Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Essential Software (Read 361409 times) previous topic - next topic

Essential Software

Reply #100
What do you mean by "alternative"?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=242274"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

He means the ones from here: [Link redacted]

Very useful. Allows you to play those files e.g. with Media Player Classic, without having to install Quicktime or RealOne Player 

edit: Oops, should've read the next page as well...

Essential Software

Reply #101
jIRCii has recently become my IRC client of choice.
While it looks and acts a lot like a modern GUI client (think mIRC or X-Chat), its true power shows when looking at the scripting capabilities featuring an easy to use (and fast to learn) perl-like language called sleep, which is tightly integrated into the client.. Don't be scared because it's written in Java, it's a very fast and responsive client (and snappier than XChat2 on Win32).
Fans of Openchat/2 or ircii based clients (BitchX or ScrollZ) should feel right at home.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Essential Software

Reply #102
A couple of new entries.

CCleaner - Crap Cleaner:
- Freeware, does not contain any spyware or ad's.
- A tool for removing junk files, temporary files, and Internet cache. Also contains a registry cleaner for removing obsolete registry entries.
- Supported OS: Windows 95 and above.

X-Fonter:
- A font manager and viewer with the capability to install and uninstall fonts. It can also repair font entries missing in the registry so that those non-registered fonts can be used again.

Essential Software

Reply #103
TCP Optimizer:
- Optimizes your Internet connection. Makes it easy to find the best MaxMTU value, test latency, and tweak broadband related registry parameters.

Before using the program make a backup:
Run TCP Optimizer, click File->Backup current settings.
It probably wouldn't hurt to also make a System Restore Point on ME/XP, just as an added precaution.

If anything goes wrong, restore your backup:
Run TCP Optimizer, click File->Retore backed up settings.

Essential Software

Reply #104
if you are shooting to jpg:
http://www.betterjpeg.com/

Main Features:
    * Lossless Transformations - Rotation, Flip
    * Lossless Crop (free, fixed aspect, fixed size, predefined and user-defined aspects and sizes), composition guidelines (diagonals, golden mean, rule of thirds)
    * Highly Customizable Lossless Date/EXIF Info/Text insertion (position, font, size, color, background, language, format, etc.)
    * Advanced Lossless Red Eye Removal (anti-aliasing, adjustable size, sensitivity, darkening)
    * Copy/Paste to external editor and back for local retouching without full recompression (lossless)
    * Batch image processing
    * Multi-level Undo/Redo
    * Metadata preservation
    * Compression optimization
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Essential Software

Reply #105
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=256090"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Pretty nice... a shame that it's not freeware...

Essential Software

Reply #106

I have been looking for a freeware BMP-to-JPG encoder that is considered the best. I love IrfanView, but the default JPG encoder that comes with it is not very good qualitywise in my opinion (even when I use the highest quality = 100). I do have Adobe Photoshop, and I think it might produce better JPG, but it is just too cumbersome/heavy for what I do.

Are there better freeware JPG encoders out there?

Essential Software

Reply #107
one of the best programs out there: Deep Freeze 

Essential Software

Reply #108
Strokeit - Mousegestures for any windows app. Freeware, tiny footprint, ~104KB installer.
533216 gestures performed, and counting
http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/

Essential Software

Reply #109
I may have missed this, but is there a tool that allows you to right click anywhere on the desktop and bring up the start menu from there?  I used to have something like that for my old Amiga, and I loved it.  Thanks

Essential Software

Reply #110
The Gimp - Very Powerful Image Manipulation Software.

Spybot - Considered as the best Spyware removal program.

Exact Audio Copy - Self Explanatory.

Foobar2000 - Self Explanatory.

Antivir - One of the best antivirus programs.

Edit: All free, as well. 

Essential Software

Reply #111
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=264459"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm curious.  What makes this "one of the best"?  I notice it passed the independent labs detection tests, but do you have any other justification for your statement.  I'm not busting your chops, I am just interested.

Essential Software

Reply #112
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm curious.  What makes this "one of the best"?  I notice it passed the independent labs detection tests, but do you have any other justification for your statement.  I'm not busting your chops, I am just interested.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=264519"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Acoording to c't magazine, the best *free* one is [a href="http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1]AVG Free Edition[/url], followed by the aforementioned Antivir Personal Edition. The worst free one is called Avast...

Essential Software

Reply #113
Ad-Aware
Spybot
Esset Nod32

Opera
ReGet

CCleaner
LzArc

Crimson Editor

Foobar2000
Media Player Classic
Defiler Codec Pack
Real Player Alternative
Quicktime Alternative

Essential Software

Reply #114
Another nice tool is called ExamDiff. "ExamDiff is a freeware Windows tool for visual file comparison." Two texts side-by-side, simultaneous scrolling, and it highlights added, deleted and changed lines in different colors.

Essential Software

Reply #115
Another nice tool is called ExamDiff. "ExamDiff is a freeware Windows tool for visual file comparison." Two texts side-by-side, simultaneous scrolling, and it highlights added, deleted and changed lines in different colors.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=279631"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is TrNSZ even around to edit the list anymore?  Perhaps a new thread should be started so that the list can keep developing?
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Essential Software

Reply #116
Is TrNSZ even around to edit the list anymore?  Perhaps a new thread should be started so that the list can keep developing?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=279852"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The HA staff can edit it too, but i see no crucial need for it right now. Let's just collect some new stuff here and when TrN has time he can add what he deems appropriate.

Essential Software

Reply #117
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=279631"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Other good free diff tools are KDiff3 and WinMerge. The former will do 3-file comparisons and merges, but can't move differences from one file to the other, it just does merge operations on a third file.

Essential Software

Reply #118
Don't make me laugh. Neither tool comes close to UltraEdit.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=217710"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I too love UltraEdit. The only feature that I miss a lot is hability to search or replace text blocks with more than one line in them.

Sometimes I go as far as loading the text file in my HTML editor (Home Site) to be able to replace text blocks with several lines.

In case someone smarter than me found out how to do that in UltraEdit, I would appreciate if you would explain how (I know you can use ^p to match a CR/LF, but that is definitely not practical...)

Essential Software

Reply #119
Don't make me laugh. Neither tool comes close to UltraEdit.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=217710"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I too love UltraEdit. The only feature that I miss a lot is hability to search or replace text blocks with more than one line in them.

In case someone smarter than me found out how to do that in UltraEdit, I would appreciate if you would explain how...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287916"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ok Roberto, here we go
Highlight whatever you want to search for or replace. Search -> Replace. The Search-String is already filled...all you need to do now is to insert your replace string and you're all set...

If you want to search within the file, highlight your textblocks and press F3...press F3 again to jump to the next match...that's all
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Essential Software

Reply #120
That's quite interesting, thanks Jojo. But still, there are some usability issues...

Highlight whatever you want to search for or replace. Search -> Replace. The Search-String is already filled...all you need to do now is to insert your replace string and you're all set...

1 - What if the replace string takes more than one line?

2 - What if what I want to search is in another file, so highlighting won't work?

Example: when I was modding phpbb (back when I trusted phpbb WRT security), most mods had instructions like "find the following big block of text and replace with this other big block of text" or "find the following big block of text and add this big block of text after it".

Most of the times, I read these modding instructions on the Web, copied the text to look for, and pasted it at Home Site's search box (that can span several lines), so that the text in question was found and I could follow whatever instructions there were. IIRC UltraEdit would only search for the first line of whatever I pasted at the search box, eventually leading to completely broken moddings...

Essential Software

Reply #121
That's quite interesting, thanks Jojo. But still, there are some usability issues...

1 - What if the replace string takes more than one line?

hmm
I haven't found a solution for that either...

2 - What if what I want to search is in another file, so highlighting won't work?

I don't understand your question...Just highlight it and go to Search -> Replace in files or Search -> Find in files...works like a charm  I mean, you can open every file with UE or copy and paste it to UE...

Example: when I was modding phpbb (back when I trusted phpbb WRT security), most mods had instructions like "find the following big block of text and replace with this other big block of text" or "find the following big block of text and add this big block of text after it".

you could just search for it and go back to the instruction file and paste it...works pretty well...

Most of the times, I read these modding instructions on the Web, copied the text to look for, and pasted it at Home Site's search box (that can span several lines), so that the text in question was found and I could follow whatever instructions there were. IIRC UltraEdit would only search for the first line of whatever I pasted at the search box, eventually leading to completely broken moddings...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=288115"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

IMO Home Site sucks, so I don't have it...anyway, you can do it as I described or you install that phpBB hack that installs hacks automatically...
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.

Essential Software

Reply #122

I don't understand your question...Just highlight it and go to Search -> Replace in files or Search -> Find in files...works like a charm  I mean, you can open every file with UE or copy and paste it to UE...

I mean, the file with the search string is. e.g, a web page. I would have to save it to disk, load it with UE, and then highlight the string. Pain in the arse... :/

you could just search for it and go back to the instruction file and paste it...works pretty well...

Yees, but the string to be searched for is at a web page. The easiest way to move the string to be searched to the editing program is ctrl-c ctrl-v, otherwise I'd have to save the file to disk, load it and then highlight the string.

IMO Home Site sucks, so I don't have it...anyway, you can do it as I described or you install that phpBB hack that installs hacks automatically...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=288121"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

easyMod never worked for me

And phpbb is only an example, I run into those situations all the time.

Essential Software

Reply #123

I mean, the file with the search string is. e.g, a web page. I would have to save it to disk, load it with UE, and then highlight the string. Pain in the arse... :/
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=288124"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

as I said, I'd just create a new file in UE, str-c , str-v, hightlight it and search for it. not that much of a pain  But you are right, since OE 11 is out already, they should have implemented that by now...maybe someone should write their support...they're quite nice

Essential Software

Reply #124
as I said, I'd just create a new file in UE, str-c , str-v, hightlight it and search for it. not that much of a pain

Ah, I see. Thanks for the suggestion. Too bad there is still no solution to mass replace multiple lines...

But you are right, since OE 11 is out already, they should have implemented that by now...

Yeah, that's quite shameful.

maybe someone should write their support...they're quite nice
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=288316"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good idea.