Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Enter The Matrix convert .adx to .flac? (Read 2246 times) previous topic - next topic

Enter The Matrix convert .adx to .flac?

Hello. I acquired Enter The Matrix videogame and there were some UNRELEASED tracks that I'd like to rip from the game. I assume the ingame soundtracks use the .adx format. Here is what the sound files look like.
https://ibb.co/mzH73Kz     (picture will delete itself in 1 month)

I tried every converter I could find to convert them to mp3 or flac but none of them have worked. More than that, the tracks seem to be split into many parts as you can see they are named the same with a different number attached to them. There are also .ims files but I think these are just sound effects. The soundtracks should be named .adx only, I think.

If you are interested in helping me, please contact me at "address removed".
There are certainly many tracks that are not released and never will be.

MOD edit: some content removed

Re: Enter The Matrix convert .adx to .flac?

Reply #1
I think the "vgmstream" plugin for foobar2000 would be able to decode those .adx files for you.

Reply #2
The ADX files appear to be raw Xbox ADPCM. Try xbadpdec. The default settings (44100 Hz, stereo) seem to work.

The IMS files appear to be instructions to tell the game how to stitch the ADX files together to make the soundtrack.

Reply #3
I just installed the vgmstream plugin for foobar2000 and it's still unable to convert them into mp3 or flac. I am familiar with foobar2000 I use it with lame.exe to convert my collections to flac or mp3.

Then I tried xbadpdec. But how do I use this stuff? I tried opening the .exe file but it didn't load up anything. Then I tried to right click on an .adx track and open with xbadpdec but it opened a cmd that vanished after 0.5 seconds.. I am not that great with programming and this stuff. How do I use xbadpdec? Clicking the .exe file seems to do nothing for me. How can I convert the .adx files with xbadpdec?

Reply #4
And one other question. I 'got' Enter The Matrix PC version. Is this the best version to get quality audio ripped from that game? Or should I try and get a PS2 or Xbox Version and rip the audio from there instead? I think PC should be the best option for the best quality rip, no? Or is it all the same.

Reply #5
I was going to PM you a link to a site that collects rips for these sorts of things, but it seems to be absent any rips of Enter the Matrix. It may be helpful to contribute a rip there, though. This particular site specializes in game audio in its original formats, and is a companion to the VGMStream plugin, which contains a vast collection of format and codec support for streamed game audio.

Reply #6
I just installed the vgmstream plugin for foobar2000 and it's still unable to convert them into mp3 or flac.
The ADX files don't have any headers, so vgmstream isn't able to recognize them. It should be possible to use a TXTH file to tell vgmstream how to parse them. I haven't tried it myself, but I believe something like this will work:
Code: [Select]
codec = XBOX
sample_rate = 44100
channels = 2
num_samples = data_size
Use a text editor (like Notepad) and save this as ".adx.txth" in the folder with the ADX files.

Then I tried xbadpdec. But how do I use this stuff?
It's a command-line program, so you'll need to open a command prompt or powershell window and run it that way.

Reply #7
I was going to PM you a link to a site that collects rips for these sorts of things, but it seems to be absent any rips of Enter the Matrix. It may be helpful to contribute a rip there, though. This particular site specializes in game audio in its original formats, and is a companion to the VGMStream plugin, which contains a vast collection of format and codec support for streamed game audio.

I actually downloaded a rip of ETM on forums ffshrine like a year ago. But I was very unhappy with the quality as I swear it sounds a lot cleaner on youtube walkthroughs of the game, so i deleted the rip, and forums ffshrine is taken down now, I don't know why. It was ripped to mp3 320 cbr but there were lots of chirps and little noises. I thought converting them to flac or converting from a specific version of the game would make a greater quality without the noises.

Reply #8
Sounds like they did a conversion job, and a poor one at that. Probably check the hcs64.com forums or ask their Discord server for help with ripping this game for real, by providing its original audio format files to a player which can play them? Again, if they're headerless files, they may require the use of .txth files.