Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ripping scratched or scuffed cd\'s..... (Read 7062 times) previous topic - next topic

Ripping scratched or scuffed cd\'s.....

my previous post i got a couple of responses on ideas for recovering cd's that either stall out in EAC or are just very difficult to read/rip with any program, even though they have not been permanently damaged.

i am not too familiar with the makeup of a cd and exactly how much care has to be taken to use these methods, if anyone could please explain in more detail about how to actually safely use these methods without damaging a cd and what specifically they use to do so (like brand names, etc...), it would be very much appreciated.

some of the methods mentioned:

- "incredible success using a good clear carwax. None of the colored stuff obviously."  - gdougherty

-  "If you go to an automotive finishing store, they will sell you 1500, 2500, and 3500 grit emery paper."  - kennedyb4

- "i use azuradisc"  - xmixahlx  (has anyone ever heard of someone charging to finish discs using a machine like this?)

thanks for any response,

dave

Reply #1
we charge $3 to resurface a disc at where i work [forever a mystery!] using the azuradisc...

but i don't pay, cause i work there! 

find a local video/record/music store... that would be your best bet.

later
mike

Reply #2
Have you tried SkipDR from Digital Innovations? Don't have the link- but rescued some badly scratched cd'd for me. Hope this is useful- cadabra3

Reply #3
Originally posted by cadabra3
Have you tried SkipDR from Digital Innovations? Don't have the link- but rescued some badly scratched cd'd for me. Hope this is useful- cadabra3

DiscDoctor is very good for lightly to mod scratched cd's. I have one and I like it alot.

What I prefer now is wetsanding the discs with emery paper I get from an automotive refinishing store. 1500, 2500 and 3500 grit grades will fix anything nearly except label side damage.

I make a little sanding clock from styrofoam, then lightly wetsand radially with the increasing grades.

Finish by buffing with felt, same as the disc doctor.

Track quality reports with EAC very often are up to 100%. I like this method because it is a lot less work than the disk doctor, which is very hard to keep cranking for 5 or 6 cd's.

Reply #4
actually rubbing the surface of the cd with toothpaste can help some. It polishes the first layer of plastic off where some of the scratches will be.
It can help a little but if it's more than must littel scratches you better use some of the more professional metods described here.

Reply #5
Originally posted by Jan S.
actually rubbing the surface of the cd with toothpaste can help some. It polishes the first layer of plastic off where some of the scratches will be.

Toothpaste? There are so many different brands out there, each with several types of paste -supposedly- containing different kids of chemicals. Can you give a brand & type recommendation?

Reply #6
hehe no I can't.
Just check it out and see if it works for you.
If it doesn't then you would have to go for the more professional version.
btw.: your cd's are gonna stink of toothpaste.

Reply #7
I know a guy who bought the top of the line professional wet sander type repair units (way beyond the cheap versions you see being used in used CD shops).  The company that sold him the machine was repackaging this stuff to use as a polish:

http://www.carcareonline.com/meg_07_glaze_10524.html
You can't kill the Elephant.

Reply #8
Originally posted by Annuka
Can you give a brand & type recommendation?

Use "ClearAudio" toothpaste, it has the best sound !

Originally posted by Fewtch
So who wants to buy the first tube of "ClearAudio" toothpaste, with the special brush... the toothpaste is just .00/tube, and the brush is only .00. A great bargain, decreases hearing losses due to plaque! Not only that, but dentist drills are shown to ruin hearing. 

For a limited time, a version with fluoride is only .00 extra per tube.

Reply #9
Good idea... I'll send anyone interested a tube of "ClearAudio" toothpaste + brush for U.S. $55.00, just drop me a PM for my Paypal acct. address .

Just promise you won't peel the label off the tube... you have to sign something first...

Reply #10
I guess that most people have tried some kind of cd cleaning fluid. It doesn't help scratches, but does remove fingerprints and other stuff that shouldn't be there.

When you rip a lot of library cds, like I do, you need a lot of this fluid. Unfortunately it is usually quite expensice - $15 for a small bottle. So why not make some yourself:

According to the declaration of one mixture it contains a simple organic compuond called 2-methyl-1-propanol (alchohol isopropylicus), which can be purchased rather cheaply in large bottles (99% conc.). It does in fact clean the cd very effectively. But is also makes the surface of the cd white (cd is playable though). 

So before experimenting with toothpaste, try it on a discarded cd. Some brands/types might be lethal to the cd.

Reply #11
I have only had good luck with toothpaste (eventough the cd stank) but it couldn't remove all errors.

Reply #12
Originally posted by fewtch
Good idea... I'll send anyone interested a tube of "ClearAudio" toothpaste + brush for U.S. .00, just drop me a PM for my Paypal acct. address .

Just promise you won't peel the label off the tube... you have to sign something first...

I would paint the tube golden, name it ClearAudio Professional and sell it for U.S. $70 

Reply #13
Forget clearaudio, CrystalAudio ™ toothpaste features diamond powder and costs only 500 $ !

Reply #14
Originally posted by Pio2001
Forget clearaudio, CrystalAudio ™ toothpaste features diamond powder and costs only 500 $ !

As you upgrade the toothpaste from diamond powder to C60 and increase the price, the humour value drops below zero almost to the "shoot this guy" point.

Reply #15

As you upgrade the toothpaste from diamond powder to C60 and increase the price, the humour value drops below zero almost to the "shoot this guy" point.

Sounds like truth decay...

Reply #16

OK

Reply #17
Perhaps some people will not understand some kinds of humour... 

So user recommends, too:

1. to remove dust, fingerprints:
some kinds of alcoholics,
- methanol = Methylalcohol (be careful, it could go into your body by your skin, -> you could become blind...)
- ethanol = Ethylalcohol = spiritus = alcohol = Rum, Whiskey .... (be careful, you could be in danger of drinking too much, and there is fine difference between spiritus and pure alcohol : spiritus contains some horrible stuff which smells and tastes awful, because of taxes and ability of drinking...)
- Isopropanol = 2-Methyl-(1)-Propanol (often used for desinfecting and so on)

2. removing scratches:
by polishing:
so you can use (but try first) all known polishers,
like car wax (will not be so effective, if it does not contain abrasives, eg. carnauba wax without polishing particles, wax alone does not remove scratches, it conserves, no polishing/abrasive  effect),
car polishers (contains chalk as abrasive/polisher !)
tooth paste (contains  abrasives, remember: you could use sand as tooth paste...)