Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converter is slow when accessing files via Samba (Read 1549 times) previous topic - next topic

Converter is slow when accessing files via Samba

Hello,

I was not sure whether to post the issue here or in general discussion as this does not really bother me but I rather found it interesting. I have all my music on NAS running Debian Linux with Samba 3.6.6. The NAS is connected to my computer by 1Gbit Ethernet and I usually achieve transfer speeds up to 110MB/s. My own PC is a Windows Vista x64 machine with Core2 Quad Q9300 (4 x 2.5GHz).

Since I usually work with music on my NAS, I noticed a strange thing. I used to convert music on a PC and by then I usually achieved converting speeds at around 75x (fb2k set to use 3 CPU cores). However when the source files are on NAS, the speed drops down to roughly one third. The CPU usage lowers as well, so it seems to be a problem of accessing data rather than a CPU performance issue.

Does anyone have any idea what might cause this drop in overall converting peformance?

I am using foobar2000 version v1.1.14a and Nero AAC Encoder v1.5.4.0. However this drop occurs with other encoders too (LAME, oggenc).

Thank you,
hcorM

Reply #1
Try again with a single conversion thread. It may go faster.

Reply #2
Try again with a single conversion thread. It may go faster.

Hello,

thanks for your reply.

I tried using 1 thread and the encoding speed is rougly at 2/5 of the usual performance (9x compared to 25x), so it doesn't seem to be a threading problem either.
Also I tried reading input files from NAS but saving output to local disk and the speed is at max (75x for 3 threads), so it seem to be a writing issue.