2.1, and can the component site keep 2.1 for us to download?

Reply #26
thanks for great work!

can I ask for feature request pls? There's problem when output sound via HDMI.

It's related to playback,  when track changes or i do seek,  the foobar interrupts sound and enables it again in a small moment (what is normal of course). 
But it causes to reanitilize the reciever each time and the sound disappears for a second (what is right behavior of receiver when sound stream changes).
But that is the issue.

Is there a chance to do something like  'keep connection alive' or output digital silence, when foobar stops sound, within wasapi plugin?  It would solve the problem.

*Also what I notice -
when I test Wasapi  on Amd videocard it works 100% Perfect, for some reason it doesn't interrupt sound.
but wasapi with Nvidia and intelHd  interrupt sound as i describe above and the problem is present

thank you,
Alex

Reply #27
Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 88200 Hz / 16-bit / 2 channels

WASAPI gives me this error in fb2k. Default settings. Win 7 64. FiiO E7 USB DAC with TI PCM2706 USB receiver.

It works fine when I play 16 / 44100 stuff but anything else and it just complains.

Reply #28
Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 88200 Hz / 16-bit / 2 channels

WASAPI gives me this error in fb2k. Default settings. Win 7 64. FiiO E7 USB DAC with TI PCM2706 USB receiver.

It works fine when I play 16 / 44100 stuff but anything else and it just complains.
You Fiio only supports upto 16 / 48000 output, you need to put a resampler in your playback DSP chain or use another output mode. 
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #29
Cheers, I figured it had one built in like in the Winamp version. How do I make it so that the resampler is only active if the sampling rote is not 44,100 or 48,000? I don't want needless resampling.

Reply #30
The standard fb2k resampler, by default, won't touch anything at the exact same sample rate but AFAIK, you can only choose one sampling rate (44.1kHz, I guess is best for you, but 48 kHz material will be downsampled to 44.1 kHz too).

Perhaps someone else is aware of a resampler that lets the user either choose one specific sample rate (for non-standard sampling rates) or lets them select one or more allowable or target sample rates from the standard set (e.g. 32, 44.1 48 kHz and these three values each multiplied by 0.25, 0.5, 2, and 4) so that it will pass through anything at any supported target rate and will resample anything outside that to the nearest supported sample rate (e.g. an 8000 Hz WAV would upsample to 44.1kHz in your case, and an 88.2kHz FLAC would downsample to 48kHz but 44.1 and 48kHz samples would be unchanged).
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #31
I have recently got a problem.
There are some song with different sampling rate, e.g. 48KHz, 96KHz, 192KHz.
If I am playing 48KHz, and change other song with different sampling rate, foobar will hang immediately.
If I am playing 48KHz, and stop playing, and then change other song with different sampling rate, foobar will working properly.

So it is foobar problem or wasapi problem?

Reply #32
What soundcard are you using?
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #34
Hi. I'm also having trouble with this version of the plugin and the 0404 usb, but on Win8 64bit (RTM). But I'm using the ASIO plugin and it works well so it does not bother me much.
What I've noticed with the new WASAPI plugin:
One bug was fixed - the issue from the previous version, when if I resumed playback from pause, there would be skipping in the audio until the playback is restarted or until seek.
The problems now - when playing stuff with different sample rates, foobar throws errors and plays nothing. Errors like "Device invalidated" or "Device in use" or something like that. I also noticed that if you are stubborn and just keep pressing Play, these two errors alternate and eventually (after I press play like 20 times) playback starts. Also weird is that when the playback finally starts, the default audio format in Windows' Sound panel for the emu 0404 usb changes to the sample rate of the played file. If I want to play a file with different sample rate, I have to go through all this again and the default format changes again.
But since the playback is absolutely fine on my integrated audio (Realtek), only the 0404 usb is having these problems, I would say that it is because of the drivers for the e-mu card, which are beta and haven't been updated since 2010... So probably the plugin is fine and the problem is with the emu's usb drivers.

Edit - Update: I just restarted my PC and all works fine now. The default format is not changing (I have set it to 24/96), playing files with different sampling rates works and e-mu control panel show correct sampling rate when playing stuff... I hope it stays this way.

Off-topic quick question:
When my soundcard's DAC is 24bit then to get the best sound I should select 24 bit output in Foobar output options, right? And the same applies to the ASIO driver's control panel, right? Just making sure...

Reply #35
following on from my earlier post

i tried it on a fresh install on a sep drive i had spare with foobar 1.1.17

event wasapi works for a bit then starts popping a bit  etc so i switched to push and then nothing works again neither event or push with wasapi 3.0

yet on jriver both event and 'normal' wasapi work fine

so would this not mean foobar is the issue and not the drivers of the usb dac

Reply #36
Hi,

Any chance on getting WASAPI working with DFX (http://www.fxsound.com/dfx/) ?

When I try and play a song via DFX using WASAPI I get something like:

Opening track for playback: "D:\Music\Country Music\Taylor Swift\Red (2012)\CD 1\Taylor Swift - Starlight.flac"

Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 16-bit / 4 channels

Thanks,

Will
God Bless U.S.A

Reply #37
Wasapi output version 3.1 was released
* Fixed playback getting stuck on audio stream format change.  (different sample rates)
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #38
My system config
win7 x64
Creative 0404usb

Doesn't come with ASIO drivers? No need to mess around with WASAPI when you have native ASIO drivers...

Reply #39
The playback is getting stuck with the Emu 0404 usb even with the new 3.1 version (device invalidated, device in use). But I have 2 solutions:
1) Use ASIO instead. It's working flawlessly on my system (Win 8 pro x64), always.
2) Do not power the 0404 usb on while in Windows. The driver gets somehow confused if you start Windows with the 0404 usb turned off and turn it on after Windows' boot. Also, do not turn the 0404 usb off while in Windows unless you do not plan on using it until next boot. If I boot Windows with the 0404 usb on and do not turn it off and then on again while in Windows, I have no problems with WASAPI. I think it's the beta driver's problem.

Reply #40
New version: 3.2 beta 1

(beta link removed)

Changes:
  • Different default hardware buffer size for event mode - known to work better with specific soundcards.
  • Different detection of stream formats supported by the device:
    • Does not try to play formats indicated by Windows as "unsupported" by default
    • Probing for supported bit depth specs was known to cause problems with certain SPDIF receivers
    • Old behavior can be re-enabled thru Advanced Preferences
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #41
Thank you very much for an update, Peter.

Reply #42
Thanks, Peter. This now works with my M-Audio Audiophile 192 card, if you're keeping a list.

Reply #43
Thanks for letting me know. The new version will be available thru auto-update shortly.

Reply #44
New version up. No changes from the beta.

Reply #45
New version up. No changes from the beta.

Thanks, works perfectly here.
I would suggest to put the latest version announcement in the first post. maybe start another "official" thread so you own that first thread?

Reply #46
Peter is free to edit my OP if he prefers to it that way. Of course, as an admin, he could do it even if I denied permission, but hey! Here it is.

In the meantime, I have updated the OP and subtitle to reflect this new version.

Reply #47
Last version works here with a MOTU 896 mkIII but i have to check "Attempt to play unsupported stream formats" in Advanced/Playback/WASAPI; If not i get a playback error "Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format 44100Hz/24-bit/2channels" when i try to play a 16bit/44.1kHz file. Didn't have this issue with v3.1.

Reply #48
If you're getting this error, Windows thinks your card isn't capable of playing this format. Perhaps you need to toggle some checkboxes in Windows audio control panel / device properties.

Reply #49
Hello! Today I updated wasapi to 3.2.1 and got 'Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 88200 Hz / 24-bit / 2 channels'
5 minutes ago with version 3.1 all was fine. Used spdif output to yamaha rx 671 in wasapi push mode.
Please help.
--
Win7 64 sp1. Asus xonar D1.