Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Amp/receiver (Read 5242 times) previous topic - next topic

Amp/receiver

I want to buy a high quality amp most important sound quality, power then maybe
dolby 5.1 but not too important what brands/models should I be searching for?
I would like to spend a max of $250u.s

Amp/receiver

Reply #1
Someone once told me that you should never settle for less than $150 per channel in your amplifier: The technology for power amps has not changed much over the last 20 years. The components for a decent power amp cost around $120.

A stereo amp consist of a chassis, power supply, pre-amp and two power amps -- one for each channel. Some will also contain remote control and radio circuts + display.

A dolby digital receiver consists of chassis, power supply, pre-amp, five power amps, remote control circuts, radio circuts, display, analog pro logic circuts and DAC/DD circuts.
If you can pack all this for the same price as a stereo amp, you can be sure the power amps are crap.

So I recommend buying a new decent stereo amp or better a used "higher-end" stereo amp.

If you go for the used option, I recommend the Sony ES series, i.e. TA-FA30ES (around $500 new -- $250 used seems reasonable). I own three ES components myself and I am very pleased with them.

Stay away from the Sony QS series. You are paying mostly for the pretty aluminium front.

You might also want to stay away from Denon. They've had this bad reputation for making too "bright" sounding amps during the 90s.

Amp/receiver

Reply #2
Originally posted by westgroveg
I want to buy a high quality amp most important sound quality, power then maybe
dolby 5.1 but not too important what brands/models should I be searching for?
I would like to spend a max of 0u.s

It depends what you mean by high quality I suppose. There is no such amp in this price range unless you build it yourself, or get lucky with something used.

You might want to see what Bryston has for integrated amps. These are very well regarded amps at a more reasonable price but I am not even sure they have integrated amps at all.

Of the Japanese surround stuff, I think Yamaha amps are the least brittle sounding by far, but to say they have any true warmth is a stretch.

Just opinions, but I sold this stuff for years and still audition the new stuff regularly:D

Addendum  Checked them out for you. Bryston has 1 60W integrated for about $1500 US. So much for reasonable:mad:

Amp/receiver

Reply #3
Just my $0.02 but I collect models from the 70's They are true power and have stood the test of time.  You can usually locate them on ebay. 
If you are looking for integrated amp:
Marantz  Model1200...1250....1260....1300
Pioneer  SA models
Sansui    AU series

Check out the size of the Capacitors, the Transformors.  And wattage...True.  not like the cheap plastic junk of today.  They are not 5:1 but after listening to them you will never go back.

Specs.      http://www.classic-audio.com/
Reviews.  http://www.audioreview.com/reviewscrx.aspx

For you price range you can not buy anything new that would compare at under $1000.00

What if the Hokey Pokey....is What it's all about?

Amp/receiver

Reply #4
There was a Proton amplifier in your price range that was not bad. Don't remember the model.

Amp/receiver

Reply #5
Good comments..

Here's another info source:  www.tnt-audio.com

They have reviews and buyer guides for older (as well as newer) amps and gear..  they also believe there were many great older pieces that compare well with the new stuff,  except for the price!  Their forums (and others out there) should be a good source to get opinions on older stuff..

If you wouldn't be scared off by building your own..  www.printedelectronics.com is the home of the AKSA amp kits..  fairly easy kits and rather well thought of,  for being so low cost..    If 5.1 is desired,  you could build a pair of the 55W kits,  and a single mono channel 55 or 100W (he'll sell it that way) for the sub. 

I'm looking at one of these myself..  would be a fun project..

Amp/receiver

Reply #6
I recently purchase a Harman Kardon HK3370 stereo receiver paired with Paradigm Atom speakers. I purchased the HK for $239--the speakers were about $215. I also purchased Grado SR-60 headphones. I am totally satisfied on all counts.

A serious audiophile friend recently listened to my system--total cost around $500--and told me it was comparable to a $15K system vintage five years ago.

I'm connected to a P4 @1.7 Ghz with SB Audigy sound card. I have no complaints there except for the mini-jack connectors.

The fan noise of the computer is a problem that I need to address at some point.

Amp/receiver

Reply #7
Nice system
HK...70 watts x 2 @ 8 Ohms (20Hz-20kHz, <0.07% THD, both channels driven)
I have always had my indifferance to Paradigm though.
Frequency Response
On-Axis (0°) ..... ±2dB from 90Hz-20kHz
Off-Axis (30°) ..... ±2dB from 90Hz-15kHz

Should do some serious rocking though
What if the Hokey Pokey....is What it's all about?