Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar Left/Right Balance Control? (Read 38399 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar Left/Right Balance Control?

I'm having some problems with my right hearing. I have to pass an audiogram to see what's exactly wrong with my hearing. I hope it isn't that bad and reversible.
How can I can make Foobar2000 pump more juce in the right channel?

I am using Foobar2000 v0.9.6.8 with WASAPI.

Reply #3
And last but not least you can use the freeware DSP Kjaerhus Audio Classic EQ, its handling is more comfortably.

To use this DSP with foobar2000 you need George Yohng's VST wrapper.

Robertina.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #4
cant believe this is not default in the player! 

isnt there a QUICK and EASY solution for changing balance right away from eg the toolbar with a slider?

Reply #5
You can do that for the whole system in the Sound properties, levels, lookup your channels (Front left+right) click balance and adjust.  (I'm assuming you use Vista cause of WASAPI).

Channel Mixer & Surround Pan both should be able to meet your needs.
Channel Mixer does not do left/right but can do front/rear.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #6
quick and easy is something different.
every audio player has this main feature with a slider. why not foobar? i dont get it.
i am using win7 and now i have to click on
-properties
-speaker
-tab levels
-balance
-slider
-close properties window
-close volume mixer

instead of how it should be
- click on fb
-slider choosing balance

!?

Reply #7
schmendrik,

you would do that one time - or do you relocate your speakers regularly?

Reply #8
i have a laptop and using it daytimes at the table in the living room. the table is not where the main speakers are. i have to balance. some times my girlfriend is watching tv/movie and sitting in the acoustic triangle (so i dont want to regulate it also allthe time on the amplifier).
when shes there i put on the headphones, and so on. so i need this pretty often.

Reply #9
Having an integrated balance slider in foobar itself would be a handy feature not only for musicians or for special situations as mentioned by schmendrik.

schmendrik,

under Windows XP the volume control with its parameters (as balance) is represented by the C:\WINDOWS\system32\sndvol32.exe

If the situation on Windows 7 is the same or similar, you could create a shortcut to this file to get the configuration dialog through one single click.

That's the way I do it on Windows XP.

Robertina.

Reply #10
If the situation on Windows 7 is the same or similar, you could create a shortcut to this file to get the configuration dialog through one single click.

there is no difference if i click on the volume icon in the systray or if i start the exe in explorer??

indeed if there was a shortcut DIRECTLY to the balance sliders, that would be helpfull, but no idea how..

Reply #11
indeed if there was a shortcut DIRECTLY to the balance sliders, that would be helpfull, but no idea how..

Situation on my XP systems:

1) Leftclick on volume icon in Systray:
(Rightclicking would require clicking orgies as you have posted above to have access to the balance slider.)

2) Shortcut started to file sndvol32.exe:

3) Shortcut started to file sndvol32.exe with additional undocumented switch /s:
(For switching between small / big view press strg + s)

4) That's the way to create the mentioned shortcut:

Do you see now? Instead of clicking through dozens of menus I have direct access to the balance slider(s) by using the explained shortcut.

However Windows 7 may behave differently, also the soundcard you are using may play a role.

If so it would emphasize the need for and the sense of a balance control by foobar2000 itself again.

Reply #12
yep its different on win7, you have to go all through the audio and speaker config like i posted.

actually i think its a joke that foo does not have such an essential slider,
one can view a spectrogram, it has 100 plugins but cant change a simple channel volume .

an no, even if some dsp has this function i wouldt wanna install it,
all i tried (also the equalizer!) add like minimum 5% to my cpu meter..

will this be added please?

Reply #13
If this comes as a shock to you I would imagine you haven't followed foobar's development too closely.

It wasn't until recently that fb2k had a volume slider that wasn't buried in the Preferences.

elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #14
Surprise, if there were volume controls for individual channels, it would have to process it in software, adding to that alleged 5% for each DSP component.

Reply #15
Truth to tell, I keep Winamp around because of the balance slider (among other reasons, like the double-click scrolling title for tag/properties and using the mighty Stereotool DSP).

Best use I get from a balance slider is while enabling Center Cut (sides) I can hard-pan to hear the either guitarist individually, and I'm betting I'm not alone on this one.
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Reply #16
A Google search led me to this: www.zvolume.com/

A bit overkill for the above purpose, but works well and is very customizable. Enjoy!

Reply #17
A Google search led me to this: www.zvolume.com/

I found this website too and downloads from there seem to be riskfree but McAfee's SiteAdviser warns that this side without exception is linking to websites which distribute adware, spyware and so on.

That's why I didn't mention this site here and I wouldn't use software from it.

Reply #18
I found this website too and downloads from there seem to be riskfree but McAfee's SiteAdviser warns that this side without exception is linking to websites which distribute adware, spyware and so on.

If you'll notice the review/comment on the SiteAdvisor page, you'll notice that the links in question are on their awards page.

Reply #19
If you'll notice the review/comment on the SiteAdvisor page, you'll notice that the links in question are on their awards page.

Yes, I read the comment you are referring to.

Nevertheless I considered my hint as making sense for those who want to visit this site and possibly explore more than the main page only.

That the software itself isn't malware I pointed out.

Reply #20
Could be, I didn't really delve further into the site.

Point is, the Zvolume tray utility has the balance slider on main volume, wave out line in, etc.

I don't know if this thing is usable for anything newer than Windows XP as I do not run those.