Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ogg multichannel (Read 15749 times) previous topic - next topic

ogg multichannel

Reply #50
Originally posted by ChristianHJW

wouldnt it be possible to select a very low bitrate for those instead ?
Does the existing vorbis support different qualities ( bitrates ) for encoding of the individual channels ??

I don't know, and I don't think so, but the format certainly does. Support for more than 2 channels is really in it's infancy so far.

I think you can also couple certain frequency ranges only. It would be interesting to discuss this with Monty, since 5.1 audio support will become important for Vorbis.

--
GCP

ogg multichannel

Reply #51
I think you can also couple certain frequency ranges only. It would be interesting to discuss this with Monty

I know for certain at least one of those lossy noise quantization schemes is used within the codec, the next thing I want to figure out is exactly which one would be used. Phase stereo looks like it benefits from the point of strong period singals like sinuisoids, maybe stationary signals and point stereo with non in-phase out of phase noise.
budding I.T professional

ogg multichannel

Reply #52
Currently anything besides point stereo and lossless isn't used. IIRC the phase stereo modes didn't prove to have any real advantage over point stereo so they were dropped.

--
GCP

ogg multichannel

Reply #53
is there are any set order in which the codebooks are used, like only vector quantization for lossless coupling and huffman codeing for lossy coupling like (point stereo), where is the actual fix on the switches? or is it just the opposite?
budding I.T professional