Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: problem with alt-preset standard/extreme (Read 13760 times) previous topic - next topic

problem with alt-preset standard/extreme

I found this problem when encoding with --preset medium for my portable. Strangely, --preset standard had the same problem, and --preset extreme too. Not insane, and not ... 128 kbps ! VBR seems to be guilty.
I tried with 3.90.2, 3.93.1 and 3.94a5. Takehiro is good, but the stable codecs have problems.
CBR is good. ABR is good. Funiest thing : --alt-preset fast standard is better than --alt-preset standard [3.90.2].

Instrument is a nice chinese violin, called ehru. The VBR encoding introduce raucous noise.

The file is > here <

Reply #1
i tryed 3.90.2 --alt-preset standard /  - abx 8/8 (weird error/burp at around 3.5 sec)

nice sound btw, where can i get an 'album' like that?
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #2
Yes, same 'burp'. Thanks for answer.

You can find chinese recordings by clicking here. Exact reference is this one.

Reply #3
Huh.. that's one of the worst artifacts I have heard with APS/APX, if not the worst! 
In 3.90.2/3.92/3.93.1 -Z makes it very much better, although I can still hear some slight rumbling.

This is one very good reason why imo --alt-preset extreme should have used -Z in Lame 3.93.1 and before.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #4
nice sound btw, where can i get an 'album' like that?

The instrument is called Er-hu (like my teacher from Taiwan at the Institute of Musicology wrote it) or Erh-hu (like the New Grove Dictionary of Music & Musicians spells it). It is one of the oldest chinese instruments (i.e. more than 1,000 years old, as far as I remember) and - being a guitar player  - also one of my favorites from traditional Chinese music. The dictionary describes it as "a two-string bowed lute also know as nun-hu." It's played with a short bow tied behind the strings (so it won't get lost while conquering the continent on a horse) and placed on the lap of the player in front of him, also sometimes between the knees.
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ - "That lil' ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg..."
INDIGO ROCKS - "Down home rockin' blues. Tasty as strudel."

Reply #5
Interesting...

Nice catch Guru

Reply #6
Interesting...

Nice catch Guru

I was bored by harpsichord

I did a mistake, as Hans-Jürgen said it. It's erhu, not ehru. I'm really sorry for this orthographical error.

Reply #7
It's very confusing for a begginer like me to get a real grasp of the lame alt preset switches, I have an Apple I Pod and would like to encode my cd collection at the maximum quality Lame allowes, I undersand that I should use ( alt Preset Insane Z ) Please bear in mind I am a complete begginner but already have EAC and Lame installed on my PC, could someone please give me step by step help on how to do this... Sorrry to be such a pain...You guys must get fed up with having to put up with us "Newbies". Any help would be very welcome.....Many Thanks ..
                                                                    Andrew

Reply #8
For the Z affair discussed here, get Lame 3.90.3, it's solved (The improvements of Z have been included in the presets).