Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Losslessy convert one mp3 channel to mono track? (Read 1782 times) previous topic - next topic

Losslessy convert one mp3 channel to mono track?

I have a couple of downloaded mp3s with an odd problem. They are in stereo but it is only sound on one of the channels, the other channel is silent. Since they are old demo songs downloaded from a now established artist's web site before she became famous I have little hope of finding them again in a better format. Instead I want to make them as listenable as possible by removing the silent channel and converting them to a mono track. Is it possible to do this lossless? What tools do I need?

Losslessy convert one mp3 channel to mono track?

Reply #1
If it's okay for you to encode into a lossless format in the end, yes it's possible to decode the file, edit it with an editor by selecting the channel containig the audio content and save it into a mono PCM WAV file then encode it with the lossless codec of your choice.

If you wish to losslessly alter the original mp3 file to contain only one channel i'm affraid there's no tool for that. Even if the file is encoded as Stereo there's some correlation data encoded between the channel, not mentioning Joint Stereo which takes advantage of this even more. Maybe it's possible to trick a decoder to play only one channel if you alter the bitstream's frame flags but i don't think this would produce a compliant mp3 stream.