Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: freedb-project is dead (Read 81252 times) previous topic - next topic

freedb-project is dead

Reply #50
It stinks that it died because all and I mean all of the cd lookup information I've gotten over the last few years was from freedb. However it's another reminder of no matter how good something is, it won't last forever.

freedb-project is dead

Reply #51
http://www.freedb.org/

The future of freedb

Oh my!  The loss of freedb is a very sad thing.

Somehow, I now feel very "exposed".  A bit like the good guys in something like Star Wars when they take a beating from the bad guys.

This does not feel good.  I hope a workable solution can be found soon.

freedb-project is dead

Reply #52
If you want to use Gracenote CDDB with EAC....

First, download & install the freeware, Player. Perform the CDDB lookup with Player and export the info as "cdplayer.ini."

Then import it into EAC (database->get CD information from->cdplayer.ini.)

freedb-project is dead

Reply #53

Not a bad ideal. cdplayer.ini is also a good backup to have, and is something I wish I had used since the get go because once my CDex LocalCDDB got messed up or corrupted, and when I switched to EAC I wouldn't have had to do CD lookups for all the discs all over again.

freedb-project is dead

Reply #54
If you want to use Gracenote CDDB with EAC....

First, download & install the freeware, Player. Perform the CDDB lookup with Player and export the info as "cdplayer.ini."

Could it be used "in reverse" to submit info to Gracenote?
Something like: enter the new details into EAC, export info as cdplayer.ini, import into Player and submit to Gracenote

??

freedb-project is dead

Reply #55
Not a bad ideal. cdplayer.ini is also a good backup to have, and is something I wish I had used since the get go because once my CDex LocalCDDB got messed up or corrupted, and when I switched to EAC I wouldn't have had to do CD lookups for all the discs all over again.
It may be worth reading post #5 in this thread on cdfreaks.  I'm not sure how true it is.

I do think this is a very good idea - thanks odious_m.

I wonder whether there are other alternatives, e.g.: an application that can retrieve from Gracenote and add the info directly to a local freedb database.  I'm a lazy git, and I can't help thinking that there may be other, more automated processes.
I'm on a horse.

freedb-project is dead

Reply #56
yet another possibility:
http://www.cdarchiv.de/
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

freedb-project is dead

Reply #58
They seem to have no fuzzy matching, and the user password is transmitted as plain text in the query URL.
what do you mean by 'fuzzy matching'?
pw should be transmitted in an encrypted form so one could speculate about the general quality of that service.
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

freedb-project is dead

Reply #59
To get CD information from cdarchiv.de, you have to generate an ID for the disc that you use the request URL you send to their server. In contrast, the recommended way to query to retrieve disc information from freedb also involves computing a disc ID, but you have an intermediate step where you submit both the computed ID and information about the layout of the disc (taken from the TOC) to the server. If the server does not find the ID, it can still use the layout information to compile a list of approximate (or in other words "fuzzy") matches.

freedb-project is dead

Reply #60
The CDDB protocol's 32 bit CD-TOC checksum was crap anyway.
I'm glad to see MusicBrainz support in CDEx

Funny story about diluting freedb: I put a few of my own custom cdrs on freedb.org by accident using the EAC batch submit, which later I forgot what was on them, then much to my surprise I found them again accidentally in freedb!

And it didn't hurt anything!@

freedb has 1.5 million entries cached in google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Afree...:en-US:official

We all know the real reason freedb died was the gracenote debacle.

The coolest thing I've ever seen in freedb:
the Quake (1) Nine Inch Nails soundtrack. Where on earth did they find those "composite song titles":

Trent Reznor (nine inch nails) - Quake (Composite Song Titles)

01.   Game Data Track (Not Audio)      12:05
02.   Quake (Persia Inversion)      05:08
03.   Aftermath (The Life Beneath it All)      02:26
04.   The Hall of Souls (Conscience)      08:20
05.   It is Raped (Freezing Vertigo)      06:05
06.   Parallel Dimensions (The Journey)      07:24
07.   Life (The Hammer)      08:38
08.   Damnation (Ice)      05:35
09.   Focus (Peace?)      06:28
10.   Falling (Violence Inside)      03:32
11.   The Reaction (Death)      05:15

XMCD 4eva!
FreeDB 4eva!
http://www.amb.org/xmcd/

freedb-project is dead

Reply #61
Who is running freedb?

My EAC didn't connect today, and lemme say I was panicked!!! Turned out to be an internet hiccup, but got me wondering how long freedb will be going?

freedb-project is dead

Reply #62
My EAC didn't connect today, and lemme say I was panicked!!! Turned out to be an internet hiccup, but got me wondering how long freedb will be going?

You can switch the freedb server in EAC to a different one until it works (time consuming yes). Then again if none of them work input freedb2.org as the server as mentioned previously in this thread.

freedb-project is dead

Reply #63
freedb has been aquired by MAGIX AG (a german software company I think)
http://www.freedb.org/
With the acquisition of the www.freedb.org domain MAGIX also takes on all duties regarding the worldwide freedb community:

* the entire freedb service has been running since the middle of September on the MAGIX servers (including the FTP download function of the open source database and archive)
    * this service will remain free and without restriction as well as remain freely available to all developers and users independent of the corresponding (non)commercial utilisation
    * all updates to the database will also continue to be regularly and freely available
    * the licence for the data and the corresponding server or service software will remain under GPL

Furthermore, MAGIX runs the mirror server and hosts the website as well as the new forum. This secures a basis for the
prosperity of freedb and its main aim: the data collected by the users for the users will be kept freely available in the
future – guaranteed. MAGIX will add its know-how to help with the continued development of the service according to the GPL.
Every developer from the present community is invited to continue to actively contribute to the successful continuity of freedb.

freedb-project is dead

Reply #64
excellent! I love the new design, too.
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

freedb-project is dead

Reply #65
excellent! I love the new design, too.

1.9. Is it possible to search the online freedb database?
Unfortunately not, we will release a new online search soon.
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

freedb-project is dead

Reply #67
The blank space at the top of the page looked odd so I looked at the source code.  As expected it's all setup to display banner advertising, with proprietary code.

I guess they have a right to display advertising, but this just leads me to wonder whether this is their primary concern...

On re-checking the Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure image is using the same banner serving code.  I wonder how soon this will advertise McDonalds.
I'm on a horse.

freedb-project is dead

Reply #68
As long as they don't do to FreeDB what Gracenote did to CDDB, I think it's fine. Although I prefer MusicBrainz or Discogs, they carry more information

freedb-project is dead

Reply #69
Magix offer products such as "Music Manager" which probably benefit from the freedb service. It seems to me that it's in their own good interest to keep freedb running well.

freedb-project is dead

Reply #70
Maybe the big chance for MusicBrainz?

I doubt it. I've had several heated discussions between the stuck-up snobs that write the naming wiki for MB. They claim that MB isn't going to adapt to be used as a tagging service.

freedb-project is dead

Reply #71
Not? I use it only for tagging, and the new PUID system works like a charm for finding automatic matches.

freedb-project is dead

Reply #72

Maybe the big chance for MusicBrainz?

I doubt it. I've had several heated discussions between the stuck-up snobs that write the naming wiki for MB. They claim that MB isn't going to adapt to be used as a tagging service.

Yes, the styleguides are quite strict regarding naming, but, this is for a reason, namely consistancy in the way data is stored.

As regards tagging, there is a beta service (currently running on my test server) which allows most applications that use freedb as a source to get data from MB instead.

Musicbrainz mb2cddb service

Any questions or problems, let me know

freedb-project is dead

Reply #73
Musicbrainz mb2cddb service
WOW! 

It perfectly works, at least within EAC. I didn't tested with titles containg extended (UTF-8) characters. EAC seems to report "freedb genre" always as "Jazz" (at least with the few, non Jazz, CDs I've tested).

Great!

Sergio

Edit: spelling, formatting
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

freedb-project is dead

Reply #74
EAC seems to report "freedb genre" always as "Jazz" (at least with the few, non Jazz, CDs I've tested).

The freedb category? Yes, where there is only one match in the database for the freedb ID, it returns 'Jazz' as the category, where there are multiple matches, it will use 'Rock' This is due to the vast differences in the way MB data is stored compared with freedb.