Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What can I use to encode 11025-hz 8-bit pcm mono wav to adpcm (Read 4993 times) previous topic - next topic

What can I use to encode 11025-hz 8-bit pcm mono wav to adpcm

I'm running absolute Linux (using wine for windows applications) and I can't seem to find any way to encode 11025 hz mono pcm files into adpcm 4-bit.

I have xmms installed and that doesn't seem to like 8-bit mono 11025 wav files.. EAC doesn't accept them either. mhWaveEdit seems to work after specifying the specifications of the file (they're unrecognized at first). I thought this would be alot easier. Hell even foobar2000 won't play them.

Seems like only mhWaveEdit will play these files which isn't enough as I need to encode them into 4-bit adpcm.

I thought for certain I'd fire up trusty ol' EAC and compress every wav file into 4-bit mono 11025hz adpcm high quality compression mode. Geeze like that wasn't long enough.

I really need to encode these into adpcm. I'm working on (sooner or later) a sound engine that decompresses adpcm on the fly for games on older systems.

My only other O.S. is Windows Millenium on my dual boot setup. I don't have other versions of windows since I have no money and many old games run great on Windows Me (Resident Evil comes to mind). It's stable since I've tweaked it through system.ini and such with 1gb of ram in use and all my hardware has drivers available. But otherwise I mainly use linux (Slackware Linux or derivatives).

Thanks

What can I use to encode 11025-hz 8-bit pcm mono wav to adpcm

Reply #2
I don't know if it does, but have you tried Sox?

Wow! ...

I've never ever heard of SoX and it looks amazing. It supports all sorts of stuff! I'm gonna have to give this one a try! Seems to support Microsoft adpcm and IMA adpcm.

I can't help but to ask for a recommendation for another codec that performs on par or faster than adpcm with similar compression ratio. Of course it has to decompress as fast or faster as it's gonna be used on something similar to a 186 or 286 cpu... Not only that but I'm dealing with mostly 11025hz 8-bit mono pcm wav files and I'll probly go lower than that at times.  Anything in the range from 7350hz 4-bit mono (ok I don't know if I'll go that low but perhaps) to 44100hz 16-bit stereo.

I figured it'd be worth asking here already instead of starting a new thread. So any recommendations of a lossless audio codec besides adpcm? Thanks