Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Good hardware review site for speakers? (Read 3910 times) previous topic - next topic

Good hardware review site for speakers?

Can anyone recommend a good site for reviews of speakers? Alternatively, can anyone recommend a good set af 5.1 speakers in the sub £80 price range? I am currently looking at the Creative Inspire 5300 and the Videologic ZXR-500. I will mainly be using them to watch movies as my music will get outputted to my hifi. At the moment I have Altec Lansing ATP3s, how will the two above sound compared to these?

Reply #1
Try this site it has reviews for most any type of Hi-Fi gear

http://www.audioreview.com/reviewscrx.aspx
What if the Hokey Pokey....is What it's all about?

Reply #3
Thanks for the link CiTay, but they don't have reviews of cheap 5.1 systems.

I've read the review at tomshardware and it says the videologic is pretty good. Does anyone own one or know whether it's a good buy?

Reply #4
Ideally you should skip going cheap and dirty.  Build a good home theater slowly.  I started with an older stereo set then added a good quality center, added matching high quality bookshelves as my mains, added a pair of matched rear speakers and finally added a good sub.  Going that route ends with a good home theater setup, picking up a cheap package gives you something you'll probably toss once you save for or can afford better, not to mention it sounds poor now.  I spent $1500US on speakers (no sub) over two or three years and I have a stereo setup that will keep me happy for the next 20.

G

Reply #5
That would be nice, but unfortunately I'm still a student and therfore can't even afford a tenth of what your system cost you

Reply #6
Then you have to DIY. Do you have some basic woodworking skills?