Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WAV audio format with FFFE (Read 4964 times) previous topic - next topic

WAV audio format with FFFE

I have a WAV file that has been encoded with the following format (FFFE - in the audio format field). I can get this song to play perfectly in windows media player, but not in cool edit or winamp.

Does anybody know what sort of encoding this is, and any good links. Is it possible to convert it back to normal PCM.

Here are some links for the song in question

ftp://ftp.iis.fhg.de/mpeg4audio-conforman.../referencesWav/

the song (or sine sweep is ) al00_44.wav

I know this site has a warning saying that the data may be corrupted, but this songs plays perfectly in Windows Media Player.

the data is 24bit also if this is any help. I have used audacity to try and play the raw data but this tool is still unable to play it.

Are there any site that have conformance data in normal wav format or in adts format?

I've looked at the hex code of the is file in the data segments and there seems to be gaps in the data. It is not a space character, just blank??

Not sure whether this is an error (but it cannot be becuase i can play this in Windows Media player ). Calling it a day on this one, conformance data should be bog standard WAV, NOT some strange WAV format

WAV audio format with FFFE

Reply #1
Look back at your original thread here:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/?showtopic=14001

0xFFFE is WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE which as spoon said means "either 24 bit, or > 2 channels".
In the case of your file it's 24-bit packed PCM.

The sweep isn't a particularly good one IMHO, only goes up to 15400Hz.

You can use at least Adobe Audition, Winamp (v2.81 works for me) disk writer or dbpoweramp to convert the file to 44/16.

The md5sum of the file in question is 7e4f502ca3dea7027db473fda1e2fa2a if you want to double-check that your file is not corrupt.