Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ABX 11/11 without any effort? wth? (Read 5015 times) previous topic - next topic

ABX 11/11 without any effort? wth?

I made few first abx tests of mine on same track from differing codecs. encoded not by me. I used foobar2k for abx, and frankly wasn't able to distinguish between them at all. Yet I was getting upto solid 4/4. Then I was amused and thought heck lets try how far I can go that way - I took off my phones and simply tried to predict what the next A/B position would be. And guess what? I got to 11/11 before I made first mistake. uh-huh?

What does it mean? Luck? As it stands, I lost all confidence that ABX testing shows anything at all... or I should be making at least 30+ tests to rule out my ability to intuite next program generated random position?
It really really did sound different. Not in a placebo way.

Reply #1
IIRC Garf managed to do the same thing once.

Try the same e.g. 10 times. If you get 11/11 again you should seriously consider earning your money by playing roulette.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #2
If you just click randomly, you'll get a 95% significant result 1/20 times (on average).

This is why having samples is important with ABX result - the results must be repeatable.

Reply #3
If you just click randomly, you'll get a 95% significant result 1/20 times (on average).

thats probaly why they call i 95% as there is a 5% chance you are guessing....
Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #4
also, i notice that foobar2k tends to favour "x is a" more than "y is a".

but if you listen to the samples hard enough it's not a significant problem i think (at lease 1/20 times, but that's why you should keep a log of the test and say "i'm just guessing and can't hear a difference" for test where appropriate)

of course you could repeat the test and discard results, but that goes against statistical methodology.

Reply #5
also, i notice that foobar2k tends to favour "x is a" more than "y is a".

No.