Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Running Foobar in Linux (Read 642265 times) previous topic - next topic

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #400
PS: For some reason I could not edit my previous post...

Cannot edit after some time now in the forums, as this will prevent drastic changes or post sequence breaks.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #401
I used EAC for the first time today. It didn't read any tags from CD. Every track has unknown artist and title. Is that normal or I have to mess with it a bit to have that done?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #402
I've always had an issue where foobar playback will stop (freeze) if I mute my system sound. After un-muting, playback won't work until I close and re-open foobar.

Before I file a bug at winehq, has anyone else seen this issue?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #403
I've always had an issue where foobar playback will stop (freeze) if I mute my system sound. After un-muting, playback won't work until I close and re-open foobar.

Before I file a bug at winehq, has anyone else seen this issue?

Sometimes, i had similar issue, but it was not related to the action of muting from system.
If i recall, it was when playing sounds from another software.
Nevertheless, it happened rarely.
I use foobar2000 1.1.7 with wine 1.3.25 on Ubuntu 11.04 64bit.

Which version of wine/foobar2000 are you using and what is your distro?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #404
Sometimes, i had similar issue, but it was not related to the action of muting from system. ... If i recall, it was when playing sounds from another software. ... Nevertheless, it happened rarely. ... I use foobar2000 1.1.7 with wine 1.3.25 on Ubuntu 11.04 64bit.

This is somehow unexpected since Wine's change log (v1.3.25) says

- Rewrite of the audio support, using the Win7 architecture.

So I considered such problems belonging to the past...
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #405
I'm pretty sure that in Windows, foobar2000 remembers the playback position within a track. Now, in Wine, if I pause playback and restart foobar2000, it is essentially in a 'stopped' state. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

PS: I'm running foobar2000 1.1.17 and Wine 1.3.15

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #406
I'm pretty sure that in Windows, foobar2000 remembers the playback position within a track. Now, in Wine, if I pause playback and restart foobar2000, it is essentially in a 'stopped' state. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

PS: I'm running foobar2000 1.1.17 and Wine 1.3.15

Try File-Preferences-Playback-Resume playback after restarting foobar2000.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #407
hullo penguins
maybe my free spirit got brainwashed, but I just can't find any tool to process comfortably my incoming music, so I was forced to install wine and use foobar on Linux.
I'm happy MPD user, but processing files till they got in library makes foobar irreplaceable it seems, while I did not like to use wine but what can I do

Issue I'm wondering is does folder monitoring work for you?
It does not work here, and I don't know if my expectations are high. I'm using skipyrich's plugin and updating manually right now

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #408
If Wine does not work for you there is always the option to install one of the VM packages available and run full Windows as a guest OS on Linux. I use Virtualbox which is free and have a Win7 VM installed which I run my fb2k on. Works perfectly.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #409
Folder monitoring has worked under Linux for quite some time, but seems to fail to track symbolic links. So you may add paths directly to your other folders or partitions, but it won't work if you link to all of them under a single path. Likely a wine bug, feel free to report it to them.

Also, maybe you could convince them to implement folder monitoring under Mac OS X, as I somehow doubt that an operating system that supports global file indexing would implement it through regular active scans of the file system.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #410
It's strange... how the Linux community don't get together and develop/discuss the creation of a music player with foobar2000's capabilities !

They did it for internet ...Firefox etc.
They did it for graphics ...Gimp etc.

Is it not possible for like minded Linux people to form a community/forum/think-tank and 'begin' such a project ?

Maybe I don't see the whole picture ...I've never used Linux (yet).

I've just seen some preliminary screenshots of the upcoming Windows 8 file manager (Explorer) and ...I can't live with such GUI designs (...I like programs that behave like text editors)

I'm still using Win XP; I like the "layout". I "can't/dont want to" use Windows 7 and if Windows 8 (and so forth) are more of the same then I might have to go to Linux.

Why, for the life of me, Microsoft could not offer a Control Panel item named something like "Click here to revert to look and feel of Windows XP" I will never know.
AND when I mean "look and feel" I mean EVERYTHING; Explorer exactly the same, Plain graphics, No .NET Runtime 1.x 2.x 3.x 4.x etc, No Java, No Graphical interface which behaves like a web page infested with masses of Javascript ...I want a graphical interface which feels like a web page containing one HTML file and one CSS file and nothing more; and last but not least ...no annoying security features ...ALL SECURITY FEATURES OFF ... If I brick the O.S then so be it (I'll restore from a Drive Snapshot backup image).

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #411
My incoming music is in ~/Music. After your replies I tried again, and now it works. I restarted to see if maybe that could be the problem, but again works fine and monitors
Could be I lost my touch (I did press OK/Apply in Preferences dialog in previous try)
Nevermind

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #412
Is it not possible for like minded Linux people to form a community/forum/think-tank and 'begin' such a project ?

I have wondered the same thing myself. Maybe we should start a website for it. The problem is that if there were good developers who were interested in that kind of project, why hasn't someone already started one? I think a community think-tank may very well fail to progress beyond just a think-tank for lack of willing developers who are committed to the whole feature set. There are many decent linux audio players that have some of foobar2000's features, but not all.

Writing a foobar2000 clone doesn't seem like it would be an extremely difficult task, and I have toyed with the idea. It would be a significant project though, because of the details and thus the time involved. I wouldn't start unless I was fairly committed to going through with it and had a little more understanding of just how much work it would take. (I also have little experience in application development.) Like I said, it would necessitate at least one committed and competent programmer, just like the real foobar2000.

So, I would be willing to start a website with a forum for the purpose of promoting and centralizing the project, but I would like to know if anyone else would participate.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #413
Can some1 help me out whit this annoying problem, I dont have scrollbar in album list, I always must make the window biger to see what folders I have in albumlist. I dont underestand whats the problem. I made two pictures that you guiz underestand what problem I have.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #414
This is happening since Wine 1.3.2x. Currently 1.3.33

I upgraded to this Wine version because of the global media shortcut possibilities, which, seems like does not work.
However, since I upgraded, the audio randomly gets stuck during playback, mostly shortly after a track-change. The only solution is to close foobar2000, reset the audio output in ubuntu and start foobar2000 again.

I could not find a clue as of what could cause this problem under wine. The cmd-output of wine does not show anything strange or unusual, and neither does foobar2000's log when the "stuck" happens. Since Rhythmbox plays back without issues, this seems to me like a wine issue, but thene again, I find it rather strange that the devs did not notice it for this amount of time (over 6 months), yet they do so many bugfixes between versions...

Is there anyone else having this problem? Did you manage to solve this? If yes, how?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #415
In my case, audio output from foobar2000 got more stable since some evolution on wine audio interface with pulse audio (around version 1.3.27).
Are you using pulse audio ?
Now wine set the audio output almost automatically and I thnik it works quite better.
I've no specific settings, so I dont know how to help you.

It still happens that the sound output "freezes" but less than before, that is very rare.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #416
I, too, have been experiencing random audio lockups on newer versions of wine.  However I noticed I was only experiencing it on my machines running PulseAudio.  I have other machines where I reverted to ALSA for mythtv and skype and those machines seem to play without the lockups.  I removed pulseaudio from my main workstation where I was experiencing the audio lockups and the lockups went away.

I dont know what the exact problem is, and I dont want to get into the politics of PulseAudio, but going back to plain old ALSA works for me (for now).

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #417
I, too, have been experiencing random audio lockups on newer versions of wine.  However I noticed I was only experiencing it on my machines running PulseAudio.  I have other machines where I reverted to ALSA for mythtv and skype and those machines seem to play without the lockups.  I removed pulseaudio from my main workstation where I was experiencing the audio lockups and the lockups went away.

I dont know what the exact problem is, and I dont want to get into the politics of PulseAudio, but going back to plain old ALSA works for me (for now).

On the Wine forum for user, it is often mentioned that using pluseaudio still leads to sound problems.
It works better with other audio engine.
But the up-to-date development version (v1.3.33) seems to reduce the occurence of these lockups with pulseaudio.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #418
I had same/similar problem yesterday. Googling around I found this blog: http://art.ified.ca/?page_id=40 with link to working PPA for Wine build with pulseaudio support: https://launchpad.net/~c-korn/+archive/ppa (for Ubuntu users) which updates Wine to 1.3.24 and works beautifully here.
Don't know about the > 1.3.24 Wine talk in that blog, but neither I plan to go higher then Ubuntu 11.04 or current Wine version, so don't care about it.

I wanted to ask if anyone managed to tweak those unorthodox text boxes in Advanced preferences?
Pictured problem:

1. I want to change my preference for just any setting which has this tiny text box control, like Autocomplete:

Any tips?

Also I would like to mention that disabling peakmeter toolbar halved CPU usage to 3% (like if I use MPD/Sonata). It's something I didn't expected and thought to share, as on Windows I didn't noticed any CPU influence while using peakmeter.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #419
Yes, report the issue to the wine developers. It is a problem which can be fixed by making the involved Common Controls consistent enough with Windows itself for the implemented behavior to work with them.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #420
Here is quick and dirty tip:

1. winecfg > libraries > comctl32 - native
2. foobar2000, then change advanced settings
3. winecfg > libraries > comctl32 - builtin

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #421
I share my desktop file launcher (and quicklist for Ubuntu):

Code: [Select]
[Desktop Entry]
Name=foobar2000
GenericName=Music Player
Comment=Plays music
Exec=wine "/*path-to*/foobar2000.exe"
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Icon=/*path-to*/foobar2000.png
Categories=AudioVideo;Wine
MimeType=inode/directory;application/x-cue;application/x-ogg;application/ogg;audio/x-vorbis+ogg;audio/x-scpls;audio/x-mp3;audio/x-mpeg;audio/mpeg;audio/x-mpegurl;audio/x-flac;audio/x-aiff;audio/x-ms-wma;audio/x-wav

X-Ayatana-Desktop-Shortcuts=Play-Pause;Stop;Previous;Next

[Play-Pause Shortcut Group]
Name=Play/Pause
Exec=wine "/*path-to*/foobar2000.exe" /playpause
TargetEnvironment=Unity

[Stop Shortcut Group]
Name=Stop
Exec=wine "/*path-to*/foobar2000.exe" /stop
TargetEnvironment=Unity

[Previous Shortcut Group]
Name=Previous
Exec=wine "/*path-to*/foobar2000.exe" /prev
TargetEnvironment=Unity

[Next Shortcut Group]
Name=Next
Exec=wine "/*path-to*/foobar2000.exe" /next
TargetEnvironment=Unity

Support for drag&drop of file(s) or folder(s) on launcher icon for defined mimetypes by changing Exec line to:

Code: [Select]
Exec=sh -c "echo -n %F | sed 's/ \//\x0z:\//g;s/^/z:/' | xargs -0 wine '/*path-to*/foobar2000.exe'"

foobar2000.png: http://i.imgur.com/2DL48.png

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #422
I'm trying to display a custom tag in the Standard Fields Properties Dialogue panel. As I understand it I should be able to edit Preferences>Advanced>Display>Properties dialog>Standard fields

But, as soon as I single left-click in that field it clears completely, & anything I enter becomes the only entry.

Screen grabs here (can't figure out how to get image URLs, to inline them - has something changed?).

Is this a known WINE problem? I haven't noticed any other issues running foobar (since I set WINE Audio to Emulation).

foobar 1.1.0 installed as portable, wine-1.2.2, Mint 10 fully up to date.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #423
Scroll up a bit to [a href='index.php?act=findpost&pid=777717']this post[/a].

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #424
(can't figure out how to get image URLs, to inline them - has something changed?)
Images uploaded to IPB are linked dynamically via PHP, rather than by a static link to the physical file; these cannot be placed inline because, as attempting to do so will inform the user, “dynamic pages in the [IMG] tags are not allowed”. You can always use another host, such as imgur, if you prefer to embed images in your post.