Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AAC Hardware Support (Read 22220 times) previous topic - next topic

AAC Hardware Support

Reply #25
Fascinating! The Microsoft Zune  is going to support AAC. That means Windows Media Player is going to support AAC as well.

Whether you like MS or not, this might be a big breakthrough for AAC.

I agree. I also heard about the Zune announcement today, and welcome it for opening up Windows Media Player 11 to start natively supporting AAC for playing files. Would be nice if they also supported AACPlus (HE-AAC), but at least AAC support from Microsoft is a start. Should make .m4a files even more popular.

AAC Hardware Support

Reply #26
Let's just hope they won't introduce yet another tagging 'standard' for m4a.
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

AAC Hardware Support

Reply #27
Let's just hope they won't introduce yet another tagging 'standard' for m4a.

I agree! No more m4a tagging standards

AAC Hardware Support

Reply #28
We have no confirmation WMP 11 will "officially" play AAC/M4A content out of the box.  All they've said is the Zune front end, which is similar to the UI used by MTV URGE, will allow you to load-up existing unprotected M4A.

Anyway, WMP 10/11 can play M4A content today... thanks to free plug-in AAC filters and WMPTSE for tag support.

AAC Hardware Support

Reply #29
We have no confirmation WMP 11 will "officially" play AAC/M4A content out of the box.  All they've said is the Zune front end, which is similar to the UI used by MTV URGE, will allow you to load-up existing unprotected M4A.

Anyway, WMP 10/11 can play M4A content today... thanks to free plug-in AAC filters and WMPTSE for tag support.

Well if WMP 11 doesn't natively support m4a playback "out of the box", it would be very surprising to me, as you would think that WMP 11 would support all of the playback formats that MS' own ZUNE supported. Unless it is that the Zune software only transcoded M4A's to their own WMA format for import, but I think the press release says that the Zune device will playback iPod generated AAC files.

AAC Hardware Support

Reply #30
The Zune player will load and play AAC/M4A natively.  That is confirmed.

I hope it adds the AAC codec & tag library support to WMP, but there is a chance AAC/M4A will only work in the Zune desktop UI... or (worst case) that the files only play on the Zune portable player itself.  We'll need to wait and see...

AAC Hardware Support

Reply #31
The Zune player will load and play AAC/M4A natively.  That is confirmed.

I hope it adds the AAC codec & tag library support to WMP, but there is a chance AAC/M4A will only work in the Zune desktop UI... or (worst case) that the files only play on the Zune portable player itself.  We'll need to wait and see...

Given that Zune will use WMP as the tag parser, I think its pretty clear this means WMP is getting AAC support (or at least tag reading).

AAC Hardware Support

Reply #32
Given that Zune will use WMP as the tag parser, I think its pretty clear this means WMP is getting AAC support (or at least tag reading).

Well, the Toshiba Gigabeat (which apparently the Zune is based on) parses its own tags from the files, so WMP is not necessarily involved. However, it is hard to see how you can do any decent library management/synchronizing in WMP without being able to read the tags.

I guess that also solves the mystery why WMP11 takes so long when the betas were already pretty good: AAC/MP4 support still had to be coded.

AAC Hardware Support

Reply #33
According to official tech specs, Motorola E770 (Vodafone's E770v included) and E1000 are both AAC (LC-AAC) + eAAC (HE-AAC v1) + eAAC+ (HE-AAC v2) supported. Upcoming KRZR and RIZR are supporting all of those, too.

By the way, the E1000 was released in 2004 and E770 was released in 2005, should I believe Motorola that E770 and E1000 are supporting HE-AAC v2, I don't really know exactly but I don't think HE-AAC v2 have any hardware decoder in 2004 :/

Correct me if I'm wrong please, I'm going to go out and buy an E770 soon, dirt cheap here...

AAC Hardware Support

Reply #34
My girlfriend just got herself an LG KG800 ("Chocolate") and this one is interesting: The manual says it only supports CBR MP3 and AAC but as a matter of fact it plays back VBR perfectly.

It also supports HE AAC v2 with parametric stereo. Files produced with neroaacenc at quality settings between 0.20 and 0.50 play without any problem. (Lower quality files also work but sound awful - and well; who really wants to know...)

A shame that this phone hasn't got a decent way to manage music. Not even subfolders are allowed.

AAC Hardware Support

Reply #35
My girlfriend just got herself an LG KG800 ("Chocolate") and this one is interesting: The manual says it only supports CBR MP3 and AAC but as a matter of fact it plays back VBR perfectly.

It also supports HE AAC v2 with parametric stereo. Files produced with neroaacenc at quality settings between 0.20 and 0.50 play without any problem. (Lower quality files also work but sound awful - and well; who really wants to know...)

A shame that this phone hasn't got a decent way to manage music. Not even subfolders are allowed.

HE-AAC support on mobiles is widespread because HE-AAC is included in the 3GPP video standard. If you look at this sales chart, every single phone in it has HE-AAC support.

AAC Hardware Support

Reply #36
Pioneer A/V receivers (at least the 2006 models) can play AAC files from a USB key or other USB mass storage device. I didn't test mine to see if it can play AAC coming through the SPDIF optical input, simply because I don't know how to force my Linux box to output AAC to ALSA's SPDIF output.

AAC Hardware Support

Reply #37
A company that makes Sound processing for broadcasters - Orban, makes an AAC plug-in for the Micro$oft Windowz Media player.  It's at http://www.orban.com/plugin/.

AAC Hardware Support

Reply #38
I tried to find in Portugal some non expensive portable player supporting AAC and the only supporting was the Ipod family. The Ipod Shuffle is not expensive but the lack of a screen gives me the creeps. Also MS's Zune will be rather expensive. I would love to have one besides an Apple or mobile phone but I think it's impossible to find it here in Portugal.

AAC Hardware Support

Reply #39
I'm not sure what your definition of expensive is, but you can get a 2GB iPod Nano for $145. It holds 500 songs at 128 kbps and has a screen.

AAC Hardware Support

Reply #40
That may sound inexspensive to you and I can buy it here for about the same amount, but the problem is that Portuguese average income is much smaller (around $500 per month).

AAC Hardware Support

Reply #41
Does anybody know what the cheapest mobile support aac+?
[ EAC : BatchEnc : Lancer -q 5 : Lame -V 2 --vbr-new ]

AAC Hardware Support

Reply #44
From my owen experiens:
Mobile Samsung X700. Support AAC/AAC+ written on the box. However, it only plays AAC. It does play HE-AAC without SBR and HE-AAC v2 mono. And there is a limit of 1 Gb microSD flash card.

AAC Hardware Support

Reply #45
Nokia 5300 has a "Music player supporting MP3, Midi, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, and WMA formats" so I guess that means HE-ACC+PS. Only 99.99 if you have t-mobile and extend contract for 2 years. 2 Gig MicroSD max

UPDATE

I just got one of these phones and a ripped a song with winamps aac encoder, nero's mp4 encoder using EAC, and iTune's m4a encoder and they all played on the phone w/ proper tag display. I ripped from winamp at 48kbps w/ PS, nero using q .17 and 48kbps in stereo in iTunes. I did not do a double blind abx or anything, I just listened to one song (Green Day - American Idiot) w/ a pair of $50 Sony DJ style headphones, but IMO the WA (CT) and Nero encoder sounder a little bit better, probably due to the PS, than Apples at 48kbps on this little phone.
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']"We will restore chaos"-Bush on Iraq[/span]