Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Is your Hotmail or Live or Outlook mail working? Please only vote if you are using these services.

Yes, it is working. I can receive password recovery notices and any optional topic subscriptions.
[ 3 ] (42.9%)
No, it is not working.
[ 4 ] (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Topic: Please stop using Hotmail and Outlook email addresses (Read 10911 times) previous topic - next topic

Please stop using Hotmail and Outlook email addresses

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright. There is no way to bypass this, other than paying for a different mail silo to send our infrequent messages.

Re: Please stop using Hotmail and Outlook email addresses

Reply #1
Does the forgot your password reset use a different email service?

I just tested it and received the "new password for Hydrogenaudio forums" email on my hotmail address.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
Huh. Maybe it's for specific accounts. Hotmail and Outlook regularly fill up my blocked messages list. Maybe they're lying to the sender?

Reply #3
Maybe a poll could be set up to try and see how wide spread the issue is?

Reply #4
Perhaps. I'll add a poll.

Users I've seen allegedly blocked, I don't know if they actually receive anything. Including: @jazzthieve

Reply #5
I think I'm seeing something odd. While I get the password reset emails I don't seem to get emails for any updates to topics. I'm pretty sure i have my notification settings set correctly in my profile. I have this topic on notify and i didn't get anything when you replied.

Are you able to check on your side if my email is showing up as blocked for these notification emails.

Reply #6
Works partially for me. Today just to test this I subscribed to few topics to notify me and only got mail from one topic and it was in junk folder. (Outlook)
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #7
I could not register with hotmail... I mean i could, but confirmation  mail was not comming.
<3 foobar

Reply #10
I can't do any of that without access to the DNS records. And I thought DMARC and SPF and DKIM were already set up. I'd do it on the naked domain if it didn't interfere with anything, but it's supposed to me enabled on the "sg" subdomain now. And I have no control over the IP address, unless someone wants to start paying for SendGrid to give a dedicated IP address. Or thinks that sending mail directly from the Hydrogen Audio server will work any better.

Reply #11
>Or thinks that sending mail directly from the Hydrogen Audio server will work any better.

Yes potentially, it is worth a try, as time goes on more and more will block sites which do not comply with best practices, because it is an easy fix to block much spam.

Reply #12
Fine, I'll reconfigure Postfix to send mail directly. I have no control over DMARC or any of that other crap, so we won't be using any of it. Or you could, you know, get someone who actually has DNS control to configure it.

Reply #13
Imagine asking people to stop using Hotmail or Outlook - the ridiculousness of it.

Reply #14
Imagine the ridiculousness of needing to use this forum.

Reply #15
I received a topic subscription to my hotmail address... but it ended up in the spam folder.
I can try changing my password. A refresh can't hurt.

Reply #16
Requesting a password recovery does not force a password change. You actually have to utilize the linked form to do that. And I think they do expire after a while.

Reply #17
Visit here:  

https://dkimvalidator.com/

and send a message from hy.io to the unique generated address, then click view results, anything below 0 is likely to pass all providers.

Here is an example of dBpoweramp mail (rdns working, spf, dkim):

SpamAssassin Score: -0.1
Message is NOT marked as spam
Points breakdown:
-0.0 SPF_HELO_PASS          SPF: HELO matches SPF record
-0.1 DKIM_VALID_AU          Message has a valid DKIM or DK signature from
                            author's domain
 0.1 DKIM_SIGNED            Message has a DKIM or DK signature, not necessarily
                            valid
-0.1 DKIM_VALID             Message has at least one valid DKIM or DK signature
 0.0 TVD_SPACE_RATIO        No description available.

Reply #18
And I can't do anything about domain settings. I guess Peter can deal with this.

Reply #19
SpamAssassin Score: 2.597
Message is NOT marked as spam
Points breakdown:
 2.6 RCVD_IN_SBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus SBL
                            [167.89.100.227 listed in zen.spamhaus.org]
-0.0 RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H2      RBL: Average reputation (+2)
                            [167.89.100.227 listed in wl.mailspike.net]
 0.0 SPF_HELO_NONE          SPF: HELO does not publish an SPF Record
-0.1 DKIM_VALID             Message has at least one valid DKIM or DK signature
 0.1 DKIM_SIGNED            Message has a DKIM or DK signature, not necessarily
                            valid
 0.0 UNPARSEABLE_RELAY      Informational: message has unparseable relay
                            lines

I guess I can try disabling SendGrid, but I can't configure the domain to DKIM/SPF/whatever. So, walk Peter through it I guess. The server is currently using postfix to forward, so I guess reconfig should go there.

Reply #20
It might be worth considering updating the server from CentOS7 to 8 at the same time, CentOS7 has now gone into only maintenance update cycle now.

Reply #21
my email address has always got my emails from here no problem...
but then I noticed this [notice]
If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
I noticed that that one of the topics I am subscribed to had gotten a reply  on the 14th of December two days ago...
and I had not received an email notification I think...

could one of the admins please look into this...
I will be on the look out for a reply email

ps: I also would like to note I do not have a Hotmail or Outlook account/email address.
ps2: btw I am here for the foobar2000  hosted forums..

Reply #23
We already know this now.

Reply #24
just wondering if this was resolved in the end?

I seem to be getting topic reply emails for all the threads i have posted in when before it was sporadic.