Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I cannot get any sound from my CYP AUD3 micro DAC (Read 13108 times) previous topic - next topic

I cannot get any sound from my CYP AUD3 micro DAC

Reply #25
Absolutely, the one thing that you should spend the most on is speakers. The differences made by any other part of your system pale in comparison. The next biggest contributor is room acoustics.

Very true, completely agree that speakers is a major factor. I've looked at furniture and placement and the like. In fact the best bang-for-buck upgrade I ever made was laying down double thick carpet in my lounge and some audio foam on the side walls.
With that said I know I could do with better speakers, but they are relatively new, I like their sound, and if it's not broken - don't fix it.
Just thought I would bring the digital side of my music up to scratch.

Reply #26
Believe me, I'm of a very analytical and subjective nature, so I will not be imaginig hearing things.

Don't take what I've said or what I'm about to say as an affront.  This is valuable information that will set you free by helping to make you a more informed consumer.

We are human and have evolved in such a way that our brains are able to dictate and in some situations supersede what we actually hear.  As to how acute people think their hearing is, I wouldn't be surprised that the better they think they are at hearing things the more easily they are duped.

Maybe you won't hear differences where none exist, but if you do then your impressions should be highly suspect if your test wasn't well-controlled and double-blind.  It would serve you well to be skeptical of your own listening experiences when you can't be sure they aren't tainted by expectation bias.

Reply #27
People here is only trying to tell you that as today designing, engineering and producing a DAC that surpass human hearing capabilities is a trivial industrial task. This means that there's no need to spend a lot of money to get the highest perceptible quality level because, in other words, all DACs (if not seriously flawed!) sound the same. This statement is backed up by both technical knowledge and properly conducted blind listening test.

A listening test (as every test aimed to verify the perceptibility of differences) must be conducted in a way that neither the subject nor the tester know or has otherwise hints to understand which is which during the execution of the trials, because simple psychology tells us that an individual who knows some things are different is leaded to find differences in their performances even where he is not actually able to perceive them. And this has nothing to do with being a "very analytical and subjective nature" because is mostly a subconscious process.
This is not a conjecture, but a fact largely demonstrated on specific scientific literature (and by induction on less scientific audiophile literature ) .
... I live by long distance.

Reply #28
Just thought I would bring the digital side of my music up to scratch.

Unless your stuff is >~10 years old, is poorly designed or broken then it is up to snuff.