Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Speex wishlist, part 2 (Read 4819 times) previous topic - next topic

Speex wishlist, part 2

Speex is getting close to beta4, which I'd like to be feature-complete
(or as close as possible). That's why I'd like to ask if anyone here has
needs for a feature that hasn't been implemented yet. If so, please let
me know.

For those interested, here's what's going to be in beta4. First, the VBR
code has been greatly improved and now works good with wideband too.
There are also improvements in the packet concealment code and the VAD
(Voice Activity Detection). It's also possible to have the VAD without
VBR, so that Speex does comfort noise generation during silence, but
otherwise constant bit-rate. Last thing, the 2.15 kbps mode now has a
better (OK, less ugly) quality.

Speex wishlist, part 2

Reply #1
Maybe you are not the right person for this request, but what I'm interested in most is a way to mux speex with video. Maybe if the output was ogg instead of the native spx this would be much easier to do?
And I think it would be great if some day there would be only one official encoder capable of encoding vorbis, speex or flac and put it into ogg container.

Speex wishlist, part 2

Reply #2
Maybe you are not the right person for this request, but what I'm interested in most is a way to mux speex with video. Maybe if the output was ogg instead of the native spx this would be much easier to do?

Speex is in an ogg container already. Don't be confused by the file extension. If you don't believe me, just try ogginfo on a .spx file. (It's not very useful right now, but it does verify that .spx files are valid Ogg containers)

And I think it would be great if some day there would be only one official encoder capable of encoding vorbis, speex or flac and put it into ogg container.

Good idea. It's such a good idea that it is already on the Todo list, actually.

Speex wishlist, part 2

Reply #3
Speex is in an ogg container already. Don't be confused by the file extension. If you don't believe me, just try ogginfo on a .spx file. (It's not very useful right now, but it does verify that .spx files are valid Ogg containers)

If this is the case, I'm surprised oggmux, vdubmod and graph edit don't accept speex as sound to be muxed, even if I rename .spx to .ogg.

Speex wishlist, part 2

Reply #4
I thought that graphedit can mux speex to video.
...Do you have speex ds installed?

Speex wishlist, part 2

Reply #5
...Do you have speex ds installed?

Is there a speex DS somewhere???

Speex wishlist, part 2

Reply #6
Sure, it's been there for quite some time. http://www.speex.org/download/speexDS_setup.zip
The plugins & other speex stuff is here

@DoomAxe: Yes, I have speex ds installed, but someone on doom9 forum said the speex ds filter doesn't work properly.