Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to tag multi-disc albums? (Read 12701 times) previous topic - next topic

How to tag multi-disc albums?

What's the preferred / best method for tagging albums with multiple discs (musicals, live albums, ...) to them? I found a thread about directory structure but nothing conclusive about tagging.
I thought about posting this in the tag standard discussion thread, but I have a few special requirements which might make a good solution for me undesirable as a "standard". I try to keep my collection in .flac for lossless and .mp3 for lossy. Most probably foobar2000 uses native tags for the .flacs, for the .mp3s I use the ID3v2 plugin. Before you start flaming - neither my Squeezebox nor my portable read APEv2 tags, and ID3v1 garbles my Japanese unicode tags, on top of being unflexible.
There's DISC, there's PARTINSET, the Squeezebox even uses DISCC for the number of discs - is there any one way of tagging that will work with most/all players? (I'd be fine with a method that works for the iPod, the iAudio U2, the Squeezebox ond foobar2000, though )

Reply #1
The DISC-tag is the standard.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #2

- Lyx
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277257"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought it was DISCNUMBER, like TRACKNUMBER.

Reply #4

- Lyx
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277257"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought it was DISCNUMBER, like TRACKNUMBER.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303691"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

IMHO, a real standard cannot exist in this case.

Reply #5
I was just using (Disc X) after the album name, but I've just swtiched to the DISC tag.

Reply #6
Xiph.org suggests DISCNUMBER in the Vorbis specs. Personally, I use DISCNUMBER to number the discs.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303696"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm. I can't find DISCNUMBER in the latest version of the spec. The Wayback Machine doesn't show any version which mentions DISCNUMBER either.

I might have picked it up from Jonathan Walter's tagging proposals or other similar proposals then.

Reply #7
For Mp3 with ID3v2 tags go for PARTINSET with x/x syntax. It gets recognized by itunes.

Reply #8
i just use DISC=1, DISC=2, etc etc

Reply #9
Wasn't there a VOLUME or something like that :S
hi

Reply #10
Xiph.org suggests DISCNUMBER in the Vorbis specs. Personally, I use DISCNUMBER to number the discs.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303696"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This way you can tag Enya's A Box of Dreams boxed set like this:

ALBUM=A Box of Dreams
DISCNUMBER=1
DISC=Oceans

ALBUM=A Box of Dreams
DISCNUMBER=2
DISC=Clouds

ALBUM=A Box of Dreams
DISCNUMBER=3
DISC=Stars

Reply #11
I actually like that, works for James Morrison - Three Minds to.

ALBUM=Three Minds
DISCNUMBER=1
DISC=Hot

ALBUM=Three Minds
DISCNUMBER=2
DISC=Swing

ALBUM=Three Minds
DISCNUMBER=3
DISC=Cool

Reply #12
I've been using %DISC NAME% for that kind of tagging. Perhaps I should also convert to using DISCNUMBER and DISC.

Reply #13
Are there remappings (from/to DISC to something else) in place in fb2k? If yes, which ones?

Reply #15
I am talking about something different. As far as i know, there are some remappings in place in fb2k, which are not visible "on the surface" and also not part of the tagz-fieldremappings.

For example, RGain is stored differently depending on the fileformat - but you dont notice that in tagz.

Reply #16
Do you mean, like APEv2 "TRACK" for Musepack being remapped to "TRACKNUMBER" for TAGZ with 0.8.3?

I'm not aware of anything concerning %disc%.

As a side note, IMHO %__replaygain_track_peak% etc are tech info fields, which IMHO don't necessarily need to match the physical descriptions.

Reply #17
Ok, so before I stored it i the album tag just as (Disc X) but now I've converted to DISC, but my playlist (Columns UI) is sorting it wierdly:
-track 1, disc 1
-track 1, disc 2
-track 2, disc 1
-track 2, disc 2
You get the picture. How do I solve this?

Reply #18
You want to add DISC somewhere in the sort string (Playlist->Sort->Sort by...) and probably also in the prefs Core->Sort incoming files by:
for example my string is:
$if2(%ALBUM ARTIST%,%ARTIST%) - %DATE% - %ALBUM% - %DISC% - $num(%TRACKNUMBER%,3) - %TITLE%

Reply #19
But that doesn't sort the tracks as soon as they are added to the playlist (by the albumlist panel)

Reply #20

ALBUM=A Box of Dreams
DISCNUMBER=1
DISC=Oceans

ALBUM=A Box of Dreams
DISCNUMBER=2
DISC=Clouds

ALBUM=A Box of Dreams
DISCNUMBER=3
DISC=Stars
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303721"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I like this. It works with Ani's album Revelling/Reckoning well

Album=Revelling / Reckoning
Discnumber=01
Disc=Revelling

so id just use

$if3(%disc%,%album%,%location%)

for my album list.

Reply #21
ALBUM = In The Mix
DISC = 1
DISCNAME = Sundown

ALBUM = In The Mix
DISC = 2
DISCNAME = Sunrise

Is how I do it.

Reply #22
But that doesn't sort the tracks as soon as they are added to the playlist (by the albumlist panel)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303773"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

if you set it in the prefs (Core->Sort incoming files by:) it does

Reply #23
Thank you very much

Reply #24

ALBUM=A Box of Dreams
DISCNUMBER=1
DISC=Oceans

ALBUM=A Box of Dreams
DISCNUMBER=2
DISC=Clouds

ALBUM=A Box of Dreams
DISCNUMBER=3
DISC=Stars
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303721"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Note that the different "parts" of an album do not always correspond with individual discs. As examples I could name lots of classical opera's, but I also recall Kyuss' album "Welcome to Sky Valley", 1 CD in 3 parts I, II, III covering a total of 10 tracks.

Hence I don't use DISC/DISCNAME to name these parts, I use PART, or rather ... I used to do that - my current, simple system is embedding all info in the title fields:

Code: [Select]
I: Gardenia
  ...  Asteroid
  ...  Supa Scoopa
II: 180°
  ...  Space Cadet
  ...  Demon Cleaner
III: Odyssey
  ...  Conan Troutman
  ...  N.O.
  ...  Whitewater

Nearly every classical CD has such "parts", and often they don't correspond with DISCS (e.g. 2 parts spread over 3 discs).