Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converter: only convert lossless files (Read 3402 times) previous topic - next topic

Converter: only convert lossless files

A checkbox in the "Converter Setup -> Output Format" to skip lossy files.

for example:

You have a playlist with differently encoded music (some flac, some mp3).
You then want to copy the files in the playlist to a usb-stick or mp3-player.
For compatibility reasons, or to save space you have to convert the lossless encoded files to mp3.
With the current Converter you have to manually select the lossless encoded files, if you don't want to re-encode the lossy ones.

A function that checks, if the encoding type of the file is lossy or lossless, and then only convert the lossless encoded files (the lossy ones would just be copied), would be great.

Reply #1
With the current Converter you have to manually select the lossless encoded files, if you don't want to re-encode the lossy ones.

Hit "Ctrl+F" then type: "$info(encoding)" IS lossless

or if you use Facets, select source - 'playlist', then filter - 'lossless',

or I guess there are many other ways to do the same thing

... (the lossy ones would just be copied) ...

I believe that's hardly to happen, as that is the task for file operation component

You should get more familiar with available workflows

Reply #2
It's true that this is the task of 2 different components, but it would really help to have a simple way to select a bunch of files, than use whatever script/component/shortcut might be created to dispatch them to either the file operation or converter component and have them handle the copy/convertion.
Currently, if you want to "copy" files to a portable medi player / usb stick / SD card and don't want lossless files on that device (and you have a mix on your hard drive), you have to handle the lossless and lossy files separetely with different components. It's not particularily hard, but it's more work than what's needed with most audio players.
That's not to say fb2k is bad, it has many great features that more than make up for it's weaknesses, but there is room for improvement, and we all want the best player don't we?

Reply #3
Personally I wish too, decent automation component/extension that foobar doesn't have
As for converter I really don't miss yet another checkbox option, nor believe it would see the day as it doesn't fit there

Reply #4
I agree, it would fit better outside of the converter.
I miss some simple way to batch/script actions in foobar2000. Maybe something could be done with WSH panel

Reply #5
Hit "Ctrl+F" then type: "$info(encoding)" IS lossless

or if you use Facets, select source - 'playlist', then filter - 'lossless'

thanks for the advice

I believe that's hardly to happen, as that is the task for file operation component

In the Converter Setup ("Converter Setup -> Other -> When done") the Converter component uses the file operation component,
so why not use it a second time...

...It's not particularily hard, but it's more work...

And therefore i made the suggestion. Where exactly the function fits better, is the decision of the programmer.

A new Component that either calls the Converter Component or the File Operation Component would be another option, but i don't know how to access the interfaces of components (if they exist).

Reply #6
I also would really appreciate this feature. I know it is possible because the iPod manager (foo_dop) does this when transferring files to iPod. It copies mp3 and aac files and converts lossless files all with one click.

The foo_dop plugin has not been updated in ages and my need for the one click convert-only-lossless-files is so I can send music to iTunes for use on my iPhone (since there is currently no way to send music to an iOS 6 iPhone). Currently this requires multiple steps.
1. Sort playlist by codec
2. Copy all mp3 files using File Operations > Copy To
3. Convert all lossless files to mp3

A one step click would be so much more elegant and easier for less-savy users to use.

Cheers,
Bryan