Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows Media Lossless Question (Read 6972 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows Media Lossless Question

Hello All,

I use WML all the time and have no problems when I make CDR's. The only thing curious is when I play a WML file on my computer and use the "slide bar" to fast forward the song, the track seems to slow down like a semi-tone or something. If I just play it normal, it's fine. Does this happen to anybody else? The time of the file is the same as the CD, it's just when I "slide" it forward, it slows down.

Again, the time of the file matches the CD perfectly, and it sounds fine (no speed variation) when I just play the file. The "slide" thing doesn't happen on MP3's though. It's strange. It's probably just a fluke. The file plays fine normally, or burning it to a CD, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it, but I don't get it. Any ideas?

Reply #1
What are you using to play the files?

Reply #3
So do you guys think this is anything to worry about?

Reply #4
I'd install/reinstall the latest WMP.  I recall a Windows PC some years back that WMP got hosed and did weird things.. reinstall fixed it.

Reply #5
Make sure all of the "audio processing" options are turned off, too.
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Reply #6
Would that matter if the same thing happens when I play the file through the Creative Media Player?

I just want to make sure the files are not corrupted. I mean, I can't imagine that they are if the timing matches the CD timings, and they play fine. It's just the "slide" thing. Maybe I'm just having an OCD moment.  The WMP seems to rip & burn fine. Is there a way to just check a file to make sure it's ok?

Reply #7
Play the file on another Windows PC is the only other thing I can think of that would isolate a file problem if there is a problem.

Reply #8
I know I sound a little dopey, but would I need to transfer it on to CD in order to play it on another PC? I don't have any problems once it is on CD. Sorry, I'm kind of a novice at this.

I did covert a WMA lossless file to an Itunes file and didn't have the "slide" problem. I think I'm probably being anal and this is some kind of fluke. I was just curious if anybody else experienced this.

Reply #9
If you encoded it without DRM, yes, you can transfer the WMAL file to another pc without worries.
If you did encode with DRM, you should be able to decode it in the PC you created it, and create a new one without DRM. Burning onto CD adds an unnecessary step (having to rip it again).

The problem you are having with that file is due to the decoder. It has a fault somewhere, and the only one i could imagine right now is an error with the sampling rate. From what you said, i assume the origin of this file is a CD (44Khz). If that played erroneously at 48Khz without being resampled, it would actually sound a bit faster, not slower, but i still believe it's a problem related to that.

Reply #10
Maybe it is something with the decoder when I "slide" the track forward? Again, the files seem fine. The files match the CD time to the second. Perhaps when the file gets jerked forward when sliding the bar, that is the reason it slows it down. BTW, I can play the file again from the beginning and there is no problem. The "slide" doesn't permanently slow down the file or corrupt it in any way. Strange...