Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WASAPI shared output (foo_out_wasapis) (Read 40920 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: WASAPI shared output (foo_out_wasapis)

Reply #75
Every time my computer went to sleep while I paused a playback, it shows the popup when wake up:

WASAPI (shared) PlayThread error: Received event to fill buffer but IAudioClient::GetCurrentPadding reported the buffer stayed full during <number> ms of retrying

Is it possible to permanently hide the popup? It's very annoying.

Reply #76
New version released with hopefully proper support for power events. The playback thread should no longer die from power events and if you don't manually pause the playback the component should handle it for you.

Reply #77
I'm sorry but I'm still getting error
Unrecoverable playback error: WASAPI playback thread terminated: Received event to fill buffer but IAudioClient::GetCurrentPadding reported the buffer stayed full during 1010 ms of retrying
I'm using foo_out_wasapis 0.6.9. All I'm doing is 1) play a music. 2) put to sleep. 3) immediately wakeup. 4) observe error.

Reply #78
I'll attach a test version that prints to console some status info. Could you tell what it prints when you test that scenario again.

Edit: I must have been lucky when testing the change on my laptop. I just tried with my desktop and replicated the issue. I reset the sleep flag in a stupid position. Replaced the attachment with hopefully working version. If it fails I'd appreciate the console output. If it works I'll release a proper version with the change.

Edit 2: Obsolete attachment removed.

Reply #79
Thank you for help. The test version has the same error message. Here is the print from console:
WASAPI shared: machine going to sleep
WASAPI shared: playback paused by sleep
WASAPI shared: sleep flag reset
WASAPI shared: sleep flag:0
WASAPI (shared) PlayThread error: Received event to fill buffer but IAudioClient::GetCurrentPadding reported the buffer stayed full during 1015 ms of retrying
Unrecoverable playback error: WASAPI playback thread terminated: Received event to fill buffer but IAudioClient::GetCurrentPadding reported the buffer stayed full during 1015 ms of retrying
WASAPI shared: playback resumed after sleep
WASAPI shared: power broadcast: 7, 0

If you need me to test more versions, feel free to shoot me PM. You can upload file to something like Firefox Send.

BTW, my OS is Windows 10 build 2004. foobar2000 ver 1.5.4.

Reply #80
Did you notice the edit and update to the test version?

Reply #81
Yes. When I download, I saw the "Edit" paragraph. Also just tested again. Although the two lines swapped, the issue persists.
WASAPI shared: playback resumed after sleep
WASAPI shared: power broadcast: 7, 0

Reply #82
Thanks to testing help from @CrendKing I released a new version that should finally handle standby correctly. On my laptop it was OK to just reopen playback chain immediately after waking from standby but proper handling required waiting for the OS to signal that machine has woken up.

Reply #83
Another power event you could look in to or comment on.
Output = HDMI monitor (which has also sound)
track is paused (e,g, long podcast) after a while the screen is put on stand-by.
After waking up the screen foobar2000 shows an "unrecoverable playback error WASAPI".

Is that avoidable?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #85
Yes, that is on (by default).
Not that it matters. The HDMI device disappears anyway when it switches off.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #86
Error should be gone with the just released 0.6.11 version.

Reply #87
Wow, I'm impressed. Thanks, it works.

Reply #88
From foobar v1.6 change log "Default output mode is now WASAPI shared"

Does that mean that there is no need to have it installed on v1.6?
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #89
Different implementations. It would certainly be good if as many people as possible would help test the native mode in foobar2000. I don't know if the built-in output uses lockless design or how its mixer compares to mine. For example at the moment my output is the only one that allows you to play the 10 channel audio sample from this thread. But my component will be obsolete soon. The new smooth fade options for output implements identical methods as my component to remove glitches when playback is adjusted.

Reply #90
Thanks for clarification.
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #91
Anyway, thank you Case for this plugin, I have used it to my complete satisfaction from the very beginning.
It would be nice if the creators used your experience in debugging the official component as well.

Reply #92
I am running the v1.6 beta 2 and output through primary sound driver via SPDIF to a receiver with DTS 5.1 signal. It sounds awesome. I decided to select the WASAPI shared to see if it made any difference and it was very muted in volume and tone.  Just thought it might be worth mentioning but I think I screwed up by adding the WASAPI component when the beta has it included...I am new to all the audio formats.  Sounds rad here, no crashes or real errors. Thank you for making sheltering so so much better! :)

Reply #93
It sounds awesome. I decided to select the WASAPI shared to see if it made any difference and it was very muted in volume and tone.  Just thought it might be worth mentioning but I think I screwed up by adding the WASAPI component when the beta has it included...

If you switch an existing foobar from DirectSound to WASAPI, you probably need to open the windows volume mixer and set foobar to max volume. Right click on system tray volume icon -> open volume mixer.

With DS output foobar changes volume by adjusting the windows mixer -- for example, I normally have -7db volume in foobar, so my mixer looks like the above image. In WASAPI foobar is doing volume internally so it doesn't need to do that, which is better. But if you switch from DS to WASAPI and the mixer doesn't get reset, volume gets cut from both the windows mixer and in foobar. So with WASAPI you want foobar to be up at your system default maximum.

Reply #94
I just installed 1.6b5 and Output format is grayed out with my Schiit Modius DAC

Reply #96
Is there any chance you could add support for spatial audio (over 8 channels via hdmi, using the built in Dolby Atmos encoder):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/coreaudio/spatial-sound

I know of only 1 player that can do it:

https://sourceforge.net/p/playpcmwin/wiki/WWSpatialAudioPlayer/

But it ain't foobar!

Since most people with immersive sound systems don't have >8 channel audio interfaces (or even home theater boxes with more than 8 analog inputs) this would really enable immersive music content to be used in a user friendly player.

Thanks for considering.

Reply #97
No offense against Case, whom I regard highly, and his great WASAPIS plugin, but wouldn't it be more sensible to direct any such requests regarding the WASAPI output to Peter?

Reply #98
That would be a different output component as that spatial sound tech doesn't seem to be part of WASAPI. I might take a look when I have time.

Reply #99
Hello everyone,
I'm using the latest version of Wasapi Shared but it also happened to me with the previous one. Every now and then I have very brief interruptions in the reproduction (small clicks at high frequencies). Does it happen to any of you? How can I fix this? Thank you.

Sincerely.

Vincenzo