Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ripping CD layer of an SACD (Read 2546 times) previous topic - next topic

Ripping CD layer of an SACD

I have the recent SACD remaster of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album and I want to rip the redbook CD layer, however my computer won't recognize it.  I've tried both EAC and CDex and they both tell me theres only an empty data track on the CD.  IsoBuster says that it can't read the Primary Volume Descriptor.  How can I rip this CD?

Reply #1
You may have to use a different drive, unfortunately. It sounds like you're using a DVD drive that doesn't "see" the CD layer. One of my DVD drives (Toshiba) had that problem as I recall.

Reply #2
Thanks!  Non of the DVD-ROM/RW drives in my house can read the CD layer but a spare CD-RW I had can read it fine.

Reply #3
Some CD-RW/DVD-ROM drives can read them.  I had a Sony laptop that would.  Luckily, my current PC still has an old-fashioned CD-ROM drive in addition to the DVD-RW.

Reply #4
Thanks!  Non of the DVD-ROM/RW drives in my house can read the CD layer but a spare CD-RW I had can read it fine.

I have Toshiba Laptop with TEAC DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive which can read SACD Red Book layer just fine - and I've ripped it using EAC.

I guess it varies from drive to drive.