Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows 10 Basic Audio Driver Pitch Problem (Read 4811 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows 10 Basic Audio Driver Pitch Problem

Hello, when my computer wakes up from being in sleeping mode my whole audio output seems to be pitched up and maybe speed up a little. I'm using a Schiit Modi DAC with the default windows 10 audio drivers. My audio gets pitched up in Foobar2000, MPC-HC, Youtube, and even the Windows system sounds also become effected. I know for sure I have no effects on from the "Enhancements" tab on the playback device interface nor any of the programs I use.

I figured out a way to fix the problem temporarily by checking or unchecking any effects in the "Enhancements" tab including "disable all enhancements". When I apply the changes my audio turns back to normal pitch/speed. I have no idea if it's the fault of Windows 10 or my DAC and I would appreciate if someone would give me a hand, thanks.

Re: Windows 10 Basic Audio Driver Pitch Problem

Reply #1
How far off is it? 

A 44.1kHz file played back at 48kHz is about 9% faster (and a 9% pitch increase).      That would most-likely  indicate a driver problem.   

It's rare to have this kind of driver/software problem, but the fact that switching enhancements on & off seems to point to the driver.

I'm using a Schiit Modi DAC with the default windows 10 audio drivers.
The Microsoft drivers or the Schiit drivers?

Does your regular soundcard work properly?   If you're not  hearing noise from your soundcard, it's probably just as good as your external DAC.   (And if the soundcard doesn't have speed/pitch errors, it's better than the DAC. ;)  )

Normally,  speed/pitch problems are caused by the soundcard.    Usually this is only noticed by musicians who record and play back with a different device, such as recording with a USB mic and playing back on their soundcard.   If the record & playback clocks don't match there will be a difference.   But if that was the problem, playing around with enhancements wouldn't fix it.

Reply #2
I've tried using a foobar playback rate DSP and I'm totally guessing here, it seemed to match at around a 3% pitch and rate increase.

The Microsoft drivers or the Schiit drivers?
It's the Microsoft drivers that you get automatically when you plug in a USB device.

Does your regular soundcard work properly?   If you're not  hearing noise from your soundcard, it's probably just as good as your external DAC.   (And if the soundcard doesn't have speed/pitch errors, it's better than the DAC. ;)  )
Good idea, I'll use my motherboard soundcard (with Realtek drivers) and ill see if I notice the problem or not.

Reply #3
Try Linux

Reply #4
Try Linux
:)) I would if I didn't play a huge amount of video games and if some of my favorite programs also had a linux version.

Reply #5
best linux virsion

Reply #6
Have you tried to measure (with a stopwatch) how long time it takes to playback one minute of music?

Reply #7
Well I've plugged the Modi back in and set my computer to sleep 7 times, I just cannot seem to replicate the problem. I have noticed though that it happens usually when the computer in sleep mode for couple hours or more. If I do get the problem again I will test it out. For now it's just a mystery.

Reply #8
Did you try to untick the checkbox in the hub that connected with your DAC?

Reply #9
Ahh, no I have not. I also should mention the problem I'm having also occurred on a previous installation of Windows 10 yet I do not recall if I unchecked those back then.

Reply #10
Alright, got the problem again. I timed the amount it takes to playback 1 minute in a song on foobar2000 and its 55.53 seconds or around there. Tried unchecking the power setting on the usb hubs, didn't seem to work.

Reply #12
Try plugging the USB cable into a charging port, if you have one. 

Reply #13
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86580.0
You may need to buy an "audiophile grade" USB hub :))

Haha, thanks for the link. I guess it's just a modi problem. Since I don't have much use for a powered usb hub, I think I'll stick with my motherboard DAC. In hindsight I don't think buying the modi was a good idea. I could of just connected my small amp with a 3.5mm to RCA cable. :-[