Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 player song and bitrate stats (Read 2577 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 player song and bitrate stats

Hi I just have a question, I looked on the Wiki you know for that basic if you want to know how many songs fit in a gig, based on how is ripped bitrate ect.  You know if say you got a 1 gig mp3 player and you want to know what to rip in to fit more songs based on the normal 4-5 min song times.  I could have sworn I seen here on fourms but mabie it was Wiki? if someone has this chart ect let me know.

Thanks

Reply #1
Hi I just have a question, I looked on the Wiki you know for that basic if you want to know how many songs fit in a gig, based on how is ripped bitrate ect.  You know if say you got a 1 gig mp3 player and you want to know what to rip in to fit more songs based on the normal 4-5 min song times.  I could have sworn I seen here on fourms but mabie it was Wiki? if someone has this chart ect let me know.

Thanks

Get ye a calculator:

(s=second; min=minute; h=hour)

130 kbit/s x 60 s/min = 7800 kbit/min
7800 kbit/min : 8 kbit/kbyte = 975 kbyte/min
975 kbyte/min : 1024 kbyte/mbyte = 0,95 mbyte/min
950 mbyte : 0,95 mbyte/min = 1000 min
1000 min : 5 min = 200 ---> 200 songs with a length of 5 min fit onto the player if you encode to 130 kbit/s

About the red 950: Have a look at the player's actual storage prior to calculating. Hardware manufacturers calculate between units using the decimal system instead of the binary one, i.e. they use 10^3 instead of 2^10. Your player might feature storage space around 950 mbyte (1x10^9 byte : 2^10 byte/kbyte : 2^10 kbyte/mbyte = 953,67 mbyte)

Reply #2

IIRC, Apple says 240 for the iGB shuffle. That'd be based on 128kbp files.

I'd have thought that in practice this could be quite variable, because the track-length could vary quite a lot depending on what sort of music someone likes--unless the user only has chart singles on, which are all about the same length and pretty short.

Try a Google serach on some likely keywords. I just tried:

mp3 "fit on" table

Here's the top hit from that search:

http://teamcombooks.com/mp3handbook/16.htm

There's a table in that page: Table 25 - Bit-rates vs. Capacity of Common Storage Media. That bases it on 4 minute tracks and gives 364 at 96kbps, 273 at 128kbps, 218 at 160kbps, and 182 at 192kbps.