Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Checking FLAC files in Linux (Read 4347 times) previous topic - next topic

Checking FLAC files in Linux

After years of lurking and finding that this board can solve all my music problems - for which I am eternally grateful to this community - I am stuck. I need help to test all my flac files.

All my Cds were ripped to FLAC (using EAC or Plextools on windows) and the files saved to 2 hard drives. The files are stored without subdirectories, just in directories "Lossless" and "Lossless2".

Having moved the files over to a linux box now, I would like to check for errors. I should emphasise that I have had no specific problems - this is for peace of mind. I am a total novice with linux, but after searching here I used the following:

flac -t -s *.flac "%i" 2>> log.txt

This worked fine on a small directory with about 6 test files. But when I try to use this on the "real" directories the thing pauses then returns to the prompt without any file testing. Any help with this would be really appreciated.

Reply #1
flac -t -s *.flac "%i" 2>> log.txt

This worked fine on a small directory with about 6 test files. But when I try to use this on the "real" directories the thing pauses then returns to the prompt without any file testing. Any help with this would be really appreciated.

If there are Really Many flac files in that directory the globbing with the *.flac wildcard will expand to a command line too long.

find -name "*.flac" -print0 | xargs -0 flac -t -s

would sidestep that issue, because xargs feeds only as many files into the command as your shell can handle. I would check without redirecting output first.

And, what is "%i" for?

Reply #2
Thanks for the fast response  . I will try that tonight.

As for the "%i" thing - I have no idea, it was copied from some other post. Being a complete newbie with linux I just followed the recommendation.

Reply #3
Many thanks towolf that worked perfectly.